Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Questions for travel to Wyoming

We are planning a summer trip and meeting family.  I will be driving up from the southwest.  I am a mountain biker, but staying with plenty of young kids and adults that like to fish,  i was thinking Laramie.  That's within a days drive for all of us.  Coming up through Colorado, is Laramie a decent place to hang out, maybe get a cabin?  Or would you guys recommend another town up that way?  Fishing, biking, hiking, and preferably some decent restaurants and other activities for the kiddos would help.  Thoughts from the locals would be appreciated.  Nothing is set in stone yet.  I offered up Denver as well.  Never been to Wyoming though, so thought it would be fun to see something new.

There are better experts on all things Wyoming outdoors here, but Laramie has all that. If you go up into the Snowies or Veedawoo you got Mtn Biking and hiking. And Laramie is a nice town with some pretty great Restaurants and the summers are beautiful. If you are looking for the south east portion of the state, you may want to look for something in Saratoga. Its very small even compared to Laramie but has a couple nice restaurants and is closer to mtn and stream activities. Plus you got the hot springs.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

We are planning a summer trip and meeting family.  I will be driving up from the southwest.  I am a mountain biker, but staying with plenty of young kids and adults that like to fish,  i was thinking Laramie.  That's within a days drive for all of us.  Coming up through Colorado, is Laramie a decent place to hang out, maybe get a cabin?  Or would you guys recommend another town up that way?  Fishing, biking, hiking, and preferably some decent restaurants and other activities for the kiddos would help.  Thoughts from the locals would be appreciated.  Nothing is set in stone yet.  I offered up Denver as well.  Never been to Wyoming though, so thought it would be fun to see something new.

Laramie is definitely the hub of outdoor recreation for southeast Wyoming and is more fun to stay in than Cheyenne, especially in the summer. As ts said, Saratoga is a nice resort style town with hot springs near by, the snowies are by Laramie and Medicine Bow Peak is a fun hike with Vedauwoo there too if you want an afternoon of easy hiking/bouldering without wearing yourself out. Laramie is also a good place to stay because the next nearest travel level recreation areas in Wyoming are a ways away, to exceed the opportunities near Laramie you'd have to hit up Buffalo to the north or the Lander area to the northwest. I'm not a great resource for fishing though about all I can remember is "hit up miracle mile on the north platte". @Jackrabbit is a good resource for that. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Nice. Laramie is a great place to be in the summer! Excellent, excellent mountain biking at Curt Gowdy State Park and at Tie City and also at Vedawoo. There are hundreds of miles of trail in the Snowys too. 

There are quite a few lakes around Laramie that have fish. Big tout in the Plains lakes and there are a lot of high mountain lakes with fish, too, in the Snowys. There are many, many steams in the Snowys that have fish and the Laramie River can be great at certain times of the year. 

I would suggest at least a day trip to Saratoga, as others have mentioned. Hot springs is neat and there are actually a couple good restaurants there, plus the drive over the mountain is grade A scenery. 

Hiking at Vedawoo is a must if you come to Laramie. Imo it is the highest quality bouldering you can find anywhere. It's so unique and awesome. 

If you like fishing a lot, I would suggest doing a day float on the upper North Platte River. It goes through a beautiful canyon as it comes out of the mountains. Pretty costly, though - I don't know what your budget is.

I'm not giving any more info than that! You have to explore for yourself.  

I’ve been to and through Laramie quite  a number of times, but never had the chance to explore the area. All I’ve seen is the high prairie and wind. It looks like I missed a lot. 

The company I was working for asked if I was interested in transferring to the Laramie office from Boise when they needed help, but the winters are too brutal for me. 

Wyoming is an interesting and wide open state. I’ve worked on projects in Rawlins and Gillette and neither were appealing. I’ve also worked in Cody which is beautiful. Great people to work with. Definitely a lot different than working in the SF Bay Area where I started. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

something something jackson

Shut your whore mouth. There are no "pretty decent" restaurants in Jackson. The bar starts at "simply divine" and goes up - WAY up - from there.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
On 1/22/2020 at 12:36 PM, alum93 said:

As a social experiment, buy a BYU shirt beforehand, and then wear it around Laramie on your visit.

Then, please share your findings.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, Bob said:

Laramie is a kind, tolerant place full of hippies anymore. North Face, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, deadlocks, all that shit. Laramie's gone pretty soft, actually.  

Really?

Sad to hear this...

This Yuppie'ization of Laramie probably explains the struggles of Cowboys Athletics. 

Wyoming fans used to be feared (with good reason).  Now you say they are behaving like Boulder, Colorado fans?