Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Incorrect. SDSU only does what we tell it to do. 

Sorry, forgot I was answering to a spaztech.

down in a hole.jpg

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay, but so is breach of contract. 

True, but entitlement came first.  Too easy to breed contempt, jealousy, covet-ness (if that’s even a thing).

seems the easy answer would be equal media rights (with freedom of 2nd/3rd tier to individual schools) and then an annual distribution by percentage of post season play to the entire conference.  Then ebb and flow of who the top dog doesn’t matter, it adjusts season to season.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

Just now, Rosegreen said:

You are right. I’m not wringing my hands over this saga. 

The only ones freaked out are Boise fans. 

Please don't paint with a broad brush. A handful of Boise State fans are freaked out. The rest of us are like "everyone just needs to calm the +++++ down." 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

No need to be so hostile dick head!!!  You damn well know that your school looks out for the best interests of its self.  If you believe that it doesn't, than I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

If you have that property hold on to it...next big quake could make that a reality.

4 hours ago, BobbyBoSox said:

This IS my favorite thread...

To answer Wyovanian's question,

Can we assume, roughly, the Fox/CBS deal is worth $300M over 6 years?
So, if BSU bolts, what would Fox/CBS do?
There are rumors that Fox's sole interest was BSU. But that is a rumor and none of us can really know.
But if that is true, do you believe that the MWC could still land a $240M contract? $180M? $150M?
IMO, based on how TV rights have been negotiated and what the lesser conferences have got, I can't see the MW getting more than $2.5M/ year.
That's a total of $180M. Which means BSU football is worth $120M over 6 years! Or $20M per year.
And some of you want us to shut up and thank you for the $6M?

We cannot quantify this answer with this information?
But we can narrow down an answer.

BSU football > $6M / year.
Remember, if the contract went up 3.5x, if you increased our $1.8M payout by 3.5x, that is only $6.3M which reduces conference payouts to $3.7M. BSU would get an even $10M/year.
When you put it this way, now does BSU seem too unreasonable?

Short answer- if you really believe those numbers, there isn't a conference possible for you that wouldn't tell you to go fu-k yourselves.

Good luck on that independent contract for $10-20M.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Chile_Ute said:

True, but entitlement came first.  Too easy to breed contempt, jealousy, covet-ness (if that’s even a thing).

seems the easy answer would be equal media rights (with freedom of 2nd/3rd tier to individual schools) and then an annual distribution by percentage of post season play to the entire conference.  Then ebb and flow of who the top dog doesn’t matter, it adjusts season to season.

Can't blame Boise State for asking and getting a little more. The MWC could have said no. As it is, the term sheet is in place and the MWC has to honor it or they'll be in breach. The parties have got 6 years to work something out as the AAC move isn't going to happen unless they add three schools and create an all sports western division. I doubt that happens. 

13 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

I suppose I have higher expectations of executive level mouthpieces. This isn't about what happens today, tomorrow, or next week. It's a position that requires someone who understands the horizons that are the cycles of business and politics. The dynamics are manifold and play out on various temporal axes. In such an environment, it's best to be clever and respected. Thompson is neither.

Or, to put it a different way, it never hurts to leave options open for the future.

There's just no need to burn bridges. None of this needs to be personal. It's strictly business.

36 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

So, $180K would suddenly make everyone so much better?  As for exposure, that is dictated by the TV networks.  Is the MWC gong to tell Fox it can have the Boise home games but they also have to broadcast the New Mexico home games?  

Then throw in there that every program in the mw is earning more tv money than they ever have because of bsu. 

Its just easier for people to blame bsu for their own problems. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

4 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Or, to put it a different way, it never hurts to leave options open for the future.

There's just no need to burn bridges. None of this needs to be personal. It's strictly business.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Can't blame Boise State for asking and getting a little more. The MWC could have said no. As it is, the term sheet is in place and the MWC has to honor it or they'll be in breach. The parties have got 6 years to work something out as the AAC move isn't going to happen unless they add three schools and create an all sports western division. I doubt that happens. 

Agree.  But what BSU brings the MWC isn’t static.  There is always the possibility of them having a UNM season or two....I know that seems impossible but it’s not.  One bad replacement at coach or ad is all it takes.  Why should BSU have an ongoing benefit in the flux of things.

This FB season was a great showing for the MWC.  Something to build on.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Good luck pushing North Texas as the new primary draw for the MWC TV contract. 

LOL. You'll never get it.  BOIZEE is no longer a "primary draw".  The yawn from the locals here is every bit as big for The Blue Turds as it is for New Mexico or Wyoming.  You just don't move the needle, at all. All of college football has moved on since you had your 15 minutes. You're just another pretty good P5 program.  That's it.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Just now, Chile_Ute said:

Agree.  But what BSU brings the MWC isn’t static.  There is always the possibility of them having a UNM season or two....I know that seems impossible but it’s not.  One bad replacement at coach or ad is all it takes.  Why should BSU have an ongoing benefit in the flux of things.

This FB season was a great showing for the MWC.  Something to build on.

I get your point. But we can't go back and erase the past, we have to deal with what's real in the present. If the dynamics have changed, then the MWC and Boise State need to work out a compromise. And you don't start compromising by making a public pronouncement that is ultimately going to lead to one side losing face. Hair handled this situation completely wrong. A deal could have been reached over time behind closed doors. 

20 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

And that was all done giving Boise State an extra $1.8M. Just imagine how much better the league would be if each school got another $167,000

And conversely, figure out the performance vs. financials impact if BSU leaves and the MWC contract is renegotiated.  This board would get a more accurate, real-world accounting of Boise State's value, for better or worse, if that turns out to be the case.  

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

I get your point. But we can't go back and erase the past, we have to deal with what's real in the present. If the dynamics have changed, then the MWC and Boise State need to work out a compromise. And you don't start compromising by making a public pronouncement that is ultimately going to lead to one side losing face. Hair handled this situation completely wrong. A deal could have been reached over time behind closed doors. 

Then BSU should sue the Hair....just sayin’.  

20 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Sense of entitlement is a biotch

I don't fault the Utes for leaving for PAC 12.  But even when you guys were beating the likes of Bama in big bowl games you guys weren't pulling these stunts or demanding what BSU is.  Those Utah teams were leagues better than any MW Boise State team.  They didn't need last minute trick plays to beat top teams, they outright beat top teams.  Regarding the tbsuf post above yours I would not want Wyoming doing this because hurting the conference is hurting yourself. 

I just think it is unlikely to have out of 11 University Presidents who are likely getting legal counsel having the side with 10 being wrong.  If they are everyone of them should be canned.  But honestly what is more likely?  As for Boise State earning more in the media rights deal, Ohio State couldn't, Alabama wouldn't, Boise State shouldn't.