Jump to content
CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

Recommended Posts

Just now, BSUFan said:

But, would that bring more revenue to the conference? I'm not trying to be a jackass but do you believe Fox Sports or ESPN (neither of which were in the picture for the MWC before Boise returned) want to pay extra money for the privilege of televising UNM or SJSU? There is a real world value to Boise State's home games as both ESPN and Fox Sports have demonstrated.  Both the conference and Boise have benefited from the arrangement that was initially negotiated.

I’m not disputing that BSU doesn’t bring extra value to the conference.  That’s why I support the continued payment of $1.8 million a year to Boise State.  What I don’t support is Boise getting an even larger bonus payment at the expense of other members.  Reading points 29 & 30 of the complaint it sounds like BSU was given all of the information and agreed in principal to the agreement but wanted additional revenue.  But the membership didn’t agree to that and here we are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

Perhaps it would be better for you to go independent.  You could probably get a much better deal being exclusive to ESPN.  They would also help you get marquee match ups.  

Perhaps...

King Kustra is behind all of this, if BSU stays in the MWC - be sure you all are going to get fcked more raw than the re-entry agreement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobbyBoSox said:

Oh no, I completely agree this TRASHES what little cordiality there is.
I believe this is a nuclear bomb.
I hope she is scalp hunting. Just 1 particular scalp. With lots of Hair!

We have been the whipping boys of the conference. That breeds ill-will.
So if she has a chance to retribute, she should take it.
Maybe a good pissing match is what is needed for all the presidents to realize how much we need each other?

I just wish she would've waited 'til after BB season.
We ain't getting a +++++ing call the rest of the season!

Thompson doesn't decide anything..The presidents do.  Your president is looking to sue  fellow academics.  You think getting Thompson fired fixes that?  Thompson is irrelevant to this.  Boise isn't going to accept less than what they want just because Thompson gets the axe.  You guys are going for the presidents.  I think you will win and win big..But, at what cost..?

Like you said you don't consider Boise to be part of the MW,  This looks like the first step to a lot of shuffling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

From Hair’s move it’s obvious they weren’t offering the conference as much money, but BSU is negotiated separate - isn’t that the root of BSU’s complaints?

And, GFY...

Boise's games are negotiated different but there wasn't anything saying that they would get any more of the money besides the $1.8 million correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BobbyBoSox said:

We have been the whipping boys of the conference

Yes, Boise is so oppressed. Is there no humanity, no justice left in this cruel world?

Good grief, Charlie Brown. Get over yourself.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BobbyBoSox said:

Yes, if we have determined that our home media rights are worth more than what this contract agrees to pay.
The damages are the difference.

BSU is simply saying that we don't think this is the best deal out there, especially for us.
And our contract gives us the right to enforce that.

But if your home rights are worth more than what was agreed to, doesn't it make sense that the conference would've agreed to that?  I mean that would mean more money for everybody.  The money from your home TV rights goes to the conference.  You guys get $1.8 million for a bonus and the rest is divided equally.  So I highly doubt BSU has injured financially.

  • Like 1
  • Idiot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Perhaps...

King Kustra is behind all of this, if BSU stays in the MWC - be sure you all are going to get fcked more raw than the re-entry agreement. 

It does appear that Boise wants to burn it down.  They have been pissed off at the MW since the WAC days.  If and when Boise bolts MW football will suffer and the tv deal won't be as good.  For all the other sports losing Boise is ...meh...No difference..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BobbyBoSox said:

Yes, if we have determined that our home media rights are worth more than what this contract agrees to pay.
The damages are the difference.

BSU is simply saying that we don't think this is the best deal out there, especially for us.
And our contract gives us the right to enforce that.

I don't see the damages either. The conference splits that pot. So if you were to negotiate a higher deal with ESPN...then that difference is split by all the conference members. Subtract whatever the CBS/Fox contract is reduced by for all members...and it is probably close to a wash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’m not disputing that BSU doesn’t bring extra value to the conference.  That’s why I support the continued payment of $1.8 million a year to Boise State.  What I don’t support is Boise getting an even larger bonus payment at the expense of other members.  Reading points 29 & 30 of the complaint it sounds like BSU was given all of the information and agreed in principal to the agreement but wanted additional revenue.  But the membership didn’t agree to that and here we are. 

The earlier points indicate Craig Thompson and Dean Jordan were deceptive and they presented just eight options to the board to eliminate the Boise State bonus all together. None of the presented proposals had anything to do with the discussions Thompson had with President Tromp and Curt Apsey.  That is why I believe this whole thing was mishandled completely by Thompson.  Thompson did the same thing with BYU and the 3rd tier rights they wanted to keep to broadcast on BYUtv.  The man has a history of sleazy dealings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

It’s a good time to just part ways.

I agree.  Not just for hairs comments, presidents voting to violate contracts, Boise asking for more etc.   I think BSU would be better served in the AAC.  They will still have their rights to sell ESPN, the mwc can get a contact without Boise and BSU can play teams investing more in football with a commissioner who actually advocates for his teams and league. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BSUFan said:

The earlier points indicate Craig Thompson and Dean Jordan were deceptive and they presented just eight options to the board to eliminate the Boise State bonus all together. None of the presented proposals had anything to do with the discussions Thompson had with President Tromp and Curt Apsey.  That is why I believe this whole thing was mishandled by completely by Thompson.  Thompson did the same thing with BYU and the 3rd tier rights they wanted to keep to broadcast on BYUtv.  The man has a history of sleazy dealings.

There is a negotiating committee and Thompson has no power to do anything they don't authorize.  You want this to be about Thompson so you don't have to admit you are looking to sue other schools.. This is president level stuff.  Thompson could be fired tonight and it changes nothing.  Your president will still seek all the same things you are demanding now..

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

I don't see the damages either. The conference splits that pot. So if you were to negotiate a higher deal with ESPN...then that difference is split by all the conference members. Subtract whatever the CBS/Fox contract is reduced by for all members...and it is probably close to a wash.  

I got out of it BSU wanted espn.   Hair made promises of extra $ to BSU by going with Fox and CBS.   Hair and the other presidents then voted to end the additional payments in the future.   Negotiations were materially misrepresented 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

The earlier points indicate Craig Thompson and Dean Jordan were deceptive and they presented just eight options to the board to eliminate the Boise State bonus all together. None of the presented proposals had anything to do with the discussions Thompson had with President Tromp and Curt Apsey.  That is why I believe this whole thing was mishandled by completely by Thompson.  Thompson did the same thing with BYU and the 3rd tier rights they wanted to keep to broadcast on BYUtv.  The man has a history of sleazy dealings.

You may be right.  We will see how this all shakes out.  I will be seriously disappointed if this ends up with BSU getting additional money beyond the $1.8 million that was agreed to.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I got out of it BSU wanted espn.   Hair made promises of extra $ to BSU by going with Fox and CBS.   Hair and the other presidents then voted to end the additional payments in the future.   Negotiations were materially misrepresented 

Boise would get more money by agreeing to Fox instead of ESPN just like everyone else in the conference since ESPN wasn't offering as much, supposedly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I got out of it BSU wanted espn.   Hair made promises of extra $ to BSU by going with Fox and CBS.   Hair and the other presidents then voted to end the additional payments in the future.   Negotiations were materially misrepresented 

This is kind of what I think too. BSU really likes being on ESPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could have all been avoided if Bose had been allowed to be involved in the negotiations, and if they had been at the table when the MWC voted on it.

 

Oh, wait....they were.

 

Seriously?  What a bunch of horseshit.  Boise approved the contract and is now crying about it?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Boise's games are negotiated different but there wasn't anything saying that they would get any more of the money besides the $1.8 million correct?

As per the re-entry agreement, but who is to say that BSU could’ve received more for their home games with ESPN but that network wasn’t offering the most for the rest of the conference.  
 

BSU is not a part of the MWC when it comes to TV rights, they have to agree with the contract.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I got out of it BSU wanted espn.   Hair made promises of extra $ to BSU by going with Fox and CBS.   Hair and the other presidents then voted to end the additional payments in the future.   Negotiations were materially misrepresented 

No doubt that Boise wants ESPN..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I agree.  Not just for hairs comments, presidents voting to violate contracts, Boise asking for more etc.   I think BSU would be better served in the AAC.  They will still have their rights to sell ESPN, the mwc can get a contact without Boise and BSU can play teams investing more in football with a commissioner who actually advocates for his teams and league. 

They should come to an amicable agreement that has Boise play one more season in the MWC while giving them time to negotiate with other conferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×