Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

2 minutes ago, Jared said:

All-time it's 2-2.  We won in San Diego and on the blue.  That 2011 MWC trophy looks great in our trophy box and we still have won at least as many MWC championships as anyone (4).

60!

The three Fiesta Bowl Trophies look real nice standing next to one another in the Boise State Hall of Fame.

Ahh, the TCU victory over Boise.  That one hurt.  But Patterson did a masterful coaching job against Petersen that day. Pattersen saw our injured corners and just kept picking at the scab until if fell off. 

Just wish we could have seen more match ups with TCU. Every game played against you all was a thrill and your fan base was a blast. 

Guest #1Stunner

From a BYU poster on the Cougarboard (shows why really only Air Force could count on the WCC, possibly).

That leaves the WAC as the only other non-football conference out west, that might be willing to add a team. 

Academic Rankings According to the U.S. and World News

WCC schools in the National Universities category:

#50 Pepperdine
#54 Santa Clara
#64 LMU
#77 BYU
#79 Gonzaga
#91 San Diego
#97 San Francisco
#125 Pacific
*Portland and SMC are ranked in the Western Regional University Rankings

Average WCC National University Ranking (8 schools): 79.6

WCC schools in the Western Regional University Rankings:

#2 Portland
#5 SMC

Pac-12 schools in the National Universities category:

#6 Stanford
#20 UCLA
#22 Cal (tie)
#22 USC
#62 Washington
#104 Colorado (tie)
#104 Oregon
#104 Utah
#117 Arizona (tie)
#117 Arizona State
#139 Oregon State
#166 Washington State

Average Pac-12 National University Ranking (12 schools): 81.9

Mountain West schools in the national university rankings (the rankings only go to #292):

#147 San Diego State
#166 Colorado State (tie)
#166 Hawaii
#211 Fresno State
#218 New Mexico
#228 Wyoming
#240 Nevada
#254 Utah State
Unranked Boise State
Unranked UNLV

Western Regional Universities in the MWC:
#24 San Jose State

National Liberal Arts Colleges in the MWC:

#39 Air Force

3 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I'm both going to drop you a like for this (because it's true IMHO that the conference had a good year) AND give you an answer to your rhetorical question.

In this case, I would suggest that "what more" the conference could have done is what Harsin suggested...make all the arguments that you just made in favor of BSU getting a NY6 bowl invite. (Which tbf we probably would have wasted given the egg we laid against Washington) But we didn't really see a lot of Hair making the arguments about the conference performance that you made in this very post.

That would imply your bigger beef is with Hair (TBH I don’t know how much he does or doesn’t reflects the wants if the Presidents.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

1 minute ago, Chile_Ute said:

That would imply your bigger beef is with Hair (TBH I don’t know how much he does or doesn’t reflects the wants if the Presidents.

I would say that I have viewpoints but no particular beefs per se.

But you're pretty correct on what you're saying here. How the conference commissioner does (or in this case does NOT) promote it's programs each year IS something that can be argued as a positive or a negative. 

27 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

It is not a parallel situation.  BSU was not denied access to MWC those years because there was not an available spot.  Utah was fortunate for an invite and took it, then same for TCU.  BYU did what they did, but their situation is a bit different given the church angle.  Not the same.  BSU is trying to leverage a situation that isn’t there....aside from BYU, UU and TCU moves because it was offered.

I also think you discount the ability of the conference to work together for a long term goal.  But BSU’s path has been one of promotion, problem is you’re not ready for a plateau or even decline.  Your leadership and base are going to lose their f-ing minds.

Not saying it's parallel.  Both Utah and TCU had very good rea$on$ to move on...BYU, not so much, but...you know...

I don't think Boise State is caterwauling with no backup plan.  While I'd be highly skeptical of Independence for BSU, I'd be happy with an AAC invite, all sports if possible, but don't have much invested as a fan for the other sports if it's football only and makes financial sense.  Boise State just needs the money and a competitive conference to continue to grow and on a consistent basis, the MWC has neither.  I totally understand that Boise State entering a more competitive conference would most likely not be able to maintain their win ratio, but like Utah and TCU's promotion, I believe the program would "catch up" to the conference quality and be a contender.

As far as the conference's ability to work together for a long term goal, sorry, but I haven't seen any real progress for decades in the comparative quality of football for most of the remaining programs.  Time's up!

10 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

The three Fiesta Bowl Trophies look real nice standing next to one another in the Boise State Hall of Fame.

Ahh, the TCU victory over Boise.  That one hurt.  But Patterson did a masterful coaching job against Petersen that day. Pattersen saw our injured corners and just kept picking at the scab until if fell off. 

Just wish we could have seen more match ups with TCU. Every game played against you all was a thrill and your fan base was a blast. 

The Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Peach Bowl trophies all look cool too.  We've gotta work on the Orange and Fiesta Bowls though.  Although at least we've played in both (1 out of only 10 schools that have played in all 6 NY6 Bowls).

Yes, BSU-TCU games are inherently exciting - all essentially going down to the last play.  Can't beat that in college football rivalries.  If you want to play us, you should call Jerry Jones and agree to a 1-off game at JerryWorld for a few million $ each.  A home-and-home, though, isn't likely given the Big12's 9-game schedule, our ties to SMU and Patterson's preference for a FCS tune-up game each year. 

11 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

You could be right, but I think the scheduling math would have to change a bit as an indy for BSU.

The possibility of a NY6 bowl would be pretty much non-existent under this scenario. So without that goal to shoot for, I think BSU would probably opt for a spicier schedule like BYU has to try and keep fans and recruits engaged and interested.

I could be wrong, but I could see BSU at least TRYING to schedule a lot tougher. Whether or not they would succeed....tough question. I think BYU has some intrinsic advantages over BSU in terms of their abilities to sign deals with P5 opponents so BSU might not be able to get deals that BYU has managed to swing.

I could see Boise St scheduling neutral site one and done games with P5 schools, ESPN has help BYU sign a lot of interesting games.  The key to landing deals with the P5 schools seems to be guaranty money and with Boise St scheduling the East Side upgrade, chance of bring in better P5 programs deals increase (aka... more money from having more suites).

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

From a BYU poster on the Cougarboard (shows why really only Air Force could count on the WCC, possibly).

That leaves the WAC as the only other non-football conference out west, that might be willing to add a team.

WCC schools in the National Universities category:

#50 Pepperdine
#54 Santa Clara
#64 LMU
#77 BYU
#79 Gonzaga
#91 San Diego
#97 San Francisco
#125 Pacific
*Portland and SMC are ranked in the Western Regional University Rankings

Average WCC National University Ranking (8 schools): 79.6

WCC schools in the Western Regional University Rankings:

#2 Portland
#5 SMC

Pac-12 schools in the National Universities category:

#6 Stanford
#20 UCLA
#22 Cal (tie)
#22 USC
#62 Washington
#104 Colorado (tie)
#104 Oregon
#104 Utah
#117 Arizona (tie)
#117 Arizona State
#139 Oregon State
#166 Washington State

Average Pac-12 National University Ranking (12 schools): 81.9

Mountain West schools in the national university rankings (the rankings only go to #292):

#147 San Diego State
#166 Colorado State (tie)
#166 Hawaii
#211 Fresno State
#218 New Mexico
#228 Wyoming
#240 Nevada
#254 Utah State
Unranked Boise State
Unranked UNLV

Western Regional Universities in the MWC:
#24 San Jose State

National Liberal Arts Colleges in the MWC:

#39 Air Force

Screenshot_2020-01-24 The Best National Universities in America.png

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

What?  Suing your conference mate to secure an additional unfair advantage?  Don't think so. This hubris is borne of an over-developed sense of entitlement based on faded glory. It's a new day.   The Blue Turd is no more or less appealing to a national market than the rest of us.  It smacks of Pee6 crapola.  Like I said, Adios.  You won't be missed.  Your spot in the lineup can easily be filled by a team that's third or fourth or even fifth in a market like DFW.

The non-bolded part of your post can very definitely be argued to be correct.

Claiming that BSU's departure won't hurt the conference, either monetarily or reputation wise, or that BSU has less national rep than SJSU, or that we can easily be backfilled is...more than a heavy lift. 

Just now, nocoolnamejim said:

I would say that I have viewpoints but no particular beefs per se.

But you're pretty correct on what you're saying here. How the conference commissioner does (or in this case does NOT) promote it's programs each year IS something that can be argued as a positive or a negative. 

That’s where I see the bigger issue.  The conference as a whole has a weak liaison for the conference...not just BSU

2 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Not saying it's parallel.  Both Utah and TCU had very good rea$on$ to move on...BYU, not so much, but...you know...

I don't think Boise State is caterwauling with no backup plan.  While I'd be highly skeptical of Independence for BSU, I'd be happy with an AAC invite, all sports if possible, but don't have much invested as a fan for the other sports if it's football only and makes financial sense.  Boise State just needs the money and a competitive conference to continue to grow and on a consistent basis, the MWC has neither.  I totally understand that Boise State entering a more competitive conference would most likely not be able to maintain their win ratio

As far as the conference's ability to work together for a long term goal, sorry, but I haven't seen any real progress for decades in the comparative quality of football for most of the remaining programs.  Time's up!

Decades?!!  Well, I now see your perspective.

1 minute ago, e-zone99 said:

I could see Boise St scheduling neutral site one and done games with P5 schools, ESPN has help BYU sign a lot of interesting games.  The key to landing deals with the P5 schools seems to be guaranty money and with Boise St scheduling the East Side upgrade, chance of bring in better P5 programs deals increase (aka... more money from having more suites).

Hoping it won't come to any of this tbh. I don't think BSU going Indy is a long term winning proposition. I've argued (and still would argue) that it hurts BYU, and I would say that BYU has a better ability to pull it off than BSU does.

If BSU does leave the MWC (which I don't think they should at this point barring new information) then I think it should be for the AAC while creating a western division. If they can't do that then I think they're best off where they are at this point.

This is laughable.  There are a handful of BSU fans who are logical about this, but the rest are desperately trying to justify their position by coming up with wacky claims about money, while telling everyone else they would be just as back stabby as BSU if they had the chance.  Those posters seeking validation are the ones shocked that the board consensus is GTFO if you can't play nice. 

BSU - you played an instrumental role in blowing up the WAC and the Big Least.  Now you're threatening to do it again, but everyone has wised up.  Just take your temporary premium distribution and ride off into the sunset.  Alternatively, treat your conference mates as equals.  As the MWC crushingly said to Idaho: It's time for you to switch to plan B, whatever that plan may be. 

18 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Not to mention it’s a huge slap in the face of non-FB sports.

Sending non-FB sports to a multibid league is a slap in the face?  

10 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Decades?!!  Well, I now see your perspective.

OK, slightly over-stated time line.  But the obviously ambitious programs improved and left.  Which current MWC school, let's say over the last 30 years, had an extended period of excellence in football?  I honestly can't think of one, but that absolutely doesn't mean there might not be a couple...

And since we're talking about "working together to be a dominant G5 conference" can anybody point to the original remaining MWC members and say, collectively they were dominant?!?! 

1 hour ago, e-zone99 said:

I agree those numbers don't add up....   Boise St has it's own contract for their home games (normally 6 games), they normally have 2 more OOC games (that don't count for either contract / aka... home teams contract), which only leaves 4 conference away games...  So the question is how much do Boise St fans think these 4 away conference add to the MWC TV contract?   $5 million per game seems pretty high and lets not forget the MWC also includes all other sports.  Football is the big dog in the MWC contract, but basketball would have to be worth multiple millions year, wouldn't it?

Basketball is usually worth 20% or less of the media rights value.