Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, pesik said:

almost everyone in the aac has spent more time in the aac than they did in c-usa ..i dont get your "long ties" comment..smu spends 80years in the swc and 6 in c-usa and now they are defining them by c-usa (an example)

Why are you so ashamed of the AAC's Conference USA roots?

Membership timeline[edit]

849d3912c07e7a94743b6cd42c2e444f.png

Full members (all-sports) Full members (non-football) Affiliate members (football-only) Affiliate member (other sport)Other Conference Other Conference

C

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Rice looks like they have similar attendance to about half the MWC

The visual is skewed by the fact that Rice Stadium is huge.  But yeah, not great.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, pesik said:

almost everyone in the aac has spent more time in the aac than they did in c-usa ..i dont get your "long ties" comment..smu spends 80years in the swc and 6 in c-usa and now they are defining them by c-usa (an example)

Houston was a founding member of C-USA.  Sorta.  Time spent is not the question. AAC is CUSA 2.0. 

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

The visual is skewed by the fact that Rice Stadium is huge.  But yeah, not great.

Didn’t they renovate it a few years ago ... removing some stands and lowering capacity?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Didn’t they renovate it a few years ago ... removing some stands and lowering capacity?

Not really, they put tarps on the end zones.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RSF said:

Rice is really an oddball fit in the CUSA 2.0   They are the only Private school in their conference.

I can understand why they want out....  They don't fit.   Not sure about the academics of the rest of the CUSA....

But part of the problem is their own doing.  They need to increase their enrollment and grow their school.  They need to be the TCU of Houston.... (larger enrollment)

Current members[edit]

Institution Location Founded Joined Enrollment Nickname Colors
University of Alabama at Birmingham Birmingham, Alabama 1969 1995[a 1] 21,923[11] Blazers          
Florida Atlantic University Boca Raton, Florida 1961 2013 29,772[12] Owls          
Florida International University University Park, Florida 1965 2013[a 2] 58,064[13] Panthers          
Louisiana Tech University Ruston, Louisiana 1894 2013 12,467[14] Bulldogs & Lady Techsters          
Marshall University Huntington, West Virginia 1837 2005 13,204[15] Thundering Herd          
Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, Tennessee 1911 2013 21,913[16] Blue Raiders          
University of North Carolina at Charlotte Charlotte, North Carolina 1946 2013[a 3] 29,710[17] 49ers          
University of North Texas Denton, Texas 1890 2013 38,087[18] Mean Green          
Old Dominion University Norfolk, Virginia 1930 2013[a 4] 24,176[19] Monarchs & Lady Monarchs[a 5]               
Rice University Houston, Texas 1912 2005 7,124[20] Owls          
University of Southern Mississippi Hattiesburg, Mississippi 1910 1995 14,509[21] Golden Eagles          
University of Texas at El Paso El Paso, Texas 1914 2005 25,151[22] Miners               
University of Texas at San Antonio San Antonio, Texas 1969 2013 30,674[23] Roadrunners               
Western Kentucky University Bowling Green, Kentucky 1906 2014[a 6] 19,456[24] Hilltoppers & Lady Toppers          
N

Colleges rankings.

University Affiliation Carnegie[41] Endowment[42] US News[43] Forbes[44]
University of Alabama at Birmingham Public (UA System) Research (Very High) N/A[d 1] 149 (National) 518
Florida Atlantic University Public (SUSF) Research (High) $270,933,875 RNP (National)[d 2] 536
Florida International University Public (SUSF) Research (Very High) $230,954,000 RNP (National)[d 2] 487
Louisiana Tech University Public (UL System) Research (High) N/A[d 1] 199 (National) 389
Marshall University Public Master's (Larger) $114,742,403 45 (Regional: South) N/A[d 3]
Middle Tennessee State University Public (TBR) Doctoral/Research $75,710,000 RNP (National)[d 2] 635
University of North Carolina at Charlotte Public (UNC System) Doctoral/Research $166,591,692 194 (National) 495
University of North Texas Public (UNT System) Research (High) $131,749,714 RNP (National)[d 2] 570
Old Dominion University Public Research (High) $240,900,000 210 (National)[d 2] 551
Rice University Private Research (Very High) $4,836,728,000 18 (National) 32
University of Southern Mississippi Public Research (High) $68,863,000 RNP (National)[d 2] 575
University of Texas at El Paso Public (UT System) Research (High) N/A[d 1] RNP (National)[d 2] 491
University of Texas at San Antonio Public (UT System) Research (High) N/A[d 1] RNP (National)[d 2] 642
Western Kentucky University Public Master's (Larger) $118,396,000 31 (Regional: South) 584
Notes

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree that these Texas programs aren't amazing...

But the problem with NDSU and Montana, etc, is that they'd have to want to move up from FCS to FBS.  There is nothing to suggest that they want to do this, or have the money to do this.  Montana probably has the most money, and they don't appear to be interested.  (A Montana vs Wyoming rivalry would be amazing).

in contrast, the Texas schools, all being FBS, could join tomorrow.   They already have MWC sized athletics budgets.   And, there are Hair's statements from 3-4 years ago, when he tried to persuade the Presidents to add Rice and UTEP (apparently both schools were interested)

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/11/9895720/conference-realignment-mountain-west-conference-usa-utep-rice

I guess the MWC could also contract.   But that depends on what the TV partners want and expect. 

I'm not sure why Montana is consistently being thrown into the conversation with NDSU.  NDSU has a bigger budget (by quite a bit), has a bigger brand and has had more consistent athletic success in the money sports over the past 10 years IMO.  We don't have new numbers that I am aware of, but  NDSU's athletic budget is likely at or near Nevada, SJSU and Utah State.  I would tend to believe that an FCS team with an athletic budget closer to a G5 average than an FCS average would certainly have some interest in moving up (money potential would dictate that from any business sense).

For 2017, total athletic budgets:

NDSU: $28 million

Montana: $21 million

FCS Average: $15 million.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs  - - Source

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yeah, because you're gonna get the P5, having just re-written the statute, to re-write it again.  Gook luck.  5-10%.

And Bullshit he's not sure.  That would be the dream scenario.

Why you got a waiver is perfectly logical.  Time.

Oh...he said it STERNLY.  Well, that changes everything....

And they're all options.  Go look up the word option.  Heck, I'll say you the effort.

op·tion
/ˈäpSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that is or may be chosen.
    "choose the cheapest options for supplying energy"

the dream sceneerio is a getting a legitimate 12th member like byu ...the interview i watched he says everyone prefers to go back to divisions and stay at 12...the dream scenario isnt get legislation change ..

also if there was no nye bowl at all (giving access to the g5) and i told you aresco said he was going to force the p5 to give us a slot, youd think i was insane and say i had no chance...but that is what happened, aresco is the sole and only reason the g5 slot in the ny6 exists, the original system had no g5 slot....

3 years ago the other 4 g4 conferences lead by the mwc attempted to lobby that navy not qualify for the g5 access slot or move the army game..as the army game was after g5 bowl selection...aresco got the ncaa to side with him and ignored the other g4 conferences.. you underestimate his influence 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Look at their record in football through the years. 

Yes, I agree...

Coaching is so huge for success...

There is no reason that they shouldn't be better than they are. 

Part of it is probably systemic----they have too small of an enrollment, and too high of entrance requirements.   They are sort of like a Stanford academically, but without the elite reputation and good conference

I think if they got a better coach, and a better conference (MWC), they'd have more success.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Rice is really an oddball fit in the CUSA 2.0   They are the only Private school in their conference.

I can understand why they want out....  They don't fit.   Not sure about the academics of the rest of the CUSA....

But part of the problem is their own doing.  They need to increase their enrollment and grow their school.  They need to be the TCU of Houston.... (larger enrollment)

Doubtful.  Rice likes being small.  Fancies themselves the Ivy-like.  Probably not wrong.  And their HUGE endowment allows them to bring in the best students.

1 minute ago, pesik said:

the dream sceneerio is a getting a legitimate 12th member like byu ...the interview i watched he says everyone prefers to go back to divisions and stay at 12...the dream scenario isnt get legislation change ..

also if there was no nye bowl at all (giving access to the g5) and i told you aresco said he was going to force the p5 to give us a slot, youd think i was insane and say i had no chance...but that is what happened, aresco is the sole and only reason the g5 slot in the ny6 exists, the original system had no g5 slot....

3 years ago the other 4 g4 conferences lead by the mwc attempted to lobby that navy not qualify for the g5 access slot or move the army game..as the army game was after g5 bowl selection...aresco got the ncaa to side with him and ignored the other g4 conferences.. you underestimate his influence 

Did you even READ my post?  Jeebus...Cougar High.....

"also if there was no nye bowl at all (giving access to the g5) and i told you aresco said he was going to force the p5 to give us a slot, youd think i was insane and say i had no chance...but that is what happened, aresco is the sole and only reason the g5 slot in the ny6 exists, the original system had no g5 slot...."

Good Lord...is the sky blue in your world?

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yes, I agree...

Coaching is so huge for success...

There is no reason that they shouldn't be better than they are. 

Part of it is probably systemic----they have too small of an enrollment, and too high of entrance requirements.   They are sort of like a Stanford academically, but without the elite reputation and good conference

I think if they got a better coach, and a better conference (MWC), they'd have more success.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It is systematic.  Finding the right coach for a university like Rice is difficult because of the small enrollment and their enrollment standards.  I don't think joining the MW fixes any of that, so I don't think they would be a good choice for expansion.  

If you want a Texas university to grow then you need one that isn't tough to get into and has an administration that will place an emphasis on football and basketball.  Rice does not fit this category.  I'm not sure why Rice even sponsors football to be honest.  

22 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Who is the AAC looking to add, if not from CUSA?

The AAC has such long ties to CUSA.   I mean, your whole conference WAS CUSA just 7 years ago.

All of the desirable CUSA teams are already in the AAC.

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It is systematic.  Finding the right coach for a university like Rice is difficult because of the small enrollment and their enrollment standards.  I don't think joining the MW fixes any of that, so I don't think they would be a good choice for expansion.  

If you want a Texas university to grow then you need one that isn't tough to get into and has an administration that will place an emphasis on football and basketball.  

I used to have this belief until I watched Colorado School of Mines go from perennial athletic doormat to perennial athletic power once investment into athletic programs, facilities and recruitment was made.  

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

If you want a Texas university to grow then you need one that isn't tough to get into and has an administration that will place an emphasis on football and basketball...

Dont think Houston is available....

9 minutes ago, pesik said:

Technically, that bolded part of your statement is false (for now) as Cincinnati and USF competed from 2005-2013 in the Big East.  The AAC wasn't created until July 2013.

UCF: 8 years in C-USA, completing year 7 in AAC

USF: 10 years in C-USA, year 7 in AAC

Cincinnati: 10 years in C-USA, year 7 in AAC.

East Carolina: 13 years in C-USA, year 6 in AAC.

Houston: 17 years in C-USA, year 6 in AAC

Memphis: 17 years in C-USA, year 7 in AAC

SMU: 8 years in C-USA, year 7 in AAC

Tulane: 19 years in C-USA, year 6 in AAC.

Tulsa: 9 years in C-USA, year 6 in AAC.

Nice try though.

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I'm not sure why Montana is consistently being thrown into the conversation with NDSU.  NDSU has a bigger budget (by quite a bit), has a bigger brand and has had more consistent athletic success in the money sports over the past 10 years IMO.  We don't have new numbers that I am aware of, but  NDSU's athletic budget is likely at or near Nevada, SJSU and Utah State.  I would tend to believe that an FCS team with an athletic budget closer to a G5 average than an FCS average would certainly have some interest in moving up (money potential would dictate that from any business sense).

For 2017, total athletic budgets:

NDSU: $28 million

Montana: $21 million

FCS Average: $15 million.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs  - - Source

It's because the State of Montana and its citizens have talked trash that they are "the greatest Cowboys, and have the best mountains in the Country".  Both States sell a ton of Wrangler Jeans...  Both States claim they love cold weather...

Almost like the State of Montana has been calling the State of Wyoming out.

A Wyoming vs Montana rivalry would be a huge national story.  Football game would be huge.

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I used to have this belief until I watched Colorado School of Mines go from perennial athletic doormat to perennial athletic power once investment into athletic programs, facilities and recruitment was made.  

Here is the question though.  Does Rice want to do that?  So far, they have not shown that commitment and I personally don't want to hear any promises about it. Look at SJSU and the promises they made.   

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Here is the question though.  Does Rice want to do that?  So far, they have not shown that commitment and I personally don't want to hear any promises about it. Look at SJSU and the promises they made.   

No.  I would not take Rice at this point at all.  But after what Colorado Mines did, I do think that the top academic institutions can be successful in athletics if they choose to focus on them.