Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Why would SDSU bail when they see their NY6 chances go up with Boise bailing? Hawaii and AF wouldn’t make the move either. 

BYU joining a non P5 conference? Utes will laugh at them, so that’s not happening. 

Let me know of the last time SDSU had less that three loses in a season. That's not rhetorical. I have no idea when that would have been. It's an informational question, strictly.

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I don't think Boise's discontent just sprung up from something Thompson said a few days ago. Boise has appeared to be pretty upset with the MW for a few years now.  Harsin spoke right out about how the MW let them down by not marketing Boise football more predominately..

I hadn't thought of this until you mentioned it, but that makes a lot of sense. It does seem to be a culmination of events. Unfortunately, up until a couple months ago, Boise was incredibly content. The "feck 'em" bravado from this board aside... this was a reaction from Boise State created by the conference. And I hate it. I really don't want them to leave this conference.

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I hadn't thought of this until you mentioned it, but that makes a lot of sense. It does seem to be a culmination of events. Unfortunately, up until a couple months ago, Boise was incredibly content. The "feck 'em" bravado from this board aside... this was a reaction from Boise State created by the conference. And I hate it. I really don't want them to leave this conference.

I don’t think the Broncs leave. Making my prediction 

Related image

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Actually those terms were honored.  Boise wants new and better terms.

I love you, man. But that was not what was was said. Lawsuit aside, it was specifically said that those terms wouldn't be honored. Any lawsuit is going to reach for damages and usually settle.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

A commissioner should also know how to be diplomatic.  Craig Thompson ain't diplomatic in the least.

Honestly, this might be the biggest snafu that has ever come from a Commissioner. I don't follow conference commissioners to know who has been fired, but this is the first I've witnessed that warranted a real conversation. This was completely created by CT.   

9 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Lmao who the +++++ is that? 

According to his profile, he is a Cincinnati alum who hosts some program called the AAC Daily.  It's on iHeartRadio.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

So what? 

edit: I don’t care for adding Wichita State, because it didn’t make sense. I do fault Hair for bungling the Gonzaga deal though. That made a lot of sense and he should have gotten that deal done. 

It made sense. And remember at that time Hair said no because of no FB, Wichita started pimping their return to FB. They wanted to be in the MWC and Hair blew. 

kat.jpg

14 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I don’t think the Broncs leave. Making my prediction 

I don't either.  But if they do, check out this last blurb from the NBC affiliate in Boise.

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-sues-mountain-west-conference-over-tv-contract-school-bonuses/277-5e044358-8b75-4ac1-9243-5f9bf44c7be4

"You wonder if the games against UCF down the line are going to become conference games [in the AAC Conference]," sports analyst Tom Scott speculated. "In that case, it would be football-only. This is speculation, but Boise State's other sports would probably have to go to the Big West. I don't think there's any other option for them other than the Big West."

4 hours ago, Headbutt said:

All conference commissioners are just the mouthpiece for the presidents.  How come this mouthpiece screws it up so much?

Fact. This is, most definitely, his biggest screw up. Being poor at your job is one thing, but when you do things that are counter to your job description that is detrimental to your employers?  I really hope this works out for his sake. His words instigated something that didn't exist before them.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Not really, he’s just the mouthpiece for the Presidents and the guy that bears the brunt of the criticism. That’s his job. 

Was he acting in all of the conference presidents with his statements? He is a mouthpiece. He is a facilitator. Is there any possible way that he can justify being that for all involved with what he said with those statements?

3 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

One of the biggest issues is, Hair went on TV and said the with BSU contract/deal is most likely ending after this. Why even say that in public? He could have talked to BSU in private and discuss the issue first. Maybe try and work something out behind doors and not in the public. The whole thing was screwed.

... or not talk about it in 6 years when the deal is done. Why the FECK would you do it when your rival conference just lost a member and signed a more lucrative (monetary) TV deal? And BTW, that conference had already accepted them into their conference before. Brah, this is a horrible mistake by CT. Boise had no intention of exploring anything else until CT vomited up his anal cavity.  

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Remember his comments when Wichita State consideres joining the MWC?  "If they're looking for a place to park basketball, it ain't going to be us."  He might be doing what his bosses tell him to do, but he comes across as petty.  Could have handled that better.

Horrible mistake. Again, he's speaking for the leadership of this conference. His words are awful, but no one is holding him accountable, so he is speaking for the conference presidents. He is a message board scapegoat for bad leadership for their prospective schools.

Where is Boise going to go? It would have to go Indy, but there wouldn’t be a path to a NY6. and your schedule would get much tougher like BYU’s has, and as a G5 you’d have to go undefeated to ensure a NY6 if they were given a path.

The AAC would have to add a new western division of 6 schools and rename the current west div something else. So 3 divisions of 6 with 18. Best 2 division winners play in a championship game. 

But it wouldn’t work just to add Boise and another west school. Way too much travel, no rivalries, it would suck. 

So here we go again, which 6 would it be? 
1. Boise St.
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. UNLV
5. Fresno St. 
6. AF

or

1. Boise St. 
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. UNLV
5. CSU
6. AF

or

1. Boise St. 
2. SDSU
3. Nevada
4. Fresno St. 
5. CSU
6. AF

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

No one would expect them to do that. There's not one program who would begrudge Boise State for doing EXACTLY that. BUT. It appears that there was, post agreement, some sort of delayed buyers' remorse with Boise State, somewhere along the way, asking for MORE than what was stipulated in the agreement. And then the complaint gets filed with the implicit threat that Boise State might leave the MW. The problem Boise State has, there's probably plenty of school presidents who's reaction will be, "Leave and go where?" If the answer is, "The AAC," or, "Independence," I suspect a likely response will be, "Good luck out there."

The problem is that Boise never asked for "more." They were fine and signed off. It was after the fact that they were told that they weren't going to get what they were told that they asked for more than what was promised. They were forced to explore options. The strange thing about exploring options is that the worst that can happen for Boise is that they do nothing. The best that can happen for the MW is that Boise does nothing. None of this should have happened

3 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Getting back to my little financial exercise- beyond their $5.8M, how much is Boise State worth per school? If Fox/ CBS comes back with $1M less per school, that means Boise State is worth over $15M per year. Are you prepared to argue that? The sky is not falling, the plane is still flying...

Yes. Your math is monumentally flawed. I wouldn't even know were to start.

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

It would be:

Boise State, SDSU, Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, and Wyoming. Teams that not only win but actually puts fans in the stands.

Not a chance. And the dumbest reason I’ve ever heard to justify a list. We had 10,500 at our BB game last night. A few years or so back, we averaged 25,000 for FB. 

It’s pretty surprising to see how empty the upper sections have been for Boise FB games for quite a while. Boise is definitely overrated these days. When was the last time they went NY6? In the last 7 years, they’ve averaged more than 3 losses a season, with one season with 4 losses and one with 5. For a FB team that’s great, but not good enough to be treated extra special. Go back to the Moore days and Boise will be worth the extra dough. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Quite the contrary..I think the MW will soldier on.  I do think it will be on a smaller tv deal but there are still 11 schools that want to have a conference..

It is Boise who is pissed off enough to sue..The others want to get along.

Incorrect. Boise had no issue. The MW decided to change things.

... and yes, the MW will soldier on. Their best solution is status quo. The next best option is add a bottom level school.

After reading a bit of what was written in the Boise Statesman.  BSU can GTFO and go Indy or to AAC.  It has been said before, every conference has a member or few that are carrying its conference, and how many of then have uneven distribution of its top tier rights?

This is what keeps a 12-2 BSU team out of the NY6.  That extra cash that could be going to member institutions can help raise the profile of the conference.  Which in turn can benefit BSU long term. This uneven distribution model the past few years has held back the MWC. 

BSU is into itself so much so, the AD has lost it's way.  BSU chose to eat for a day rather than teach or help the conference members and eat for a lifetime.