Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

9 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Thompson's head will not satisfy Boise.  They are shooting for something much grander than that.

Boise is NOT “shooting” for anything.

To Boise it is theirs!!!!

Boise State is the proverbial ‘Debo’ from the movie Friday.

And the rest of the MWC is NOT getting their bike back.

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

The MW actions clearly shows they don’t want to keep Boise under current terms in perpetuity. The compromise was to give that deal 6 more years. Boise response is to sue, I don’t see the MW presidents caving when they already compromised. 

Boise is on their way out, the only question now is whether they forego the exit fees. 

You could be right but I don't think Boise filing the complaint is a sign that they want to leave. To me is indicates they want to stay and get extra benefit for remaining.

Do you think the Other members will vote to kick Boise out of the conference?  That would open a whole new set of lawsuits..

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

You could be right but I don't think Boise filing the complaint is a sign that they want to leave. To me is indicates they want to stay and get extra benefit for remaining.

Do you think the Other members will vote to kick Boise out of the conference?  That would open a whole new set of lawsuits..

They dont want them to leave but the special deal is done.  That isn't changing unless a whole new set of Boise friendly presidents suddenly sprout up.

That doesn't appear to be palatable to Boise so...what other conclusion is there to be drawn other than Boise isn't long for the MWC?

4 minutes ago, k5james said:

They dont want them to leave but the special deal is done.  That isn't changing unless a whole new set of Boise friendly presidents suddenly sprout up.

That doesn't appear to be palatable to Boise so...what other conclusion is there to be drawn other than Boise isn't long for the MWC?

I think this is possible too.  If the lawsuit goes forward and Boise wins, which is likely, they would want to stay in the MW.  They would not get that type of an arrangement with any other conference.

What could happen if and when Boise wins, is an airport meeting where several schools agree to leave the MW at the same time.  That doesn't seem all that likely.

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think this is possible too.  If the lawsuit goes forward and Boise wins, which is likely, they would want to stay in the MW.  They would not get that type of an arrangement with any other conference.

What could happen if and when Boise wins, is an airport meeting where several schools agree to leave the MW at the same time.  That doesn't seem all that likely.

I hear that the conference rooms at the new Westin Hotel at Denver International Airport are really nice.

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

How is Boise winning likely?  I think their chances are specious at best.

7 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Why do you feel it is likely that Boise wins the lawsuit?

31 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I wouldn’t say kick them out but there are ways to make Boise unwelcome. Certainly going to see counter lawsuits. The presidents aren’t going to be happy to see months/years of tv right negotiations go down the toilet because Boise didn’t approve. 

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

If the contract says that Boise has to approve any tv deal or it can't be ratified and they say they didn't vote for the new tv deal they have a very strong hand.  The legal filing is for breach of contract

The complaint says that they did not not provide informed consent. Which means that they did approve the sub license agreement but believe that the MW did not share all of the material terms. The tough row to hoe for Boise is that the term they seem to be saying needed mutual agreement is how the revenue from the contract would be distributed. Which is not a material term of the sublicense agreement but is a term of the re-entry agreement. I would view the MW to have the high ground on this claim.

48 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Thompson's head will not satisfy Boise.  They are shooting for something much grander than that.

All the other schools want to break the hierarchy, while Boise wants to enforce and STRENGTHEN the hierarchy.

In Meme terms, here’s SDSU approaching Boise State in a legal sense...

E773D86F-AFAC-4DAD-ACE1-4DFF21C6A796.png

4 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

All the other schools want to break the hierarchy, while Boise wants to enforce and STRENGTHEN the hierarchy.

In Meme terms, here’s SDSU approaching Boise State in a legal sense...

E773D86F-AFAC-4DAD-ACE1-4DFF21C6A796.png

You need to up your troll game..You aren't any good at it.

10 minutes ago, Savage said:

The complaint says that they did not not provide informed consent. Which means that they did approve the sub license agreement but believe that the MW did not share all of the material terms. The tough row to hoe for Boise is that the term they seem to be saying needed mutual agreement is how the revenue from the contract would be distributed. Which is not a material term of the sublicense agreement but is a term of the re-entry agreement. I would view the MW to have the high ground on this claim.

You could be right..

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

That's not really leverage.  It's called a bluff.  In the context of the current issue, leverage means there is an equal or better option for BSU if the MWC doesn't cave in.  That is not present here.  It would not be in BSU's best interest to go to the AAC.  The MWC is the best fit for BSU because BSU would get stuck in a far-flung conference playing teams BSU has utterly nothing in common with.  I know how that feels from our days in the Sun Belt. If the MWC remains mostly unified and plays hardball - as it should - BSU's options really sort of suck.  If you look at it that way, MWC actually has the leverage.

If BSU threatens the MWC with going to the AAC, the MWC should simply say "go ahead, but the bridge will be burned."  If the MWC can earnestly and convincingly project that message, it will have checkmate.

Here's the problem.  The MW has signaled that the Boise special deal is not permanent and will end soon.  The MW earns less than the AAC.  Long term, everyone knows Boise would be financially better off with the AAC (which was why the MW had to offer the special deal in the first place).  So, while the MW offers the superior "fit", its not necessarily the better financial option.  Thus, its not really fair to say Boise has no superior options.  That said---I still think the Boise and the MW will end up settling this issue.  Boise will get a raise in their bonus (though not as much as they want) and the MW will sign an agreement that reaffirms the special deal as lasting as long as the Boise stay in the conference.   

Doing my part to help @mugtang and the thread count...

Everyone knows football is king and everyone else views the MWC as Boise State and it's 11 bitches!!! :ph34r:

down in a hole.jpg

3 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I would guess that until such time Boise chooses to not pursue litigation or a suit proceeds and is adjudicated one way or the other, the CBS/FOX deal is on hold.  That is pretty good leverage right there. 

The CBS/Fox deal is essentially nuked right now. I don’t see how that’s leverage. 

The MW will have to go back to the drawing board to negotiate a new tv deal either way. 

That results in no net benefit to the MW.  While Boise certainly deserves a lion's share of the credit for the CBS/Fox deal there is no telling where their program will be in 6 years.  There is no assurance that the MW will even look the same then.

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

You ever succeed in your life long goal of becoming a mod?

Yes, @k5james Blart finally became a mod of this board:

https://forums.securityinfowatch.com/forum/on-guard-security-guard-services-discussion

The very first thing he did was perma-ban @tailingpermit, @halfmanhalfbronco, and I.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

The CBS/Fox deal is essentially nuked right now. I don’t see how that’s leverage. 

The MW will have to go back to the drawing board to negotiate a new tv deal either way. 

It isn't nuked yet.  It doesn't go into effect yet.  There is time to reach some sort of compromise with Boise.  I don't think there is an equitable compromise available.  I do not believe Boise is seeking a compromise of any sort. They want what the want.  It appears they are willing to sue everybody to get it.