Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

9 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Just heard that Boise has been in discussions with the big sky conference the last 24 hours regarding their non fb sports.  It’s probably just posturing still.

The only person on the internet reporting that is this guy. 

I find it hard to believe he would know and national media wouldn’t. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 hours ago, nocoolnamejim said:

If fairness and justice were the conditions for such things, then it probably shouldn't. This is where I point back to how that's not necessarily how contracts work. BSU had a lot of leverage when they were discussing reentry into the conference. What is "right" and "just" is not what matters on legal matters. It's only what the two parties agreed to.

From my admittedly limited understanding, it seems like BSU used their leverage back then and got a favorable contract. Not necessarily a "fair" contract, but a favorable one.

And now, Boise State has less leverage in an open-ended contract. Any good attorney will tell you how most open-ended contracts end.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

4 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I believe that Boise wants the Fox/CBS contract voided because they say the MW can't enter into any tv deal without Boise approval.  They do not approve and that is the basis of their potential lawsuit..There doesn't appear to be any compromise available..Either Boise gives its approval or the don't.  Either the MW excepts the voiding of the new deal or they don't.  I don't believe this marriage can be saved.

Unless one of the MW's cards is the one that says Boise State did approve the deal, whether tacitly or explicitly, then no longer wanted to approve it.

15 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Just heard that Boise has been in discussions with the big sky conference the last 24 hours regarding their non fb sports.  It’s probably just posturing still.

20334894-C1DF-4E3F-A88B-DC472C448229.jpeg.40f6171a3bc3395dd601786656db641a.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

You seriously believe a TV contract was approved and publicly announced without Bose State knowing the details or even despite them knowing the details? Seems like they would have acted far more immediately of the announcement.

I don’t think he’s saying nobody knew of the contract. I think somebody within the program got wind of Hairs comment about the deal and that Boise’s special deal is a sunset deal, will end after this contract. 

Somebody at Boise barked up a storm about the 1.8 incentive in perpetuity and they decided to file a complaint. Of course, ESPN execs could be meddling here as well. 

51 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The only person on the internet reporting that is this guy. 

Now we know Woosh's real name...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

48 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If this is true (I doubt it.) I hope to Hell we get in the WCC over the Big West or Big Sky. Maybe our new bed buddy BYU will help us out.

If the WCC was in play that would be a very interesting proposition. That being said, Boise isn't going anywhere. This screams of Boise showing the new presidents that they have leverage. Boise could very realistically increase their payout elsewhere while all the MW schools payout would decrease. It's a power play to remind everyone they still have leverage. It would be unfortunate if Boise didn't stay in the MW (besides any unrealistic P5 option) 

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

If BSU lands in the Big Sky for non-football sports there are gonna be some fun games played in the new ICCU Arena.

You would be thrilled.  Can't have two members from outside California now, can we? :rant:

Boise's tilts with Montana and Weber State would be exciting.

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

If the WCC was in play that would be a very interesting proposition. That being said, Boise isn't going anywhere. This screams of Boise showing the new presidents that they have leverage. Boise could very realistically increase their payout elsewhere while all the MW schools payout would decrease. It's a power play to remind everyone they still have leverage. It would be unfortunate if Boise didn't stay in the MW (besides any unrealistic P5 option) 

I don’t think it’s Boise showing the MW presidents they have leverage. This was all started by the MW presidents telling Boise that the conference is doing business differently in the future with everyone being treated as equal members. 

Q. Craig, I want to follow up on one thing quickly. You had mentioned before that this might be the last time you negotiate Boise State’s deal separately. I was wondering if you had any more insight into that.

CRAIG THOMPSON: That is the whole membership agreement was discussed in December with the board of directors, and as we move forward, that is the anticipation, that everybody’s membership agreements would get more germane and equal, if you will. But this will be the last Boise State separate negotiation for television rights.

Sounds like the MW wants to move in a different direction, up to Boise to stay or go. I don’t think the Presidents will be onboard with giving Boise a special deal in perpetuity. Just not going to happen. I don’t think there’s much wiggle room for Boise here. 

5 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I don’t think it’s Boise showing the MW presidents they have leverage. This was all started by the MW presidents telling Boise that the conference is doing business differently in the future with everyone being treated as equal members. 

Sounds like the MW wants to move in a different direction, up to Boise to stay or go. I don’t think the Presidents will be onboard with giving Boise a special deal in perpetuity. Just not going to happen. I don’t think there’s much wiggle room for Boise here. 

Then that's a very bad move and Boise called their bluff. The MW immediately backed down once Boise filed its lawsuit. Boise was incredibly content where they were, but if the MW wants to cut off its nose to spite its face, so be it. The MW loses its waning credibility if they lose Boise and there could easily be other schools that could be in play to leave if that were to happen. The MW is the one left with little options... not Boise State

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

Then that's a very bad move and Boise called their bluff. The MW immediately backed down once Boise filed its lawsuit. Boise was incredibly content where they were, but if the MW wants to cut off its nose to spite its face, so be it. The MW loses its waning credibility if they lose Boise and there could easily be other schools that could be in play to leave if that were to happen. The MW is the one left with little options... not Boise State

Nobody is following Boise out of the MW.  
The MW has plenty of options without Boise.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

If Boise's Oly sports end up in the Big Sky:

giphy-62.gif

Yeah, I'd be organizing the mob and handing out the torches and pitchforks (well, selling them at a nominal price) if Wyoming ever considered something like that. Fortunately we've been in the position of starting conferences, not asking to be admitted.

11 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

You need to step back from the plate of bullsh-t no one else is digging into.

Does Boise State Football add value to the MWC? Without a doubt. The thing people need to be realistic about is what that value is relative to EVERY program in the rest of the conference. If Boise State taking its ball and going.... wherever, is the threat they're trying to hold over the 11 other presidents' heads, you're probably going to get a pat on the back, a bag of cookies, and a carton of milk for the road.