Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Colorado State

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV is gonna clean up on the last third of the conference schedule.  The toughest game is at SDSU.

It's true that after the usu game our schedule is home heavy with the better teams. We got that going for us which is nice. I think it's still too early to really start putting stock on who finishes where though. Lots of games to be played yet. 

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

So youre comparing Wood, who could not get off the bench for a terrible Tulane team that won 4 games all yr his freshmen season, to Gordon Hayward who scored 13+ points per game for a 26 win Butler team that went to the NCAAs in his freshman season????

But no one takes me seriously?????

Okay

But I do believe Gordon avgd more rebounds than Moses did points. Not saying Wood wont turn out to be all MW, but based on whos playing now, and the hype around guys like Tillman..Antonio. Im going to be cautiously optimistic.

Moses Wood was a freshmen last year.  And I said poor man’s.  Meaning he will be a four year player who probably won’t even sniff the NBA.

BTW, just because you play on a bad team doesn’t mean you’re a bad player.  The Lakers missed the playoffs with Kobe Bryant in 2004-05, and he’s a top ten player of all time.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

CSU had a similar issue in their first year under Medved.  Solid offensive performance and ole defense. He vowed to correct it this season and has. You’ll see something similar out of Otzelberger. You’ll see departures considered unexpected by fans but welcomed by the coaching staff because of what they’ve dealt with this season.  CSU had a player last season who the fans thought was a good player but he drove the coaches nuts with his practice ethic and selfish play during games.

Who was the player?

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Not gonna say.

Man, what a difference a year makes.  I had completely forgotten.  Looked at the roster from 2018-19, and 10 players are gone from last year's roster... and look where we stand now.  I certainly don't mean to diss last year's players, but there is no other explanation for this except for "addition by subtraction."  Medved has us positioned very well.  Seems to me that the one thing that remains missing from it becoming a well-oiled machine is to balance out the classes a bit.  

Attrition from last year: Sabino, James, Berwick, Masinton-Bonner, Paige, Jenkins, Ryan, Tyson, Schoemann, Bannec.

6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Man, what a difference a year makes.  I had completely forgotten.  Looked at the roster from 2018-19, and 10 players are gone from last year's roster... and look where we stand now.  I certainly don't mean to diss last year's players, but there is no other explanation for this except for "addition by subtraction."  Medved has us positioned very well.  Seems to me that the one thing that remains missing from it becoming a well-oiled machine is to balance out the classes a bit.  

Attrition from last year: Sabino, James, Berwick, Masinton-Bonner, Paige, Jenkins, Ryan, Tyson, Schoemann, Bannec.

You guys might be a little thin down low next year without Niko. Thomas is solid but Thistlewood is undersized and I like Roddy out on the wing creating mismatches.

10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Moses Wood was a freshmen last year.  And I said poor man’s.  Meaning he will be a four year player who probably won’t even sniff the NBA.

BTW, just because you play on a bad team doesn’t mean you’re a bad player.  The Lakers missed the playoffs with Kobe Bryant in 2004-05, and he’s a top ten player of all time.

No ph. Bad players dont get off the bench for bad teams. At that point he was bad. Maybe now hes all world, but saying theres no cause to be concerned is pollyanna.

3 hours ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

You guys might be a little thin down low next year without Niko. Thomas is solid but Thistlewood is undersized and I like Roddy out on the wing creating mismatches.

It is always difficult to replace a player like Nico Carvacho. Pretty much 10+ rebounds every time he steps on the floor.

His position is also a critical part of CSU,s halfcourt offense. One of the keys to CSU’s success on offense is the timing of getting into halfcourt sets after running transition offensive patterns. The set usually begins with a pass to the center in the high post. Carvacho makes it look simple. I watched enough practices last summer to be able to say it’s not as simple as it looks. Dischon Thomas won the backup job over fellow freshman big James Moors because he was better at this part of the game. CSU runs multiple actions off of these high post sets and Thomas handled the complexities pretty well.

The hope is that Thomas will be able to make the leap from 10 minutes backup per game to starters minutes And that James Moors, with a full year in the program already, can be successful in a backup role. They have a 7footer coming in the 2020 recruiting class but he’s an obvious redshirt candidate after tearing up his knee. They also have one scholarship available that could be used on a grad transfer big if the right one comes along..

I trust that our staff will figure all of this stuff out. They’re really good at talent/ chemistry evaluation. Rams already have players sitting out this year who should be able to slide in seamlessly for seniors Kris Martin and Hyron Edwards. On paper they’re looking good for the next two seasons. It’s absolutely staggering what they will return next season compared to the other programs in the league, both in terms of today’s skills and future development.

I believe the biggest x-factor will be David Roddy.  He has grown by leaps and bounds throughout this season and his ceiling looks to be incredibly high.  

First time in awhile I thought the Rebels took a step backwards in regards to their play on the court.  A lot had to due with CSU, but no way should they have lost by that much.  I hope this was just one of those games and not a prelude to how the rest of the season will go, up and down.  I figured we were due for a game like this.  Hope the Rebels don't dwell on it for too long.  Have another tough one on Wednesday at Utah State.  Gonna have to shoot much better to have a shot. 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, -X- said:

We will kick the shit out of CSU in Vegas.... 

Ahem....

Happy Nba All Star GIF by NBA

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of Rebellion" -Ablert Camus