Swedish

Official: Rocky Long hired as DC and LB coach at New Mexico

Nice grab Lobos.  I'm excited to see what him and Gonzales can put together

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I'm baffled by this move. Don't get me wrong, It is an A+ pickup by the Lobos but seems like a big step back for Rocky. The pressure at SDSU must of really got to him. 

• Idiot 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Swedish said:

Confirmed by Coach Gonz on Twitter.

Link?

There's no place like home.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Swedish said:

Confirmed by Coach Gonz on Twitter.

Can you link his Twitter, or another source? 

Wow, congrats!  New Mexico will be near the top of the conference in a matter of years.  The MWC could be a damn tough conference.  I was really hoping that Wyoming had a shot to land Rocky.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

When I try to link it, it says that I'm banned from the MWCBoard. Super weird. I promise you its there. Just search for it on Twitter

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'm baffled by this move. Don't get me wrong, It is an A+ pickup by the Lobos but seems like a big step back for Rocky. The pressure at SDSU must of really got to him. 

How so?   This is big step up for Rocky. When you are his age and have his money, you don't need the headaches that come with being the head coach and the micromanaging efforts of SDSU's administration.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I am bummed out. I love Rocky, not many like him around.  Congrats to NM and getting him to come back to his school.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

How so?   This is big step up for Rocky. When you are his age and have his money, you don't need the headaches that come with being the head coach and the micromanaging efforts of SDSU's administration.

I've never been hesitant to criticize SDSU's administration but it's been on the basis of inconsistent competence so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As to Rocky, they threw out the mold after making him. My only annoyance is the length of time it took him to decide his future because it might be leaving SDSU in a lurch. However, I'm sure it was a tough decision for the guy.

12 minutes ago, Swedish said:

When I try to link it, it says that I'm banned from the MWCBoard. Super weird. I promise you its there. Just search for it on Twitter

When it says you’re banned does it say cloudflare on it?

Test

• Cheers 1

AWESOME!

Nice get Lobos!!!!

• Like 1

Fantastic news for Lobo football and the MWC.  Very glad coach Long is staying in conference.  Solid beginning for the rebuild at UNM.

• Like 2

Damn. Was hoping he'd end up as the Poke DC. 

Helluva hire by UNM. Great job Lobos. Hopefully you guys get back to respectability in short order. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

When it says you’re banned does it say cloudflare on it?

It does. It was pretty strange.

3 minutes ago, Swedish said:

It does. It was pretty strange.

I have a firewall on because I was getting a bunch of spam activity from overseas.  I thought I cleared it though so you wouldn’t encounter it.  I’ll have to check what triggered it and see if I can fix it. 

31 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Rocky does what he wants.  His wife was important in the decision making as well.  They have friends in New Mexico.  She loves horses, which makes NM q good choice.  He is also going to coach for a guy he mentored for a program he obviously has a soft spot for.  I'm not surprised at all.  At his age, not all moves are motivated by money or prestige.  

He had been at SDSU awhile too.  Sometimes change is good as well for people.  The last thing, it could have been a weird dynamic in the program as well where a lot of the players were used to him as HC, but then he would have just been DC.  This gives him a fresh start 

• Like 5