Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swedish

Official: Rocky Long hired as DC and LB coach at New Mexico

Image result for finally the rock has come back home gif

Good job Lobos, awesome news!

I wish this could give me hope that Chris Petersen would come back to Boise State as the OC. ;) 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Good job Lobos, awesome news!

I wish this could give me hope that Chris Petersen would come back to Boise State as the OC. ;) 

I think he is holding out for an Outside Wide Receivers slot to open up. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So instead of riding off into the sunset, literally on a paddle board, in San Diego, he takes a demotion and a pay cut in ABQ.  I love me some green chile but wtf? 

Rocky loves football!  What he doesn't seem to like are some of the headaches that arose being SDSU's head coach and the questioning of his guidance over the team's offensive direction and philosophy.  Solution - take a different job that might be a lower pay but that meets the criteria for a job that you will enjoy.  I've taken two jobs with significant pay cuts in my career and have been damn happy with the decision both times and I am a hell of a lot younger than Rocky.

12 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

How about Air Force? Rocky’s 3-3-4 owns the Falcons.

If there was any question before it's a done deal now.  Air Force is leaving the MWC!

I'm sure Mr. Frickin Howdy Doody was in the AD's office this morning complaining and whinning as per usual.........

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So instead of riding off into the sunset, literally on a paddle board, in San Diego, he takes a demotion and a pay cut in ABQ.  I love me some green chile but wtf? 

From an outside perspective, it may seem odd, but Rocky has always been unique. He was a guy that when he was head coach at UNM used to lift weights with the defensive players. Rocky is old school football. He still owns a house here and I think his heart was always sort of here. I obviously can't speak for Coach Long, but I think he's all about the challenge of helping to build/rebuild UNM's football culture. Probably views it as his last great coaching challenge/legacy. Regardless, this is good for UNM and ultimately good for the conference. You can already see the culture shift from the Davie "we're only New Mexico" mindset to we expect something more. I'm excited. Now the community needs to support football like they do a 6th tier professional soccer team.