Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ToTheMountains

Who should be the top candidate to replace Boise State in the MWC?

Who should be the top candidate to replace Boise State in the MWC?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the top candidate to replace Boise State in the MWC?

• MONTANA. (give the people what they want, a MONTANA vs WYO rivalry)
    • UTEP (they have a history in the MWC)
    • IDAHO (MWC needs to stay in the State of Idaho)
    • NMSU (conferences are always better when they have in-state rivalries)
    • NORTH TEXAS (that pond.....yowzers!)
    • RICE (they deliver the Houston market)
    • TEXAS STATE (supposedly the best party school in Texas)
    • OTHER (state below)

If Boise leaves how much will Fox and CBSSN reduce the $ amount of the new TV contract?  Will it only be by the amount that Boise would get or will it be a greater amount. Remember the Boise games were generally the highest viewership games and therefore were not of the same value as games featuring any of the other schools except perhaps SDSU. I can see the two TV networks reducing the $ amount of the contract by the amount Boise would get plus a further reduction of at least 15 to 20 percent of the total contract.

Therefore we will need to add one or more schools to boost the contract back to what it was. Or perhaps we should simply not worry about the dollars, but then what was the point of the entire Boise/MWC dispute?

9 hours ago, thatsmymammy said:

I know I said UNT but ultimately I think UNT, UTEP and NMSU.... 14 teams max and bring Hawaii for all sports. This would be a good conference.  Outside of UNT, A lot of regional rivalries. 

Oh god that would be a horrible expansion scenario in my opinion.

I’ve been preaching contract for years, and for the record I think we sort this out and don’t go anywhere, but in the unlikely event that we bolt I think the MWC should try to incentivize Hawai’i to go Indy with late season scheduling agreements in place to help them out.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 hours ago, 1066 said:

If Boise leaves how much will Fox and CBSSN reduce the $ amount of the new TV contract?  Will it only be by the amount that Boise would get or will it be a greater amount. Remember the Boise games were generally the highest viewership games and therefore were not of the same value as games featuring any of the other schools except perhaps SDSU. I can see the two TV networks reducing the $ amount of the contract by the amount Boise would get plus a further reduction of at least 15 to 20 percent of the total contract.

Therefore we will need to add one or more schools to boost the contract back to what it was. Or perhaps we should simply not worry about the dollars, but then what was the point of the entire Boise/MWC dispute?

Hold the presses! I have figured out what’s going on!

So, this is whats going on... BYU is whispering things in BSU’s ear, about how they are getting screwed, and how awesome independence is! BSU gets so mad, that they LEAVE the MW!

BUT... at the same time, BYU has been whispering in Hair’s ear, about how they could help the conference secure the new tv contract, but probably get even more money, if a certain school in Utah was publicly “ASKED” to come back. And since the new tv contract would get more money with this certain school in the conference, they'll readily forego their own contract with espn (after the current contract expires, cause they listened to Schiff, and doing what’s right is right)... problem solved.

BYU to the rescue, as they slide into the slot BSU vacated... life and new tv contract marches on! But with the only stipulation BYU proposes... that no one in the MW schedules BSU... just too awkward for all parties concerned!

Eh, em I right!?!?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

31 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

There won't be any need to try. Hawaii will probably bolt if the AAC takes in Boise State. I have a feeling Boise won't be moving by themselves.

It’s a possibility as 11 for football is unworkable particularly with AF.   They can’t have 10 conference games.   I vote UNT or UTSA but contracting to 10 or 9 is fine too.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:27 AM, SLCPoke said:

That’d be funny actually. 

I said it before and was laughed at...but I have read multiple times here all BYU wanted was tier 3/rebroadcast rights. And now they enjoy the "spreading the word" coast to coast type schedule. So get creative. Give them the Tier 3. Agree to a trial period (clearly stated it is not in perpetuity) for the conference to only have mandatory games against their own division. You can schedule the other division, but those games don't count in standings. A) that gives BYU freedom to schedule tons of non conference and,B) it eliminates the unfairness of cross division schedules where one team has to go to Fresno and SDSU while another gets to play SJSU and UNLV. 

Have them bring Gonzaga with them for Oly sports. 

For kicks...wait until BSU signs on the dotted line to park their Olys in the WCC for one final FU. Now that would be funny....

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

There won't be any need to try. Hawaii will probably bolt if the AAC takes in Boise State. I have a feeling Boise won't be moving by themselves.

The AAC wouldn't accept full members that far west so if Boise goes to the AAC, I believe they go alone as football only.  No one else wants to try and split up their sports is my guess either.  

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Hawaii wouldn’t be joining or even be considered to join the AAC if that’s what you are thinking. The school would be half an ocean and half a continent away from the nearest non-Boise member.

Our AD likes to take the safe path and play schools it has history with (Fresno, Nevada, AFA, UNLV, etc). If all those schools leave and the MW backfield with Texas schools, the school would probably contemplate Indy status again. It’s the reason the school wanted to bolt the WAC, the shift to mid-continent with the Texas St and UTSA adds(with more like Lamar, Jacksonville St, etc. being rumored) and loss of rivalries.