Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Boeing’s 777x takes flight

After the nightmare that has been the 737 Max, this has to be a relief for Boeing.  The 777 is one of my favorite planes and the 777x will be the largest twin engine aircraft in the world 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I wish that was an option when I went to Australia. It was a very long 17 hour flight with no real leg room. I look forward to taking a comfortable 777X flight to South Africa someday. B)

Despite transatlantic flights almost every year, I have yet to fly on a 777 while paying attention to what plane I'm on. A few years ago, I booked a specific flight in part because the airline listed a Triple-7, but they changed it to a 787. No complaints - the difference in cabin pressurization on the Dreamliner makes a real difference, but I miss the 777 on my list and really want to try it. 

That said, no commercial airplane in the sky is prettier than the 757 in my opinion. I'll miss it when it finally gets retired. I also love the A340 - another one we won't see for much longer. While the 757 takes of like a rocket ship, the A340 just rolls and rolls until eventually it just happens to be airborne. 

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Despite transatlantic flights almost every year, I have yet to fly on a 777 while paying attention to what plane I'm on. A few years ago, I booked a specific flight in part because the airline listed a Triple-7, but they changed it to a 787. No complaints - the difference in cabin pressurization on the Dreamliner makes a real difference, but I miss the 777 on my list and really want to try it. 

That said, no commercial airplane in the sky is prettier than the 757 in my opinion. I'll miss it when it finally gets retired. I also love the A340 - another one we won't see for much longer. 

I've only flown domestic, so the 767 is the largest plane I've flown on. I really want to fly to a 787 though.

28 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I've only flown domestic, so the 767 is the largest plane I've flown on. I really want to fly to a 787 though.

The only modern Boeing plane I haven’t been on is the 747-8 and 787.  Took a 747-400 from San Francisco to Washington DC once. Several 757s, a 777 from Denver to San Francisco (I intentionally booked that one), 767 a few times also.   Obviously been on multiple 737s, even took a 727 once.  Although I will say the coolest plane I was ever on was the BAE-146.  Well maybe not the coolest but I got a kick out of the high wing, 4 engine design.  Flew it from Denver to Wichita.  Plane was nearly empty. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm also a fan of the Dash-8 aka Bombardier something something 400Q. I might be the only person in the world who likes being on them, but there's just something that's really cool about turboprops. Plus, the high wing design makes for a great view. 

I hope there won’t be any emails leaked from Boeing employees with comments like “Would you want your family to fly in one of those?” 

Unbelievable how that company’s QA was allowed to slip on the Max. Unbelievable that Muilenberg was able to survive as long as he did.

I went from being a huge fan of Boeing to someone who won’t forgive that entity for a long, long time. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

16 hours ago, mugtang said:

The only modern Boeing plane I haven’t been on is the 747-8 and 787.  Took a 747-400 from San Francisco to Washington DC once. Several 757s, a 777 from Denver to San Francisco (I intentionally booked that one), 767 a few times also.   Obviously been on multiple 737s, even took a 727 once.  Although I will say the coolest plane I was ever on was the BAE-146.  Well maybe not the coolest but I got a kick out of the high wing, 4 engine design.  Flew it from Denver to Wichita.  Plane was nearly empty. 

Those old BAe-146s were great. I flew that a few times between Billings and Denver on United Express. Favorite plane has to be the EMB-120s that flew everywhere around CA for United Express way back when. Least favorite is probably the CRJ-200 because the windows are too low. 

I've been on the 747-8 once, from Frankfurt to LA on Lufthansa. I was on the 787 once as well, though that was like a 30 min flight between Doha and Dubai. 

Only Airbus or Boeing I haven't been on is the 707 for Boeing and the A310 for Airbus. 

16 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I'm also a fan of the Dash-8 aka Bombardier something something 400Q. I might be the only person in the world who likes being on them, but there's just something that's really cool about turboprops. Plus, the high wing design makes for a great view. 

Those are great. Horizon flies them all over the Northwest it seems. They're quiet, pretty fast for a prop too. And definitely an upgrade over the Dash-8-300. 

Quality slips when your priority is to shareholders.

When you let business concerns, no sim training, trump doing it right. When you move the c suite to a different state than your engineers.

The rot goes deep, and some believe it happened with the MD merger. This issue isn't just Boeing though, it's all corporate America. 

One of the Final Five..........

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Personally, I want to fly in a DC3

Oh man, I'd love that! We have a shiny silver one at the Evergreen Air & Space Museum here in Oregon. One of the most aesthetically pleasing airplanes ever made. And it's amazing that so many of these planes are still in active service 

On 1/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, mugtang said:

After the nightmare that has been the 737 Max, this has to be a relief for Boeing.  The 777 is one of my favorite planes and the 777x will be the largest twin engine aircraft in the world 

I've never really paid attention to the types of planes I've flown on. My fiancee and I will be traveling to Hawaii in May for our honeymoon so I went back and looked at the email for Alaska Airlines and we will be flying on a Boeing 737-800 and flying back on the 737-900. Those planes aren't the same as the 737-Max right? :unsure:

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

8 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I've never really paid attention to the types of planes I've flown on. My fiancee and I will be traveling to Hawaii in May for our honeymoon so I went back and looked at the email for Alaska Airlines and we will be flying on a Boeing 737-800 and flying back on the 737-900. Those planes aren't the same as the 737-Max right? :unsure:

No those are not the same plane.  I mean they’re based on the same design but the Max has quite a few differences.