Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ibanez

Looks like Air Force is looking to leave the MWC as well.

Just now, Ibanez said:

But the headline says "This piece from the fall is picking up steam." So they are claiming AF is looking to leave the conference. They have yet to provide me a witness, name or even other outlets with the story. 

Well, I'm shocked.  They usually have great sources and plenty of credibility to back up a story.

If I recall the AFA was considered for an invite to the Big 12 during their last expansion.  Their commandant squashed the idea because of the travel involved.  End of story.

1 hour ago, aztech said:

If I recall the AFA was considered for an invite to the Big 12 during their last expansion.  Their commandant squashed the idea because of the travel involved.

+ concern about their smallish football players being in a power conference because they already get beat up quite a bit playing in the MWC

And it should be pointed out the the problem with travel isn't so much with the cost since the AFA has a few planes of its own but with the additional time on the road which might render problematic keeping up with the stringent academics.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

+ concern about their smallish football players being in a power conference because they already get beat up quite a bit playing in the MWC

And it should be pointed out the the problem with travel isn't so much with the cost since the AFA has a few planes of its own but with the additional time on the road which might render problematic keeping up with the stringent academics.

I could be wrong, but I believe that it's been pointed out here by (real) AFA fans that the government does not fund the FB program.  I'm sure there's some crossover like meals etc., but travel costs and other expenses are funded by a private QB club type entity.  The Air Force has plenty of planes, but it doesn't sound like that's really the answer.

I'd really love to see a breakdown of where the budget comes from, and details regarding how it's spent.

I agree that it's probably a lot harder for them to adhere to a cadet routine on the road than it is for our student athletes to adhere to theirs.  Academics?  Maybe a little but every school has a few engineering and grad students on the roster.  That has to be hard on every student athlete.  Sure it's Astrophysics and Aeronautics but the time commitment would probably be the same as what it took me to learn Calculus.  They are supposedly smarter.

2 hours ago, aztech said:

If I recall the AFA was considered for an invite to the Big 12 during their last expansion.  Their commandant squashed the idea because of the travel involved.  End of story.

It was in 2011, and thats not why.  The folks at AFA, to their credit, realized they would have been out of their depth.  And they said so, too.  Travel would been no big deal.

According to then Air Force AD Hans Mueh, no not the villain from Diehard, Air Force was approached by the Big 12 right around the time A&M to the SEC talk was heating up. According to Mueh,  “We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we’re not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but recruiting makes no sense for us. I can’t recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.”

The rigors of the Big 12 were also foremost on Mueh's mind, "[t]hat’s why I turned down the Big 12. I can’t do that to my kids, because they’ll get beat up. I’d love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I’d spend the money. I’d build a new soccer stadium, and I’d build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can’t do that.”

If AF leaves as well then the Mountain West should look at adding Montana and Montana State or North Dakota State and South Dakota State, could have the following divisions:

MOUNTAIN: Montana/NDSU, Montana State/SDSU, WYO, CSU, USU, UNM

WEST: Hawaii, UNLV, UNR, SJSU, Fresno State, SDSU

Would keep the conference regionally sound and create some new rivalries.

6 hours ago, Headbutt said:

AFA was (as @Ibanez put it) an enquirer type piece that was based on Calhoun's complaints about the MWC.  His primary complaint was travel.  I don't see how the AAC mitigates that.

If they did leave I’d be in favor of the MW programs committing to not schedule them in any sport for the next 10-20 years.

4 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I could be wrong, but I believe that it's been pointed out here by (real) AFA fans that the government does not fund the FB program.  I'm sure there's some crossover like meals etc., but travel costs and other expenses are funded by a private QB club type entity.  The Air Force has plenty of planes, but it doesn't sound like that's really the answer.

I'd really love to see a breakdown of where the budget comes from, and details regarding how it's spent.

I agree that it's probably a lot harder for them to adhere to a cadet routine on the road than it is for our student athletes to adhere to theirs.  Academics?  Maybe a little but every school has a few engineering and grad students on the roster.  That has to be hard on every student athlete.  Sure it's Astrophysics and Aeronautics but the time commitment would probably be the same as what it took me to learn Calculus.  They are supposedly smarter.

Yeah plus you regularly see AF teams flying out of DIA.  That is if you can spot them in the sea of Green and Gold Ram fans jamming up the place.   

54 minutes ago, RamSack said:

If they did leave I’d be in favor of the MW programs committing to not schedule them in any sport for the next 10-20 years.

That will never happen. UNR, Fresno and the Utags would schedule them in a hot second.

5 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

If AF leaves as well then the Mountain West should look at adding Montana and Montana State or North Dakota State and South Dakota State, could have the following divisions:

MOUNTAIN: Montana/NDSU, Montana State/SDSU, WYO, CSU, USU, UNM

WEST: Hawaii, UNLV, UNR, SJSU, Fresno State, SDSU

Would keep the conference regionally sound and create some new rivalries.

Regardless if Boise State or Air Force leave, the Mountain West should be considering the two Montana schools. The Dakotas not so much. 

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Regardless if Boise State or Air Force leave, the Mountain West should be considering the two Montana schools. The Dakotas not so much. 

I’d rather go with UTEP and UTSA or UNT.

25 minutes ago, RamSack said:

I’d rather go with UTEP and UTSA or UNT.

The Montana schools have loyal fanbases. UNT and UTSA do not. UTEP does have a decent basketball following however.

16 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Horseshoe Lake in AR. Little 900 sqft A-frame on the lake. (family use cabin)

ISd4ckb68f9uwg0000000000.jpg

I saw the Tulsa loss but I missed our L to SMU yesterday. I'll be curious to see how Penny/the team responds.

I had no idea the architects responsible for Albertsons Stadium had branched out into lakeside homes. 

14 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Has the Montana schools showed any interest in moving up? Because I am pretty sure Montana had passed on the opportunity before.

Bozeman has 46k population,  Missoula has 74k.  The entire state of Montana has 1M.  

18 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I had no idea the architects responsible for Albertsons Stadium had branched out into lakeside homes. 

Bet the outhouse is spectacular.....

52 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Has the Montana schools showed any interest in moving up? Because I am pretty sure Montana had passed on the opportunity before.

Pretty sure they passed up the diminished WAC, I don't think the MWC has ever offered them. 

Not that I think they want to move up, just don't think the WAC in that state is a fair comparison to the MWC. 

17 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Horseshoe Lake in AR. Little 900 sqft A-frame on the lake. (family use cabin)

ISd4ckb68f9uwg0000000000.jpg

I saw the Tulsa loss but I missed our L to SMU yesterday. I'll be curious to see how Penny/the team responds.

Nice antenna.

Does anyone else hear banjo music?

16 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Nice antenna.

Does anyone else hear banjo music?

It's a classic