Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nvspuds

MW Baseball

So, with Boise adding the sport  the MW now has 8 baseball schools.  While I don't begrudge Boise wanting to play baseball, 8 makes for an awkward number.  There will be 21 conference games.  Each team will have (7) 3 game series but 4 schools a year will play four of the series on the road and 3 at home.  4 schools get four at home  3 on the road.  That is not a good balance as only 4 schools go to the MW tourney.  Those extra three home games may make all the difference.

I liked it better when there were only 7 schools playing baseball.  If and or when Boise bolts then problem solved.  If they stay 8 schools it is not all that helpful. 

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

So, with Boise adding the sport  the MW now has 8 baseball schools.  While I don't begrudge Boise wanting to play baseball, 8 makes for an awkward number.  There will be 21 conference games.  Each team will have (7) 3 game series but 4 schools a year will play four of the series on the road and 3 at home.  4 schools get four at home  3 on the road.  That is not a good balance as only 4 schools go to the MW tourney.  Those extra three home games may make all the difference.

I liked it better when there were only 7 schools playing baseball.  If and or when Boise bolts then problem solved.  If they stay 8 schools it is not all that helpful. 

It's already uneven considering you could have to play the best team on the road whereas another team might get them at home.  With lopsided series that's just what will happen.  And doesn't really matter for anything besides seeding in the tournament anyway.  If you can't finish 4th you aren't going to win the tournament anyway.

Plus, like @halfmanhalfbronco says, it's not going to matter when Boise is winning 70% of their conference games in a couple years.  Might not even take that long with a down Fresno squad.

Please merge with 2020 MW Baseball thread.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I would agree in terms of the unequal scheduling. 

How is it that Boise manages to screw up everything ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

19 hours ago, nvspuds said:

8 makes for an awkward number.  There will be 21 conference games.  Each team will have (7) 3 game series but 4 schools a year will play four of the series on the road and 3 at home.  4 schools get four at home  3 on the road.  That is not a good balance as only 4 schools go to the MW tourney. 

Why do most teams in last years standings have 30 conference games played.  Why not just have 21 conference game season for seeds and allow everyone to play in the conference tournament with 2-loss elimination?  Or give the top 4 teams byes and have 3 game series for semifinals and championship.

I would prefer more conference games. Play a double header on Saturday. 28 conference games and reduced cost for each program. I get it’s weird having even game series but who cares? Think outside the box and keep costs down. 

Who is Boise going to play midweek? Those games have killed Nevada the past several years as it’s done horrible in them. Nevada is within a roughly four hour bus trip of 7 other D1 programs. 

Edit: actually 8. I forgot Santa Clara. 

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Why do most teams in last years standings have 30 conference games played.  Why not just have 21 conference game season for seeds and allow everyone to play in the conference tournament with 2-loss elimination?  Or give the top 4 teams byes and have 3 game series for semifinals and championship.

I hate this idea. Baseball boils down to pitching. Either reward the top four teams by giving them an equal chance at winning the tourney or don’t have a tourney and reward the team that won the regular season. As a Nevada fan god knows we’d love to see the regular season champ advance cause we suck in the MWC tourneys. 

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Not in the big picture but it got you to comment..

Well if the thread was titled “Some schools will play slightly more league road games then others” I probably wouldn’t have clicked on it. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well if the thread was titled “Some schools will play slightly more league road games then others” I probably wouldn’t have clicked on it. 

I have no control over your interest level.  

Santa Clara completed a four game weekend sweep of San Jose State today. :blink: