Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swedish

Official: Rocky Long hired as DC and LB coach at New Mexico

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'm baffled by this move. Don't get me wrong, It is an A+ pickup by the Lobos but seems like a big step back for Rocky. The pressure at SDSU must of really got to him. 

How so?   This is big step up for Rocky. When you are his age and have his money, you don't need the headaches that come with being the head coach and the micromanaging efforts of SDSU's administration.

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

How so?   This is big step up for Rocky. When you are his age and have his money, you don't need the headaches that come with being the head coach and the micromanaging efforts of SDSU's administration.

I've never been hesitant to criticize SDSU's administration but it's been on the basis of inconsistent competence so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As to Rocky, they threw out the mold after making him. My only annoyance is the length of time it took him to decide his future because it might be leaving SDSU in a lurch. However, I'm sure it was a tough decision for the guy.

Boom goes the dynamite.

12 minutes ago, Swedish said:

When I try to link it, it says that I'm banned from the MWCBoard. Super weird. I promise you its there. Just search for it on Twitter

When it says you’re banned does it say cloudflare on it?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Damn. Was hoping he'd end up as the Poke DC. 

Helluva hire by UNM. Great job Lobos. Hopefully you guys get back to respectability in short order. 

3 minutes ago, Swedish said:

It does. It was pretty strange.

I have a firewall on because I was getting a bunch of spam activity from overseas.  I thought I cleared it though so you wouldn’t encounter it.  I’ll have to check what triggered it and see if I can fix it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

31 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'm baffled by this move. Don't get me wrong, It is an A+ pickup by the Lobos but seems like a big step back for Rocky. The pressure at SDSU must of really got to him. 

Rocky does what he wants.  His wife was important in the decision making as well.  They have friends in New Mexico.  She loves horses, which makes NM q good choice.  He is also going to coach for a guy he mentored for a program he obviously has a soft spot for.  I'm not surprised at all.  At his age, not all moves are motivated by money or prestige.  

He had been at SDSU awhile too.  Sometimes change is good as well for people.  The last thing, it could have been a weird dynamic in the program as well where a lot of the players were used to him as HC, but then he would have just been DC.  This gives him a fresh start