Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

You are right. I’m not wringing my hands over this saga. 

The only ones freaked out are Boise fans. 

This is definitely untrue IMHO.  Not you personally (I can't speak to that) but the university presidents and other fanbases other than BSU.

Both sides have a lot to (potentially) lose if this goes badly. It's high stakes involved and any time there are high stakes, you can try and maintain a poker face to each other but it doesn't mean each doesn't understand what they stand to lose.

Both BSU and the MWC bring positives and negatives to the table for each other. Neither is perfectly happy with what the other is giving and taking. A healthy way to resolve this is discussion. Possibly that involves compromise by both parties, and, possibly it does not. But I strongly suspect that none of the 12 schools are calm and non-worried about this messy shit show.

1 hour ago, e-zone99 said:

I agree those numbers don't add up....   Boise St has it's own contract for their home games (normally 6 games), they normally have 2 more OOC games (that don't count for either contract / aka... home teams contract), which only leaves 4 conference away games...  So the question is how much do Boise St fans think these 4 away conference add to the MWC TV contract?   $5 million per game seems pretty high and lets not forget the MWC also includes all other sports.  Football is the big dog in the MWC contract, but basketball would have to be worth multiple millions year, wouldn't it?

Due to Hawaii's deal with the MW. We found that Football is valued at 80% of the contract, with 20% covering non-fb (basketball).

Taking that into consideration, the $270m deal that was made is estimated to be valued at $54m over 6 years or about $9m a year for non-fb sports. So football alone is valued at $216m over 6 years or $36m per year.

Just now, Chile_Ute said:

If they ‘signed’ on for MWC sports, then yes.

Boise would be upgrading in some sports, notably volleyball and baseball, if they went to the WCC.  That is anything but a slap in the face.

@#1Stunner , care to reply to your Ute brethren?

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL. You'll never get it.  BOIZEE is no longer a "primary draw".  The yawn from the locals hare is every bit as big for The Blue Turds as it is for New Mexico or Wyoming.  You just don't move the needle, at all. All of college football has moved on since you had your 15 minutes. You're just another pretty good P5 program.  That's it.

For a G5 conference, that's a pretty important thing to have tbh though isn't it?

Do you really want to try and make the argument that there's no difference in value for a "pretty good P5 program" and, say, an FCS backfill?

3 minutes ago, Jared said:

The Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Peach Bowl trophies all look cool too.  We've gotta work on the Orange and Fiesta Bowls though.  Although at least we've played in both (1 out of only 10 schools that have played in all 6 NY6 Bowls).

Yes, BSU-TCU games are inherently exciting - all essentially going down to the last play.  Can't beat that in college football rivalries.  If you want to play us, you should call Jerry Jones and agree to a 1-off game at JerryWorld for a few million $ each.  A home-and-home, though, isn't likely given the Big12's 9-game schedule, our ties to SMU and Patterson's preference for a FCS tune-up game each year. 

Boise State does have a few ties to Dallas, Jerry Jones and JerryWorld that we may be able to tap.  Just have to decide which of the Dallas players or the Offensive Coordinator would be the best to initiate the conversation.

9 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Not saying it's parallel.  Both Utah and TCU had very good rea$on$ to move on...BYU, not so much, but...you know...

I don't think Boise State is caterwauling with no backup plan.  While I'd be highly skeptical of Independence for BSU, I'd be happy with an AAC invite, all sports if possible, but don't have much invested as a fan for the other sports if it's football only and makes financial sense.  Boise State just needs the money and a competitive conference to continue to grow and on a consistent basis, the MWC has neither.  I totally understand that Boise State entering a more competitive conference would most likely not be able to maintain their win ratio, but like Utah and TCU's promotion, I believe the program would "catch up" to the conference quality and be a contender.

As far as the conference's ability to work together for a long term goal, sorry, but I haven't seen any real progress for decades in the comparative quality of football for most of the remaining programs.  Time's up!

I find it funny that the AAC is the answer.  Fact is, the only reason BSU was not in a money bowl was because of parity.  They lost a game they should have won.  So maybe your University is too pussy-ish to try to develop past that.  I’m sure that’s not it...MWCis too weak to help uour progress despite you could t get past the inferior MWC level.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

1 minute ago, BSUFan said:

Boise State does have a few ties to Dallas, Jerry Jones and JerryWorld that we may be able to tap.  Just have to decide which of the Dallas players or the Offensive Coordinator would be the best to initiate the conversation.

I think TCU has Jerry's number.  He's called us before.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

I find it funny that the AAC is the answer.  Fact is, the only reason BSU was not in a money bowl was because of parity.  They lost a game they should have won.  So maybe your University is too pussy-ish to try to develop past that.  I’m sure that’s not it...MWCis too weak to help uour progress despite you could t get past the inferior MWC level.

Nah, Boise State's team wasn't particularly good this year and the weakness of the MWC (and Florida State) hid what became obvious flaws.

I think Boise State has declined in quality from a very high level (the Golden Era re: the "Kellen Moore Period") and being in the MWC isn't helping us hire better coaches or recruit better athletes to at least approach those levels of the glorious past heydays!

And just for accuracy's sake, our disgraceful loss (aside from the bowl game) was to a non-MWC member.

Just now, RSF said:

I think TCU has Jerry's number.  He's called us before.

This should be a slam dunk. We could hit it from both sides.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Again, that's him acting in dual agency. Presidents are supposed to act in their school's best interest. But he represents ALL the presidents. When you are not acting in your clients best interest and deceiving them, like Boise is claiming, you are in violation of that and there is liability there. 

If someone asks you to do something illegal, it's still gunna be you that gets in trouble for it

What both you and @BSUTOP25 are describing with regards to Thompson is best called a "conflict of interest".

A, in my opinion, important point. It's generally assumed that the interests of each member institution of a conference and the conference as a whole are in alignment. If that is no longer true, then someone like Mr. Thompson cannot simultaneously represent both.

Just now, BSUFan said:

This should be a slam dunk. We could hit it from both sides.

Our next opening is in 2031.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

23 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

One thing I would say is that this seems like a repeat of back when BSU was in the WAC. 

At that time, the MWC was trying to make an argument that they deserved power (autobid) conference status based on the performance of teams like Utah, TCU, BYU and Air Force. BSU was trying to make the argument that adding them gets them closer to that goal.

Now the AAC is trying to make an argument that they deserve power conference status. How much closer would adding BSU to the conference get them to that goal? Hard to say. Unlike the old BCS, there is not, to my knowledge, criteria that establishes what being a "power" conference means.

But I do suspect that the AAC + BSU becomes a de facto autobid conference because I think the conference will be perceived as, by far, the strongest G5 conference so whomever wins the conference gets the G5 NY6 invite every year.

Still wouldn't be P5 in my opinion and not much closer.  TV contracts show that and TV isn't going to pay that conference $20M-50M per team a year like true P5s. They would probably win the Access Bowl bid most years but they would still be the little kid conference that people hate to play because there is zero upside.  

The P5 universities aren't going to share their wealth with anymore conferences then they have to.  

5 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Not saying it's parallel.  Both Utah and TCU had very good rea$on$ to move on...BYU, not so much, but...you know...

I don't think Boise State is caterwauling with no backup plan.  While I'd be highly skeptical of Independence for BSU, I'd be happy with an AAC invite, all sports if possible, but don't have much invested as a fan for the other sports if it's football only and makes financial sense.  Boise State just needs the money and a competitive conference to continue to grow and on a consistent basis, the MWC has neither.  I totally understand that Boise State entering a more competitive conference would most likely not be able to maintain their win ratio

As far as the conference's ability to work together for a long term goal, sorry, but I haven't seen any real progress for decades in the comparative quality of football for most of the remaining programs.  Time's up!

Right...

BYU last year in the MWC Athletic Revenue was $36,100,899 vs last years of $79,644,919, Net Revenue $10,587,333 (FWIW, Utah's-$82,467,618, Net Revenue $8,099,427; TCU's- $115,240,541, Net Revenue $0)

Compare that to say Boise St Athletic Revenue last year: $38,060,709, Net Revenue $2,414,075

1 hour ago, Chile_Ute said:

It would totally be a different thing if BSU were being invited to the table.  But there is bad blood when one is touted superior to the rest (performance of that granted) and receives special treatments.  Where there was a breakdown in this situation was the concessions when they “came back.”

If its BSU’s leadership driving this bus, then it’s on them.  If its BSU’s leadership doing this in interest of the boosters and ghost of Kustra (he died right?!) then shame on BSU’s leadership.  But most of all, shame on Hair.  He now has a pattern of talking out of both sides of his mouth....I can’t help but think he doesn’t play the conference to keep his cush job.

One of the reasons I am trying to not to jump to too many conclusions is we don't know what has been said between parties and a lot in general we don't know.  What we do know is that BSU gets an additional amount out of media rights.  That was a mistake made, and it is something you don't see in other conferences and for good reason.  We don't know how the dialogue has been between the universities maybe the other 10 are being incredibly obstinate and BSU is trying to work with them. In my experience in contract disputes and lawsuits (generally engineering and construction related) it is pretty rare that if it is a lone party against many others for that lone party to be in the right.  Not writing it is impossible.  It is just when I know I don't have all the information and sides of the story, I think what is more likely.

2 hours ago, Broncomare said:

So, $180K would suddenly make everyone so much better?  As for exposure, that is dictated by the TV networks.  Is the MWC gong to tell Fox it can have the Boise home games but they also have to broadcast the New Mexico home games?  

“Only” read 55 pages thus far here...

This is consistently the incorrect argument/observation many Boise fans make. It’s not whether the $180k per team would do all that much - it wouldn’t. It’s what EACH TEAM, were they given the same setup that Boise benefits from, would do with an added $1.8MM, i.e., above and beyond their conference peers.  And, yes, I understand all other MWC teams couldn’t benefit from such a setup simultaneously.  Each would be a case-by-case basis.

To think some teams couldn’t make some more hay than they do at their current funding level is to be short-sighted, perhaps significantly so.  Hell, with that extra money, even SJSU could afford to pay some Assistants better, have a larger recruiting budget, etc.  Does that translate to Boise level success?  In all likelihood, no. But every team in the MWC not named Boise has to wonder what the effect would be, were their role with BSU was reversed in this regard...

33 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I'm both going to drop you a like for this (because it's true IMHO that the conference had a good year) AND give you an answer to your rhetorical question.

In this case, I would suggest that "what more" the conference could have done is what Harsin suggested...make all the arguments that you just made in favor of BSU getting a NY6 bowl invite. (Which tbf we probably would have wasted given the egg we laid against Washington) But we didn't really see a lot of Hair making the arguments about the conference performance that you made in this very post.

I think that's a fair point.  The conference has really missed the boat when it comes to advocating for teams like a NY6 invite or a better seed in the NCAA tournament.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

OK, slightly over-stated time line.  But the obviously ambitious programs improved and left.  Which current MWC school, let's say over the last 30 years, had an extended period of excellence?  I honestly can't think of one, but that absolutely doesn't mean there might not be a couple...

Oh, I don't know

CSU won the WAC 1994, 1995, 1997. MWC 1999, 2000, 2002

AF won the WAC in 1995, 1998

FSU won the WAC 1992, 1993, 1999. MWC 2013, 2018

I'd argue that those WAC championships by these schools in the early 90's was a much harder schedule than anything faced by current members since 2012.

But in the end I guess it all depends on your definition of "extended".

1 minute ago, e-zone99 said:

Right...

BYU last year in the MWC Athletic Revenue was $36,100,899 vs last years of $79,644,919, Net Revenue $10,587,333 (FWIW, Utah's-$82,467,618, Net Revenue $8,099,427; TCU's- $115,240,541, Net Revenue $0)

Compare that to say Boise St Athletic Revenue last year: $38,060,709, Net Revenue $2,414,075

I'm not saying BYU didn't have financial reasons to become Independent as your numbers above clearly show.  But IMO, Utah's and TCU's additional benefits far outweight those of BYU's current situation and I don't believe, in tune with Bronco Mendenhall's take, that Independence is a good long-term deal for The Borg.  I desperately hope Boise State doesn't follow the same path.

5 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Right...

Well I found that last year Utah revenue was $91,000,000 and BSU was $48,000,000 .according to USA today.

2 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

What both you and @BSUTOP25 are describing with regards to Thompson is best called a "conflict of interest".

A, in my opinion, important point. It's generally assumed that the interests of each member institution of a conference and the conference as a whole are in alignment. If that is no longer true, then someone like Mr. Thompson cannot simultaneously represent both.

Which is why you shouldn't have unequal revenue sharing.  It creates conflict of interest within the conference