Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Eh, I dunno. I think if those issues were that bad we would have seen BYU go to the AAC by now. 

I don't think those schools have a comparable agenda.  BYU wants exposure and a national schedule to showcase their brand and let their national fan base go to games.  

Boise has a regional fan base and has made their name off of NY6 bowls (BCS Bowls).  They want exposure as well but I think the Access Bowl is important to them.  They also don't have the added benefit of a national fan base like BYU to interest other schools in scheduling.  

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't think those schools have a comparable agenda.  BYU wants exposure and a national schedule to showcase their brand and let their national fan base go to games.  

Boise has a regional fan base and has made their name off of NY6 bowls (BCS Bowls).  They want exposure as well but I think the Access Bowl is important to them.  They also don't have the added benefit of a national fan base like BYU to interest other schools in scheduling.  

I also think Boise would also have a more difficult time than BYU when it comes to scheduling...  and it was tough for BYU (but looks pretty good now).

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Football is a dying sport anyway. In 20 years it will be played regionally, like the southeast and Midwest. But I don’t think there will be many schools on the west coast playing football. 

The thing is that until pretty recently, college football was a regional sport. It was structured regionally and it was run on a regional model. National attention, and games with national significance, were the exception not the norm. It's flipped to a national sport only since, what, the 90s? Going to a regional sport will simply be a return to equilibrium after an aberration. The problem will be that institutions without the national recognition (see: everyone in this conference, except MAYBE BSU... MAYBE) will have made long term decisions meant to help them survive and/or thrive as part of a national sport. But the market will change quickly and drastically, and it's going to be hard for programs, networks, sponsors, etc. to continue paying national sport dollars for regional sport returns.

It's happened or is happening in every other entertainment industry, like, EVER. Everyone here likes to har-dee-har-har the inevitability of the disintegration of SJSU's football program, but the beast is coming for all of us. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yep — I agree that SJSU is going to be the athletics powerhouse in 20 years.

D5wluiFV4AA9Xfx.jpg

Laugh it up, but if you think they're gonna let the smartest kid in in the classroom with plastic scissors go to Harvard, you got another thing coming.

To use another analogy, BSU has a chance to be Superchunk. Instead they're going to be the Brian Jonestown Massacre. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Laugh it up, but if you think they're gonna let the smartest kid in in the classroom with plastic scissors go to Harvard, you got another thing coming.

To use another analogy, BSU has a chance to be Superchunk. Instead they're going to be the Brian Jonestown Massacre. 

Drink up my friend.

81bcsuEktxL._SX425_.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Saw mention of this lawsuit in the news and ended up here after digging for more information and the bewilderment is real after reading all of this. How little the conference would be worth without BSU? The MWC needs BSU more than BSU needs the MWC? My goodness kids, this isn’t UofT and the B12.

There are a handful of member intuitions in the conference who have annual operating budgets that begin with a # and end with a word that starts with the letter “B”, who also happen to view football with a level of importance just shy of throwing around lawsuits if they feel slighted, both characteristics unlike the subject school at hand. I suspect the presidents and chancellors of these schools aren’t being kept up at night dreading losing a couple million a year in media rights should one particular member decide the grass is greener elsewhere. This also isn’t the PAC12. BSU isn’t holding down a spot as research partner for the Tier 1 schools in this conference. An AAU member isn’t walking out the door. There are no academic ties that bind and there likely never would be.

There is no question BSU brings value to the MWC. On the other hand, unequal revenue sharing is likely a matter grudgingly accepted at best by nearly all the members not named BSU. Now throw threat of litigation on top for a little flavor and I have to wonder when the questions start of if maintaining an athletic conference relationship with BSU is worth the headache. If the administrations of the other member schools weren’t already thinking about that given the unequal revenue, separate media negotiations, and BSU’s boat anchor academics, my guess is the lawsuit has it running laps around their brains now.

It is probably time for this unequal revenue sharing, bastardized WAC3.0 version to die.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Where is Boise going to go? It would have to go Indy, but there wouldn’t be a path to a NY6. and your schedule would get much tougher like BYU’s has, and as a G5 you’d have to go undefeated to ensure a NY6 if they were given a path.

The AAC would have to add a new western division of 6 schools and rename the current west div something else. So 3 divisions of 6 with 18. Best 2 division winners play in a championship game. 

But it wouldn’t work just to add Boise and another west school. Way too much travel, no rivalries, it would suck. 

So here we go again, which 6 would it be? 
1. Boise St.
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. UNLV
5. Fresno St. 
6. AF

or

1. Boise St. 
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. UNLV
5. CSU
6. AF

or

1. Boise St. 
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. Fresno St. 
5. CSU
6. AF

The 2 conferences should make a 16 team conference. 8 form the Eastern and 8 form the western divisions. the following shows how i think it would go and the number beside the team is the TV market ranking nationally.

Eastern Division                                   Western Division

Temple(4)                                             SMU(5)

South Florida(12)                                 Houston(8)

UCF(18)                                               Colo St(17)

Navy(26)                                              San Diego St(29)

Cincy(37)                                             UNLV(39)

Tulane(50)                                           Fresno St(55)

Memphis(51)                                       Tulsa(58)

East Carolina(100)                              Boise St(102)

**Air Force(85) could be put in place of Colorado State if they wanted the sevice academy instead to pair with Navy

The 2 divisions are seperated by the Mississippi River geographically so travel wouldn't be outrageous. You would play all your divisional opponents and 1 crossover game or 5 out of conference games. Makes too much sense if you ask me(which I'm sure no one will lol).

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Drink up my friend.

81bcsuEktxL._SX425_.jpg

LOL, not sure where you got the sense that I'm drinking any Kool-Aid. But that's fine.

Boise State has a Quittich team too. I'm sure their power invite is in the mail.

Good luck being the Anton Newcombe of college football. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

LOL, not sure where you got the sense that I'm drinking any Kool-Aid. But that's fine.

Boise State has a Quittich team too. I'm sure their power invite is in the mail.

Good luck being the Anton Newcombe of college football. 

You referenced the Brian Jonestown Massacre band and I just put a little pun in there. Don’t put too much thought into it.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

You referenced the Brian Jonestown Massacre band and I just put a little pun in there. Don’t put too much thought into it.

LOL... That totally flew over my head. 

I'm an idiot, though my rock and roll analogy stands. I think that mid-majors need to look at their analogues in the music industry as I see a similar restructuring of the business model coming in college football and sports in general. 

18 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I also think Boise would also have a more difficult time than BYU when it comes to scheduling...  and it was tough for BYU (but looks pretty good now).

I agree.  I think your national fan base helps with attendance all over the country.  I don't think the Boise fan base would travel as well which is a downside for Boise.  

15 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

The 2 conferences should make a 16 team conference. 8 form the Eastern and 8 form the western divisions. the following shows how i think it would go and the number beside the team is the TV market ranking nationally.

Eastern Division                                   Western Division

Temple(4)                                             SMU(5)

South Florida(12)                                 Houston(8)

UCF(18)                                               Colo St(17)

Navy(26)                                              San Diego St(29)

Cincy(37)                                             UNLV(39)

Tulane(50)                                           Fresno St(55)

Memphis(51)                                       Tulsa(58)

East Carolina(100)                              Boise St(102)

**Air Force(85) could be put in place of Colorado State if they wanted the sevice academy instead to pair with Navy

The 2 divisions are seperated by the Mississippi River geographically so travel wouldn't be outrageous. You would play all your divisional opponents and 1 crossover game or 5 out of conference games. Makes too much sense if you ask me(which I'm sure no one will lol).

How about we drop Navy, Tulane, ECU, & Tulsa.

OR

We combine both conferences and go to a promotion/relegation format.

43 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I'd rather the conference move forward without Boise than to pay them a single cent more than what they are currently receiving. No team is irreplaceable.

Good luck in the AAC. We'll find a team, in a state that matters, with some growth potential and keep steppin'

Don't let the door hit you  on the ass on your way out.

Stay tuned. Boise State will soon tell SUDS exactly what it must do.