Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Stephanie?

She has done some legit investigative work in her career and has a ton of PNW connections.

I could see how she would have some inside info.

To be honest and if in another world I was hired to give feedback to the MWC - a split may be a good thing for all of the parties involved at this time.  As many others have acknowledged even going back to the original deal, an unequal model which guarantees any school more of the pie (regardless of outcome) is unsustainable and could only create hostilities and resentment among 'partners.'  The problem that Boise has in valuing itself - - that certainly TV partners take into account - - past performance does not guarantee future success.  The GM that gives a 35 year old baseball player a $250 million dollar contract, because said baseball player has hit 30+ HR and drove in 100 RBIs for the prior 10 seasons, is unlikely to be around very long in the GM role.

The good for the MWC is that this whole situation could cause the league to re-write its bylaws to ensure that there will be no future revenue sharing models which guarantee a single institution more of the pie.  I see this as likely creating more long term sustainability and predictability for the conference (which benefits all parties).  I suspect that Boise will do its best (perhaps on its way out) not to permanently burn any bridges with the MWC member institutions because it must know that there will come a time that it will be to Boise's benefit to deal with such institutions.  Thus, I see it highly unlikely that there isn't some settlement reached before resorting to the court to ultimately rule upon the legal issues.

From Boise's side - I see it.  Boise has brought value to the conference based on the way it has been able to market its program with its on-field success over the past decade or so.  It thinks it should be able to be rewarded for that value.  It is looking for its own bottom line which is how the business world often works.  Whether this vision will ultimately be good for Boise long term, no one knows.  However, what I know is that the MWC needs to proceed with a model that more accurately reflects a true partnership.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Same person who told me the other details before they became public. You can check my post history. I had a Poke fan call me a liar about the media deal and then it was leaked on Twitter a week later. I had AAC fans (Wooshy) tell me I was wrong about tier 3 rights and the amount of the contract I was saying  $4 million for seven years.  Then I was told Boise State wasn't gonna be on ESPN if the other teams were on another network. Look where we are now?

I'm not telling anyone his name. I Will say this. There was someone who covered SDSU sports. She eventually went on to cover Washington State. Since then she has moved on to Seattle I think. Aztec fans will know who she is. The person I talk to is linked to her. 

I don't want Boise State out of the MWC. But the longer there is no news the more likely this is what happens. 

I posted a link earlier in the thread courtesy of the NBC affiliate in Boise.  While I know this isn't your source, a sports broadcaster does mention the Big West as a potential landing spot for Boise if they leave the MWC.

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-sues-mountain-west-conference-over-tv-contract-school-bonuses/277-5e044358-8b75-4ac1-9243-5f9bf44c7be4

"You wonder if the games against UCF down the line are going to become conference games [in the AAC Conference]," sports analyst Tom Scott speculated. "In that case, it would be football-only. This is speculation, but Boise State's other sports would probably have to go to the Big West. I don't think there's any other option for them other than the Big West."

Tom Scott has worked in Boise for 40 years and has been a sportscaster there for what, 30?  Lends some credibility to the idea.

It's still an "if" thing because Boise remains a member of the MWC until one side announces otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

She's a rappeller on a Forest Service helitack crew....  do you know how much she has to pack out to get to a spot to be picked up either by helicopter or vehicle.  We ain't talking nice well groomed hiking trails either.  Plus, when she's in the helicopter, she's working with the helicopter pilot, who is a certified trainer to get her license.  But she's also smart and toboggans in the beer and Makers and maybe a little food.... 

Wait, she's got access to a helicopter? "Skin in"? Phuck that!

9 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

To be honest and if in another world I was hired to give feedback to the MWC - a split may be a good thing for all of the parties involved at this time.  As many others have acknowledged even going back to the original deal, an unequal model which guarantees any school more of the pie (regardless of outcome) is unsustainable and could only create hostilities and resentment among 'partners.'  The problem that Boise has in valuing itself - - that certainly TV partners take into account - - past performance does not guarantee future success.  The GM that gives a 35 year old baseball player a $250 million dollar contract, because said baseball player has hit 30+ HR and drove in 100 RBIs for the prior 10 seasons, is unlikely to be around very long in the GM role.

The good for the MWC is that this whole situation could cause the league to re-write its bylaws to ensure that there will be no future revenue sharing models which guarantee a single institution more of the pie.  I see this as likely creating more long term sustainability and predictability for the conference (which benefits all parties).  I suspect that Boise will do its best (perhaps on its way out) not to permanently burn any bridges with the MWC member institutions because it must know that there will come a time that it will be to Boise's benefit to deal with such institutions.  Thus, I see it highly unlikely that there isn't some settlement reached before resorting to the court to ultimately rule upon the legal issues.

From Boise's side - I see it.  Boise has brought value to the conference based on the way it has been able to market its program with its on-field success over the past decade or so.  It thinks it should be able to be rewarded for that value.  It is looking for its own bottom line which is how the business world often works.  Whether this vision will ultimately be good for Boise long term, no one knows.  However, what I know is that the MWC needs to proceed with a model that more accurately reflects a true partnership.

Can you update your resume in case Hair gets ousted in the fallout? Well said!

+++++ guys.

I love you.

This board has been my home for a long time.  You have all seen me through some shit.  Crippling health issues, losing loved ones etc...

I do not want this to be true.  In no small part because I love this community so much.  I will admit to being butt hurt about all this.  

For whatever it is worth, I am crafting an E-mail to Tromp currently that expresses my personal desire to stay in the MWC.  

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I posted a link earlier in the thread courtesy of the NBC affiliate in Boise.  While I know this isn't your source, a sports broadcaster does mention the Big West as a potential landing spot for Boise if they leave the MWC.

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-sues-mountain-west-conference-over-tv-contract-school-bonuses/277-5e044358-8b75-4ac1-9243-5f9bf44c7be4

"You wonder if the games against UCF down the line are going to become conference games [in the AAC Conference]," sports analyst Tom Scott speculated. "In that case, it would be football-only. This is speculation, but Boise State's other sports would probably have to go to the Big West. I don't think there's any other option for them other than the Big West."

Tom Scott has worked in Boise for 40 years and has been a sportscaster there for what, 30?  Lends some credibility to the idea.

It's still an "if" thing because Boise remains a member of the MWC until one side announces otherwise.

Well, of course the Big West is a potential landing spot - its pretty obvious.  So is the Big Sky, and to a lesser extent the WCC.  Dont need 40 years to figure that out.  5 minutes with a map and a list of conference standings will do.  The fact that he limits it to the BWest gives him LESS credibility.  Of course, there's probably a reason he's been doing Boise TV that long.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Well, of course the Big West is a potential landing spot - its pretty obvious.  So is the Big Sky, and to a lesser extent the WCC.  Dont need 40 years to figure that out.  5 minutes with a map and a list of conference standings will do.  The fact that he limits it to the BWest gives him LESS credibility.  Of course, there's probably a reason he's been doing Boise TV that long.

Ouch.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

+++++ guys.

I love you.

This board has been my home for a long time.  You have all seen me through some shit.  Crippling health issues, losing loved ones etc...

I do not want this to be true.  In no small part because I love this community so much.  I will admit to being butt hurt about all this.  

For whatever it is worth, I am crafting an E-mail to Tromp currently that expresses my personal desire to stay in the MWC.  

I hear ya. It's not done yet, it just looks that way. We will see how it plays out. But most of you were here before your school was. It would be a big loss to us if most of you leave with your school. Some bonds go beyond conference and school affiliations.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

It will work itself out. Boise State will end up staying in the end.

BYU and ESPN just announced a new media deal today (see other thread).

Wonder if the timing of this announcement has anything to do with your rumor of Boise and ESPN coming to terms on an ESPN deal with the AAC?

4 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

The Big West doesn’t have a balance issue.  
With UCSD & CSU Bakersfield coming in next year they are balanced.

They will also move to 20 conference games so no need to expand.  Besides, BSU burned them once already and aren’t going to get burned again.

It's not just moving to 20 games in hoops.  Volleyball does as well, meaning fewer opportunities ooc; Big West earned 3 bids in volleyball in 2019.  Cal State Bakersfield has been mediocre as a D1 program and UCSD will be starting a five year transition.    Baseball is looking at 30 conference games which takes a major hit with those two coming in, six fewer ooc opportunities.  And on top of that, Hawaii's travel expenses will increase; they pay for current members flight to Hawaii and will have to fly to San Diego and Bakersfield every year as well.

But if Boise joins, the Big West can go to north-south divisions.  Scheduling flexibility is restored in hoops, volleyball, baseball and softball.  And Hawaii's travel expenses would actually decrease.

18 minutes ago, RSF said:

There's more than just looking at the standings.  How would most Boise fans and officials react to going back to the Big Sky and seeing Idaho AND Idaho State every year?  High travel costs for all sports in a one bid league in everything.

Boise's president was previously a vice chancellor at UC Santa Cruz.  No doubt she wants to improve Boise's academic prestige by rubbing elbows with five UCs and Hawaii, vs Northern Colorado and Eastern Washington (no offense to those two)

Also, common sense says you don't add baseball to join a conference that doesn't even offer it.  No one is saying there's smoke or it's a done deal, just that the potential exists.