Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

2020 MWC Softball Thread

5 hours ago, Anon5251042 said:

SJSU had a 17-game winning streak. They set a new record of winning 14 in a row against North Dakota!

That 17-game winning streak was snapped by St. John's losing the game 3-2.

Regardless of that, we're 18-3 overall.

SAN JOSE has a very good team,cant wait to see what they can do with the MWC

4 hours ago, doggystyleu2 said:

SAN JOSE has a very good team,cant wait to see what they can do with the MWC

Hell yeah, can't wait to upset Washington!!! MWC is a strong softball conference.

Congrats to y'all for beating Texas!

Crud.  Lost the final game in Vegas to New Mexico State today 8 - 10.  However, took the other 4 games Friday and Saturday with this margin 44 - 6 consolidated v UNLV, UTEP, New Mexico State, and UTEP.  Dang...I think I want our softball HC to take over the football program given that landslide success.  B)

Come usual Monday rankings tomorrow I expect my softball squad to break the Top 25 prior to next weekend's tournament in Norman with a double header Baylor mid week in between.  Prior to today, 11-0 tear, including ranked Texas Tech a bit ago.  Yahoo. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Nice article at NCAA.com recognizing Fresno State and UCF returning to the rankings after multi-year absences.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2020-03-03/college-softball-rankings-ucf-fresno-state-return-after-multi-year

MWC rankings in the various softball polls. In a nod to Coog kev I included the AAC teams.

USAToday/NFCA Coaches Poll

22. UCF

25. Fresno State

Others receiving votes: San Jose State, Houston, Tulsa

D1Softball.com Poll

24. UCF

25. Fresno State

ESPN/USA Softball Poll

22. UCF

Others receiving votes: Fresno State, South Florida

Fresno biffed it by choking away a very winnable game at Stanford, and stranding a ton of runners vs. Michigan to lose 1-0. 

Fresno is 16-4 and played a murderous schedule. Of those 4 losses, 2 were against top 10 ranked teams (Florida, Washington) and 2 were against ranked teams (Michigan, and at the time Stanford)

They will be very well prepared come MWC play.

Props to Fresno and UCF.  My ladies remain in the Others department for now re tabulation.  It's an absent week for My ladies.  Baylor up next.  And hosting up Texas for 2 start of April. 

32 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Props to Fresno and UCF.  My ladies remain in the Others department for now re tabulation.  It's an absent week for My ladies.  Baylor up next.  And hosting up Texas for 2 start of April. 

The Cougs were really impressive this last weekend. Even with the tough loss to NMSU after putting up 8 in the first inning. 

Thx, reb.  Good news for you.  Coog baseball goes to UNLV Tuesday and Wednesday next week right after likely losing the at Arizona series starting tomorrow. 

Coog baseball has no legs to it at all this season thus far.  However, in all fairness, Coog baseball is a good brand to beat.  Go Rebs...(seriously, no joke).  My ladies and my men playing America's Passtime really dig Vegas this year.  And why not?  It's a great travel trip for any squad.  B)

19 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Thx, reb.  Good news for you.  Coog baseball goes to UNLV Tuesday and Wednesday next week right after likely losing the at Arizona series starting tomorrow. 

Coog baseball has no legs to it at all this season thus far.  However, in all fairness, Coog baseball is a good brand to beat.  Go Rebs...(seriously, no joke).  My ladies and my men playing America's Passtime really dig Vegas this year.  And why not?  It's a great travel trip for any squad.  B)

Rebel baseball is a joke this year too. No pitching, not going to be a good year

2 hours ago, Anon5251042 said:

SJSU will take on #2 Washington @ 2pm PT after coming off with a bad loss against UCSB.

UCSB was picked to finish last in the Big West.  They went 3-3 vs the MWC in 2020.  Ouch, SAN.  ouch

los angeles basketball GIF

Fresno State beat BYU Thursday 8-0, East Carolina on Friday 8-5, North Dakota State on Friday 6-5, North Dakota State on Saturday 8-7. They take on UC Davis in Fresno in a few minutes.

Fresno State is currently 14-0 at home this season.

Of Fresno's 4 losses, 3 were winnable to ranked teams. They've been run-ruled once (#2 Washington) 8-0 . Lost to #16 Michigan 1-0, #7 Florida 6-4 and beat #3 Texas 4-3.

Dogs start conference play next weekend at Boise who appears to be all over the map which points to them having a young but talented team. And cold and damp conditions have a way of quieting bats which has saved the Dogs often this season.

Fresno State averaged about 1,087 fans per game for the weekend (over 5,000 total fans for the 5 games).

That is similar to the average per game the last few seasons when the team was not ranked. Given how the team is playing, hopefully more fans start turning out.