Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego State at UNLV

13 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I sort of dont get the logic of making any team a top 5 who has not beat a top 10 or even top 15 opponent and plays in a conference as bad as the mountain worst. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't get a lot of things.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

9 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I sort of dont get the logic of making any team a top 5 who has not beat a top 10 or even top 15 opponent and plays in a conference as bad as the mountain worst. 

Take it up with the experts.  I find it interesting that you place emphasis on the rankings, using ranking as an indicator of quality yet you DE-value SDSU.   So, those that rank are correct in their judgement of all the other teams they determine to be worthy and wrong about SDSU.   I think you have an internal contradiction but like I said, maybe you're right and everyone else is wrong.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

We already knew you liked being on the end of limbs TheSandyGayman.... :hahaha:

You sure seem to wish I was gay. 

tenor.gif

BTW, you know what else is on the end of limbs? The hands we've been bitchslapping you with over the last decade. :whistle:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Take it up with the experts.  I find it interesting that you place emphasis on the rankings, using ranking as an indicator of quality yet you DE-value SDSU.   So, those that rank are correct in their judgement of all the other teams they determine to be worthy and wrong about SDSU.   I think you have an internal contradiction but like I said, maybe you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Im really not using rankings at all. At no point in time did I say that suds is not the 4th ranked team in the nation, because they are! 
I said suds is not the 4th best team in the nation. That is irrespective of rankings and based on the talent and ability of the best teams

I have seen play this year. Give me Duke or Michigan State over suds all day. I think suds has a good team, but not that good. 

People, especially the press, are falling victim to the gaudy record. But they always do that, so no surprise there.

But its pretty clear to me that suds has built its record on CUPCAKE CITY!

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Same thing delusional reno fans said last year when I said the same thing. If suds finishes the season top 5, Flynn is gone.

Maybe if suds flames out 1st or 2nd like I think, 50/50 chance he comes back.

But if you guys go on a huge run  sweet 16 / elite 8 run hes out. His stock will never be higher. 

But as far as a drop off I have no clue. If Dutch builds on this year with recruiting, things could be good. You guys have more

of a shot to continue to be good than reno did, but I still dont think suds is 4th best team in the country.

2019 University of Nevada team and 2020 Aztec team.

NCAA team rank and NBA draftee selection.

I’m seeing a pattern here.

My Goodness how many 21-0 teams are there in the country? That’s right one who beat the living tar out of Creighton and Utah on neutral courts, and also beat Iowa along with BYU and Utah State and UNLV just barely on the road. Who else is No 2 in Net Rankings currently (probably back to No 1 tomorrow) and is No 4 in the nation? Yes it’s San Diego State. Stop trying to downplay a great team, that hopefully represents the conference well in the tourney, with a cupcake schedule argument cause UNLV’s isn’t very overwhelming either.

1 minute ago, LiberalAggie said:

My Goodness how many 21-0 teams are there in the country? That’s right one who beat the living tar out of Creighton and Utah on neutral courts, and also beat Iowa along with BYU and Utah State and UNLV just barely on the road. Who else is No 2 in Net Rankings currently (probably back to No 1 tomorrow) and is No 4 in the nation? Yes it’s San Diego State. Stop trying to downplay a great team that hopefully represents the conference well in the tourney with a cupcake schedule argument cause UNLV’s isn’t very overwhelming either.

Im not downplaying anything. Either the schedule is cupcake city or it isnt. You didnt say I was inaccurate, so I will take that as you agree. 

I think they are a good team, but not the 4th best team in the country. Im not saying anything wrong or disrespectful. I measured both teams 

after watching todays game. I came away mostly underwhelmed with suds.

Sorry, not sorry. 

13 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Im really not using rankings at all. At no point in time did I say that suds is not the 4th ranked team in the nation, because they are! 
I said suds is not the 4th best team in the nation. That is irrespective of rankings and based on the talent and ability of the best teams

I have seen play this year. Give me Duke or Michigan State over suds all day. I think suds has a good team, but not that good. 

People, especially the press, are falling victim to the gaudy record. But they always do that, so no surprise there.

But its pretty clear to me that suds has built its record on CUPCAKE CITY!

For better or worse, in college basketball rankings are a proxy for "best".  If you're not using rankings, how do you determine who's "best"? 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

21 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Clownfish.jpg

Don't pay queefish much mind.

He is so infatuated with Mediocre Marvin Menzies, who was essentially a barely audible but irritatingly stinky fart in the UNLV history books, that he was repeatedly bashing TJ and calling him a failure 3-4 games into his UNLV career! It looked dumb at the time and, well, hasn't looked any smarter recently. 

Knowing how moronic that made him look (which is huge because nary a post is made without him reminding, um, himself what a genius he is), he has taken to hitting TJ with all kinds of backhanded "complements" of late... he called the MWC "way weaker than it was last year", though by every statistical metric it's considerably better. Now SDSU is "way over-rated" because UNLV played them really tough. He only comes out as dumber and dumber with each post, but keeps doubling up on stupid.

Keep in mind this dum-dum actually said earlier this year the Rebels should've just stuck with Marv or even Dave Rice rather than hire TJ, who has done nothing short of an extraordinary job this year turning around the rancid culture those two duds created. Meanwhile, his boy Marv is doing wonders with an 8-12 WAC team.

Maybe... hopefully... he'll think twice next time before acting like the all-knowing basketball wizard he thinks he is. On second thought, nah. That's just who he is, the worst kind of idiot... an arrogant, condescending one.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

30 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I think they are a good team, but not the 4th best team in the country. Im not saying anything wrong or disrespectful. I measured both teams 

The only ranking that matters all season long is the committees ranking.  If they are a 1 seed then they are viewed as a top 4 team.  Regardless.  

Hoping they get that respect.   

2 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Don't pay queefish much mind.

He is so infatuated with Mediocre Marvin Menzies, who was essentially a barely audible but irritatingly stinky fart in the UNLV history books, that he was repeatedly bashing TJ and calling him a failure 3-4 games into his UNLV career! It looked dumb at the time

MM is with out question the worst coach in Unlv history.  Wins and losses don’t lie. I figured Unlv fans would start to gather on the TJ Train by now.  Kids haven’t quit on him yet.  That alone is improvement. 

Let's just talk basketball.

The game went about how I thought it would go.  Vegas fought hard and made it really difficult for us, causing me to drink much beer.  Not having Arop and Mensah is going to be a problem whenever we face a team that has an athletic wing like Bryce Hamilton.  He killed us today.  I'm optimistic about Arop, but not Mensah.  We missed a lot of 3-pointers today, and when that happens, it gets a little dicey.  Regardless of the score and if some Vegas fans are impressed with us or not, I'm glad we got that W today.

I have seen three Top 20 teams play CSU in person at courtside. Duke, San Diego State, and Colorado.  My judgment is a bit shrouded by how CSU was at the point where they played them but here goes.

Duke is the best team Ive seen this year. They were unbelievably beefy and athletic.  They could run, they could jump, they could guard but they really didnt shoot it very well. They dont have a JJ Redick on the roster.  CSU played them in early November when the young players hadn’t quite jelled but Duke’s young players were ina similar spot.  Vernon Carey Jr. especially. Good enough to win a National CHampionship, but flawed enough to crap out earlier.

San Diego State (with Joel Mensah) was second best to me. I was really impressed with the sneaky good athleticism and toughness of the Aztecs. They are not the most physically-imposing looking team but they sure are tough enough to fight over screens and own the paint defensively. Offensively, they can hit you at all levels.  Bigs with post scoring, guards who can get to the rim, and a load of good perimeter shooters.  Elite 8, dark horse Final Four with Mensah. An elite PG and their balance makes them a tough out.

Colorado is a great defensive team with limited offensive firepower. They are San Diego State Light. Not quite as good in the post, not quite the backcourt depth, not quite as many three-point shooters. They have to sacrifice some defense to get more shooters on the floor.  Sweet Sixteen is their ceiling. I can also see them losing in the first round.

I love how the Aztecs play but I dont think they are a serious contender without Nathan Mensah; his presence creates more room offensively and gives them elite rim protection defensively.  I think they can make it to the second weekend but it would take some extraordinary offense to go beyond.  The emergence of Pulliam is a really good sign but I dont think that adds enough to overcome the absence of Mensah.

7 hours ago, slappy said:

The only ranking that matters all season long is the committees ranking.  If they are a 1 seed then they are viewed as a top 4 team.  Regardless.  

Hoping they get that respect.   

The only rankings that matter are the rankings earned on the game floor vs the best teams in the ncaa tournament. 

7 hours ago, slappy said:

MM is with out question the worst coach in Unlv history.  Wins and losses don’t lie. I figured Unlv fans would start to gather on the TJ Train by now.  Kids haven’t quit on him yet.  That alone is improvement. 

I question that. You obviously missed the Rollie / Spoon years. Statistically John Bayer also had fewer wins over 3 years and no coach had a larger one year decline in wins than Rollie. Only Kruger had a larger one year jump in win total than MM.