Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Spartans Athletics: Their stadium is almost unbelievable.

Guest #1Stunner

I guess I missed it.  Is an entire sideline of their "stadium" really just a grass berm now? 

Wow.  What's the time frame to replace it?  I'm almost surprised that this isn't a violation of the membership.   

(not trying to bash on San Jose State, I feel bad for their fans....  Their administration has let them down)

sparty.jpg?w=646

Guest #1Stunner

A different view of the "stadium".

I assume those rolled out dead grass things on the end are what they put in by freeway overpasses, to reduce erosion?

IMG_8054-2-e1567147832198-1024x683.jpg

Berm coming down in the next few months.....30+ M has been raised for renovation of the east side of the stadium.....New video board at the North End Zone....Major improvements at South Campus including new soccer field, tennis facility, golf practice facility and softball stadium.  Currently under construction is a 4 story parking facility...... 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, dudleyDgroot said:

Berm coming down in the next few months.....30+ M has been raised for renovation of the east side of the stadium.....New video board at the North End Zone....Major improvements at South Campus including new soccer field, tennis facility, golf practice facility and softball stadium.  Currently under construction is a 4 story parking facility...... 

Great news.  Glad to hear this.

SJSU definitely needed a new stadium / remodeled football stadium.   The basketball arena also needs major help...

Please post an artist's rendition of the new stands that will be constructed at the stadium once it is out.

Hopefully BYU will schedule more games against SJSU (it is one of the nicer cities in the MWC, for sure).

Stunner,

This has been discussed several times. I’ll give you the facts and not the SJSU PR fluff. SJSU has had plans to build a football complex that has been discussed for nearly a decade, but they’ve been unable to raise the funds. About 2 years ago they changed gears and moved it from the end-zone to the east side. The administration then came out with some sketches that illustrated the entire east side of the stadium would be renovated. Problem was, they still hadn’t raised the funds. 

Fast forward to last year, their top fundraiser is suspiciously forced to step down, they hold a ground breaking, destroy their seats, and claim a timeline of 4 years to rebuild the seats and build the complex. Problem is, they still don’t have the funds to rebuild, but hope they can do so in that time frame. Originally, their administration claimed the berm would be removed this month. Now that timeline is suspected to have been pushed to May. No word from their administration.  

As a side note, an ESPN announcer said during a broadcast that SJSU was forced to destroy the seats for “safety reasons”. SJSU fans will claim that they were destroyed in order to move infrastructure- but none of this makes sense. Why destroy the seats without actually starting any construction? I believe the ESPN announcer has it right. The seats were probably unsafe (see Mugs photos when he visited) so the administration destroyed them without the funds to begin construction on replacing them. 

I hope the SJSU administration gets this done. They have a reputation for announcing projects for which they don’t have plans to complete. The golf complex was never completed. The softball field still doesn’t have seats. They destroyed their track and their baseball Field without ever replacing them. 

To end, here’s a graphic that highlights SJSU’s fundraising woes

C3C6D74B-39D3-4578-B92A-64D4F7DAF5D0.jpeg

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

38 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Seating capacity pls in San Jose?  I'm guessing 30k ish.  "intimimate" like SMU and Tulane. 

Good guess. The capacity was 30,456 before renovation began. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEFCU_Stadium

50 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I guess I missed it.  Is an entire sideline of their "stadium" really just a grass berm now? 

Wow.  What's the time frame to replace it?  I'm almost surprised that this isn't a violation of the membership.   

(not trying to bash on San Jose State, I feel bad for their fans....  Their administration has let them down)

sparty.jpg?w=646

It's a FAQ of course! https://www.reddit.com/r/SJSUSpartans/wiki/index#wiki_why_is_one_side_.28the_east_side.29_of_the_stadium_replaced_with_grass.3F_what_happened_to_the_seats.3F

From what I heard, they're going to demolish it and rebuild it along with the new FB Operations Building within a time frame of 5 years or less.

50 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

A different view of the "stadium".

I assume those rolled out dead grass things on the end are what they put in by freeway overpasses, to reduce erosion?

IMG_8054-2-e1567147832198-1024x683.jpg

The “SAN JOSE” crowd chant has now literally been cut in half, to just “SAN!” 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Stunner,

This has been discussed several times. I’ll give you the facts and not the SJSU PR fluff. SJSU has had plans to build a football complex that has been discussed for nearly a decade, but they’ve been unable to raise the funds. About 2 years ago they changed gears and moved it from the end-zone to the east side. The administration then came out with some sketches that illustrated the entire east side of the stadium would be renovated. Problem was, they still hadn’t raised the funds. 

Fast forward to last year, their top fundraiser is suspiciously forced to step down, they hold a ground breaking, destroy their seats, and claim a timeline of 4 years to rebuild the seats and build the complex. Problem is, they still don’t have the funds to rebuild, but hope they can do so in that time frame. Originally, their administration claimed the berm would be removed this month. Now that timeline is suspected to have been pushed to May. No word from their administration.  

As a side note, an ESPN announcer said during a broadcast that SJSU was forced to destroy the seats for “safety reasons”. SJSU fans will claim that they were destroyed in order to move infrastructure- but none of this makes sense. Why destroy the seats without actually starting any construction? I believe the ESPN announcer has it right. The seats were probably unsafe (see Mugs photos when he visited) so the administration destroyed them without the funds to begin construction on replacing them. 

I hope the SJSU administration gets this done. They have a reputation for announcing projects for which they don’t have plans to complete. The golf complex was never completed. The softball field still doesn’t have seats. They destroyed their track and their baseball Field without ever replacing them. 

To end, here’s a graphic that highlights SJSU’s fundraising woes

C3C6D74B-39D3-4578-B92A-64D4F7DAF5D0.jpeg

Thanks for the summary.

I do feel bad for Spartans fans, because they deserve better.

They are in a good market. 

It appears that they have too many alums that simply refuse to support the school (tech Industry, and a lot of foreign students).  Sucks.

Spartans fans.  I hope that you guys get as nice of a place as Hawaii, SDSU, and CSU.

1 hour ago, nielsbohr said:

It's a great idea.  A perfect place to spread out a blanket, drop acid, and watch top tier college football.

Yup.  You'd have a great view, unobstructed.  Just chill and enjoy the show.

When I went to a Minnesota Gopher baseball game last season there were a couple patches of grass for fans to spread out a blanket.  It's not a bad concept.20190504_161924.jpg.b9a4427602b050becd01cd04f43a9a0b.jpg.23e9e0bab8f9f814a059c2c1839ff653.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, nielsbohr said:

It's a great idea.  A perfect place to spread out a blanket, drop acid, and watch top tier college football.

I was going to tag @Joe from WY on your post, but he already had given it a thumbs up.

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

This thread is shit until @Cincy gets here.

What TTT and the ESPN announcer said is true. 

The East side bleachers were condemned for safety issues. We’ve all seen the pics and heard the stories. Feet breaking through certain wooden steps (which @Mike Morgan said we’re replaced with new aluminum steps but we came to find out the wood steps were just painted with a new coat of blue paint), crumpled aluminum bleacher seats, etc.

It all looks very promising. 

17 minutes ago, Cincy said:

What TTT and the ESPN announcer said is true. 

The East side bleachers were condemned for safety issues. We’ve all seen the pics and heard the stories. Feet breaking through certain wooden steps (which @Mike Morgan said we’re replaced with new aluminum steps but we came to find out the wood steps were just painted with a new coat of blue paint), crumpled aluminum bleacher seats, etc.

It all looks very promising. 

So inaccurate!