Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

31 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree that these Texas programs aren't amazing...

But the problem with NDSU and Montana, etc, is that they'd have to want to move up from FCS to FBS.  There is nothing to suggest that they want to do this, or have the money to do this.  Montana probably has the most money, and they don't appear to be interested.  (A Montana vs Wyoming rivalry would be amazing).

I'd suggest you go do some research on the University of Montana if you think they have more money.  They have budget, enrollment, and faculty issues right now.  

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Aresco was on the radio 2 days ago, saying the AAC will absolutely look to expand to 12 teams within the next 2 years.

Must be ESPN+ (the AAC TV provider) pushing this.   AAC only got a waiver for 2 years.

AAC will look to Conference USA, since it is so closely aligned with that conference.   Top candidate seems to be UAB or Southern Miss.

none of this is true ...like none of it 

aresco only word is that he prefers 12 but will happily stay at 11 if no one is worthy... we arent looking at c-usa either 

13 minutes ago, pesik said:

aresco only word is that he prefers 12 but will happily stay at 11 if no one is worthy... we arent looking at c-usa either 

Of course he's looking at C-USA.  He'd be a moron not to.  He's looking everywhere.  Because he needs to.  Because he has 5 options: 1) convince the real power conferences to allow AAC a permanent waiver.  2) Play a 10 game conference schedule 3) go to a 5/6 division alignment.  4) Cut somebody loose.  5) Add a 12th football program.  1, 2 and 4 are highly unlikely.  Leaves 3 or 5.

And lest we forget, he's raided CUSA before in a time of need.  AAC is CUSA 2.0.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Of course he's looking at C-USA.  He'd be a moron not to.  He's looking everywhere.  Because he needs to.  Because he has 5 options: 1) convince the real power conferences to allow AAC a permanent waiver.  2) Play a 10 game conference schedule 3) go to a 5/6 division alignment.  4) Cut somebody loose.  5) Add a 12th football program.  1, 2 and 4 are highly unlikely.  Leaves 3 or 5.

1 isnt unlikely..its like people who said the waiver was unlikely...aresco said 1 is likely but we are not sure if we want to do it...that schools in the aac like divisions..he specifically alluded that the preference is 12 but they stay at 11 f no one worthy comes, that they will not water down the league (said it sternly)...reading between the lines, why get a waiver at all if we are going to add a team that is already readily available..why even say stay at 11 is a option ..whoever is being targeted isn't readily available  

Navy might find they'll earn more as an independent with a four game scheduling agreement with the AAC and that would give them most of the benefits of their current non football membership.  Navy will negotiate a new TV agreement in 2028 and CBS will have money to spend on eastern time FBS football without the SEC, ACC or Big Ten. 

If BYU was able to exceed the AAC value on an annual payment basis, then Navy can absolutely do the same thing because their tradition is so significant in the history of college football.   A Navy schedule with five games with autonomous conference opponents, Air Force, Army and four AAC games is a very good schedule and likely worth more than what Navy can get in the AAC where they usually only play one power 5 opponent each year unless they forgo an FCS opponent.

Navy returning to independent with a scheduling agreement for four games with the AAC would be the best outcome and likely result in more money for the AAC because the conference would divide by 10 instead of 12, even considering a tv package renegotiation based on two Navy road games each year rather than four.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Seems like the popular view on here is that IF Boise were to leave, the MWC will expand into Texas.

Reviewing Texas candidates:

(1) North Texas (close to the Mecca of Dallas / Fort Worth --- a.k.a. BBQ country).  Pretty good facilities investment.  Love of music (who doesn't love music???).  Too many band nerds?

(2) UTSA.   In San Antonio.   Play in the Alamodome.  But seems like the enrollment is much older---40 years olds.   More like a community college?

(3) Texas State.   San Marcos.   Apparently a party school---the San Diego State / Arizona State of Texas?   Seems like the least prestigious addition---a Sun Belt program.  Recent good investment in facilities.

(4) RICE.  Very good academics / endowment.   Small enrollment.  Smaller fanbase.   Owls Nation doesn't seem to care about growing enrollment any larger.  In Houston.

(5) UTEP.   Is this really a Texas school?  History with the WAC.   In the Mountain Time zone.  Sort of the "Wyoming Fans" of the Southwest (tread lightly around them---tougher than they look).   Very good facilities.  Bad market. 

Personally I’d invite North Texas or UTEP. But it will be RICE. They were interested 5 years ago. 

MW board of directors would be more impressed with the RICE facilities, endowments, and especially academics etc. Plus they would be very easy to get along with.

Basically the opposite of Boise in every which way. 

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

Personally I’d invite North Texas or UTEP. But it will be RICE. They were interested 5 years ago. 

MW board of directors would be more impressed with the RICE facilities, endowments, and especially academics etc. Plus they would be very easy to get along with.

Always funny when a Nevada Southern fan tries to make an academic dig. LOL 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

If Boise leaves, the MWC should add the Roadrunners! Or La Tech.

I wholeheartedly endorse the MWC adding the Roadrunners.  Take 'em!  You need another Cal State, plus the Birds would thrive here.

CAL-STATE-BAKERSFIELD-650x250.png

Guest #1Stunner
24 minutes ago, pesik said:

Who is the AAC looking to add, if not from CUSA?

The AAC has such long ties to CUSA.   I mean, your whole conference WAS CUSA just 7 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I can see everyone being giddy over Rice hoops. 

Guest #1Stunner
16 minutes ago, RSF said:

And lest we forget, he's raided CUSA before in a time of need.  AAC is CUSA 2.0.

The AAC and CUSA are tied at the hip. 

Aresco has stated that he needs 12 teams now.  Not sure why the AAC fans are pretending that the AAC isn't looking at CUSA right now.

4 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Dear God I hope not.  I agree with your assessment of everything about Rice structurally except you left out their football is atrocious.  

7 minutes ago, pesik said:

1 isnt unlikely..its like people who said the waiver was unlikely...aresco said 1 is likely but we are not sure if we want to do it..

Yeah, because you're gonna get the P5, having just re-written the statute, to re-write it again.  Gook luck.  5-10%.

And Bullshit he's not sure.  That would be the dream scenario.

Why you got a waiver is perfectly logical.  Time.

Oh...he said it STERNLY.  Well, that changes everything....

And they're all options.  Go look up the word option.  Heck, I'll say you the effort.

op·tion
/ˈäpSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that is or may be chosen.
    "choose the cheapest options for supplying energy"

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Navy might find they'll earn more as an independent but a six game scheduling agreement with the AAC would give them most of the benefits of their current non football .  Navy will negotiate a new TV agreement in 2028 and CBS will have money to spend on eastern time FBS football without the SEC, ACC or Big Ten. 

If BYU was able to exceed the AAC value on an annual payment basis, then Navy can absolutely do the same thing because their tradition is so significant in the history of college football.   A Navy schedule with five games with autonomous conference opponents, Air Force, Army and four AAC games is a very good schedule and likely worth more than what Navy can get in the AAC where they usually nly play one power 5 opponent each year unless they forgo an FCS opponent.

Navy returning to independent with a scheduling agreement for four games with the AAC would be the best outcome and likely result in more money for the AAC because the conference would divide by 10 instead of 12, even considering a tv package renegotiation based on two Navy road games each year rather than four.

Navy can't go for that.  They'd never be p6 again.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

I can see everyone being giddy over Rice hoops. 

Rice would be an amazing addition to the WCC

20181213_NCAA_MBB_St_Edwards_vs_Rice_ml_

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Who is the AAC looking to add, if not from CUSA?

The AAC has such long ties to CUSA.   I mean, your whole conference WAS CUSA just 7 years ago.

almost everyone in the aac has spent more time in the aac than they did in c-usa ..i dont get your "long ties" comment..smu spends 80years in the swc and 6 in c-usa and now they are defining them by c-usa (an example)

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Dear God I hope not.  I agree with your assessment of everything about Rice structurally except you left out their football is atrocious.  

Rice looks like they have similar attendance to about half the MWC

Remember that CSU vs Boise game this year?

68ec5d656d9765767a858d3b93566f00.jpg

CSU-Boise-State-crowd.jpg