Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That is why I excluded Nevada.  Fresno signed a "binding" pact with the WAC, and then tried to weasel out of paying the money.

They should have just made project members pay BSUs bonus out of their cut.  USU, Fresno, and Reno 

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Not BSU directly no. It was Thompson and the 5 AD's who was doing the Boise State negotiations seperate. Seems like Curt Apsey was told to STFU because they were done negotiating. So what I am saying is the plug was pulled during negotiations because the other teams would of got less if Boise was on ESPN and everyone else was on FOX and CBS. That's why he went on a "No comment!"  fit for a few days.

I don't understand how the other teams would have received less if Boise went to ESPN.  Boise would also have received less correct?  Boise's games are negotiated separately, but they don't get to keep any additional money is my understanding.  Just the $1.8 million.  So Boise would have been taking less money themselves as well.  

10 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't understand how the other teams would have received less if Boise went to ESPN.  Boise would also have received less correct?  Boise's games are negotiated separately, but they don't get to keep any additional money is my understanding.  Just the $1.8 million.  So Boise would have been taking less money themselves as well.  

That’s correct. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Simple. Boise is the most valuable brand amd without the Boise State brand CBS and FOX would not of been willing to dish out the payout the other teams received. ESPN has something similar set up with the AAC teams. If UCF, Memphis, USF, Houston, or Cincinnati left the contract was terminated and would be reworked. The other teams didn't matter. The AAC board loves bringing it up during debates.

Some teams are just worth more.

Ok.  But say Boise makes X per year at ESPN and the rest make X per year at CBSSN , then when you add that all together to distribute to all members minus Hawaii, then that would be lower for Boise as well.  They get their extra $1.8 million but they are potentially leaving money on the table as well.

Boise doesn't keep all of the money from their separately negotiated deal.

19 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Not BSU directly no. It was Thompson and the 5 AD's who was doing the Boise State negotiations seperate. Seems like Curt Apsey was told to STFU because they were done negotiating. So what I am saying is the plug was pulled during negotiations because the other teams would of got less if Boise was on ESPN and everyone else was on FOX and CBS. That's why he went on a "No comment!"  fit for a few days.

Of Course.  One reason ESPN created this term sheet was because they wanted to low ball Boise offers and have Boise carry their water for them.   It’s one reason why well run organizations never allow agreements that create conflict of interest between a sub-entity and the parent entity which this agreement obviously did.   

Just now, Ibanez said:

BSU would of got the extra $1.8 regardless of the network. BUT, we don't know what ESPN was willing to pay Boise or the MWC. We just know Boise isn't happy about the money and they definitely aren't happy about Hairs comments.

Boise gets the extra $1.8 and that's it.  Boise doesn't keep any extra money from ESPN.  That goes back to the conference to split equally among 11 members not counting Hawaii (unless that deal is more than their deal).

Just now, Ibanez said:

BSU would of got the extra $1.8 regardless of the network. BUT, we don't know what ESPN was willing to pay Boise or the MWC. We just know Boise isn't happy about the money and they definitely aren't happy about Hairs comments.

We obviously aren’t privy to what ESPN may have offered but I find it hard to believe that the conference would agree to a deal that pays less overall.  According to the complaint Boise isn’t happy that they aren’t getting more bonus money. At least that’s how I read it.  That’s in addition to Hair’s comments. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

40 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Again @Wyovanian you want to elaborate on your comment?  

Losing Boise would not be great but losing Boise, SDSU and AirForce would be a huge blow.   Do you not agree and don’t you hope our esteemed Presidents thought far enough ahead to forestall such an event before kicking off this shitstorm?   

Boise is unlikely to want to go alone.  They are going to pitch 1 or 2 other schools.   Speculation on the AAC board is already Boise/BYU and AF or SDSU.

How did things work out for SDSU and Boise the last time they left the MWC? 

13 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Simple. Boise is the most valuable brand amd without the Boise State brand CBS and FOX would not of been willing to dish out the payout the other teams received. ESPN has something similar set up with the AAC teams. If UCF, Memphis, USF, Houston, or Cincinnati left the contract was terminated and would be reworked. The other teams didn't matter. The AAC board loves bringing it up during debates.

Some teams are just worth more.

Boise also would’ve received less if the other teams received less.  

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Yeah I see what you're saying but we don't know the number ESPN was willing to give out. At first when the numbers leaked they were saying FOX was paying more to the MWC than CBS was. Then Thompson said when they actually announced the deal that the team distribution would not be commented on. So we don't know the actual numbers. Does not help the Wyoming AD said he guessed the Cowboys would make just over $3 million. Wyoming should be close to $3.8.

Bottom line is we need to see the actual payouts and what ESPN was willing to give the Boise State and Boise State with the MWC.

I think part of that is they have to see what Hawaii does in June.  I also think I remember Hair saying somewhere ESPN wanted to go longer than 6 years.  

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Exactly. The conference would not agree to it. But would Boise of got a better deal of they were still on ESPN? I thought Boise State was just getting $1.8 million extra for now on. But the newest report is saying Boise State wants to always double up. I don't think that is true. I think Boise State is upset because ESPN was going to pay Boise State more the they would of got off of FOX and CBS so Boise, not the other teams left money on the table by my being on ESPN. I think the other AD's basically overruled Curt for the betterment of the other teams. Which I am actually fine with. So Boise State didn't agree to it and the other AD's said too bad.

But that extra money would’ve gone to the conference, not Boise specifically. So Boise would’ve ended up with $1.8 plus whatever the conference tv revenue distribution. If ESPN offered more than Fox the MWC would’ve signed with ESPN

20 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That’s correct. 

Incorrect, ESPN wasn’t going to pay squat for the rest of the MWC - hence Hair pulling the FOX/CBS card and promising BSU more money. 

What the MWC doesn’t understand is that they’re better off splitting ESPN exposure money via BSU home games and enjoying a CBSSports contract for all others.