Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

MW B-ball salaries

TJO’s salary is the same as Kruger’s last salary at UNLV 10 years prior. UNLV tried going cheap to the tune of about 60% of what was already being budgeted. The results speak for themselves. I’m still not convinced that anyone on Maryland Prky has ever added up the MILLIONS lost over the past decade since making their piss poor decisions. 

We are now in year one of the new direction being set. New and professional hand on the tiller of the AD. Time will tell. 

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Weir is overpaid.

Otzelburger is overpaid. I think they could have gotten him for less.

Dutch is maybe a little underpaid. Pretty sure that will change this year.

And Edwards is on the way out so it doesn't really matter.

All the others seem about right considering experience and/or results.

If Edwards makes over minimum wage then he is overpaid.  Thankfully he is gone after this year and hopefully Wyoming will spend some money on a good hire.  

49 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

TJO’s salary is the same as Kruger’s last salary at UNLV 10 years prior. UNLV tried going cheap to the tune of about 60% of what was already being budgeted. The results speak for themselves. I’m still not convinced that anyone on Maryland Prky has ever added up the MILLIONS lost over the past decade since making their piss poor decisions. 

We are now in year one of the new direction being set. New and professional hand on the tiller of the AD. Time will tell. 

Did UNLV learn their lesson? Kruger resurrected the program by taking us back to the Sweet-16 and making us perennial NCAA Tourney Team again....that little taste of success makes UNLV think they deserve more. Plus they were fresh off of getting bounced in the 1st Round by Illinois where Charles Barkley called UNLV the "Walkin' Rebels" on national TV..... Ouch.

Oklahoma calls and offers Kruger a raise at $1.5 mill vs. his UNLV salary of $1.1 mill

Kruger says no and that he's going to finish his career out at UNLV.

Oklahoma calls again and offers double his salary at $2.2 million.

Dave Rice calls and throws his hat in the ring, promises his team's will run like the Tark teams of old for $500k. 

UNLV doesn't counter Oklahoma's offer and lets Kruger walk.

If TJO is the guy that gets us back in the Dance on a regular basis, and if a mid-tier P5 Iowa St. comes along and tries to offer him a raise, UNLV better counter this time. They only thing this program can't afford is to rebuild again.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

If you pay on the cheap, you get cheap results, and if you win the coach is going to leave. A good coach boosts attendance and pays for his salary in ten games, ie, 10,000 fans x10 games x $10 per ticket. 

In Boise States case it’s 15 games. 5,000 fans x 15 games x $10 per ticket. 

41 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If you pay on the cheap, you get cheap results, and if you win the coach is going to leave. A good coach boosts attendance and pays for his salary in ten games, ie, 10,000 fans x10 games x $10 per ticket. 

UNLV makes way more than that because they have by-far the highest ticket prices in the MWC. The hottest ticket in the conference is at Viejas and they had tickets run from $10 to $20 for Tier 2 games and $20 to $40 for Tier 1 Games. That's dirt cheap to watch a Top-5 school play when they average a sell-out every game....Which is why the resale market is ridiculous for them. 

Meanwhile UNLV is stuck charging like Runnin' Rebel basketball is still the #1 show on the Strip...

image.png.781e8ce6f1ead31e41755d46364914e1.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

4 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV makes way more than that because they have by-far the highest ticket prices in the MWC. The hottest ticket in the conference is at Viejas and they had tickets run from $10 to $20 for Tier 2 games and $20 to $40 for Tier 1 Games. That's dirt cheap to watch a Top-5 school play when they average a sell-out every game....Which is why the resale market is ridiculous for them. 

Meanwhile is UNLV stuck charging like Runnin' Rebel basketball is still the #1 show on the Strip...

image.png.781e8ce6f1ead31e41755d46364914e1.png

Yikes, you guys charge Boise State football ticket prices for basketball in the lower levels. No wonder your attendance is down.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Yikes, you guys charge Boise State football ticket prices for basketball in the lower levels. No wonder your attendance is down.

Most of those lower bowl tickets are sold but never have butts in the seats. Even those were starting to go back on the block. 

2 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Did UNLV learn their lesson? Kruger resurrected the program by taking us back to the Sweet-16 and making us perennial NCAA Tourney Team again....that little taste of success makes UNLV think they deserve more. Plus they were fresh off of getting bounced in the 1st Round by Illinois where Charles Barkley called UNLV the "Walkin' Rebels" on national TV..... Ouch.

Oklahoma calls and offers Kruger a raise at $1.5 mill vs. his UNLV salary of $1.1 mill

Kruger says no and that he's going to finish his career out at UNLV.

Oklahoma calls again and offers double his salary at $2.2 million.

Dave Rice calls and throws his hat in the ring, promises his team's will run like the Tark teams of old for $500k. 

UNLV doesn't counter Oklahoma's offer and lets Kruger walk.

If TJO is the guy that gets us back in the Dance on a regular basis, and if a mid-tier P5 Iowa St. comes along and tries to offer him a raise, UNLV better counter this time. They only thing this program can't afford is to rebuild again.

I would contend, from a non-biased perspective, that UNLV is as good as any mid-tier P5 job.

5 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

What is the length of Dutcher's contract?

And...how much will it take to keep him from the P5 piranhas?

Somehow the MW needs to hold onto our successful coaches...perhaps an impossible task.

I don't really see Dutch having any P5 ambitions...he's followed Fisher around for 30 years and could've taken his shot at a HC job anytime during that--why make a big career now that he's 60 and finally has Fish's job at the program they built? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

I don't really see Dutch having any P5 ambitions...he's followed Fisher around for 30 years and could've taken his shot at a HC job anytime during that--why make a big career now that he's 60 and finally has Fish's job at the program they built? 

Makes sense. But SDSU will have to be somewhat competitive when that time comes.

18 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

What they make

The pre-bonus salaries of the Mountain West’s head coaches for men’s basketball for the 2019-20 season:

T.J. Otzelberger, UNLV $1.1 million

Brian Dutcher, SDSU $855,424

Paul Weir, New Mexico $775,000

Leon Rice, Boise State $725,000

Niko Medved, Colorado State $725,000

Craig Smith, Utah State $675,000

Justin Hutson, Fresno State $525,000

Allen Edwards, Wyoming $510,008

Steve Alford, Nevada $500,000#

Jean Prioleau, San Jose State $400,008

Dave Pilipovich, Air Force N/A

#Alford is making $500,000 in each of his first two seasons at Nevada while UCLA pays him a $2.4 million settlement. In 2021-22, Alford’s salary rises to $1.4 million as part of a 10-year contract worth $12 million.

Source:SDTribune

Respond. Who's making to much, who's under valued ?

Thanks for the info @Spaztecs. If you don’t mind, Im going to borrow your thread info, and post it on TRM. Will be interesting to read Lobo fans reactions, when they see how much Weir is making. Personally, i thought Weir was in the 600k range.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Thanks for the info @Spaztecs. If you don’t mind, Im going to borrow your thread info, and post it on TRM. Will be interesting to read Lobo fans reactions, when they see how much Weir is making. Personally, i thought Weir was in the 600k range.

I'll sue for plagarism, damages and trademark infringement if you do. After I'm done with you, you'll be looking over your shoulders at the SDTrib.

:rolleyes:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

14 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I'll sue for plagarism, damages and trademark infringement if you do. After I'm done with you, you'll be looking over your shoulders at the SDTrib.

:rolleyes:

Covered... said i got the info, gave the props... to you! You’re famous at TRM now, all 15 posters!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

They’re all overpaid. But thats the reality of the situation.

Keepers:

Dutcher

Otz

Smith

Alford

Medved

Rice

Jury Still Out:

Hutson (I lean toward Keeper)

Weir (I lean toward Fire’Em)

Fire ‘Em:

Edwards