Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

10 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Stunner, we both know the power of the Dark side, considering our respective BSU/BYU fandom...

Bet you some delicious ice cream that if BSU doesn’t get what it wants, we’ll likely approach you guys seeking to enter the AAC or hop on the Indy train with you guys for a while...

I don’t think anyone can argue that a BSU/BYU unified front is much better for those schools than their individual efforts...

Boise won’t get anything over the $1.8 million.  And if the conference somehow rolls over and gives them more then every president and AD should be immediately fired. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Not rollover but deal with it or leave.

I think that is where we are at. Boise has interpreted their agreement to be a proportional cut rather than lump sum. The MWC disagrees and also feels it is time to put an expiration date on the deal. I am guessing that Boise has other offers which is why they are pushing hard. If they are voted out, maybe no exit fee?

The MWC chickens are coming home to roost from the horrible deal. The conference members are done with differential treatment. Likely they realize preferential treatment, financially, will result in the eventual undoing of the conference.

One way or another, this is the end of BSU as a member of the MWC. The larger question will be whether it is the undoing of the MWC itself. I think that is a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

This is pretty much the only thing I can envision RE the MW seeking to litigate against BSU's lawyers...

My understanding is the new rights deal has not been approved. How does BSU have standing?

51 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

So, they would be in a conference with  Idaho, Idaho St, Boise CC, Montana, Montana State, Montana Tech, Wyoming, and Wyoming Tech !

I wasn’t talking about schools or conferences, Einstein. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

ac9ca70b6d2d1ad8c8a4550513cd4cfcf402bfd1.jpg

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, Boise4Life said:

I do think that this marks the start of Boise State's eventual exit from the conference. We'll see where we end up. This kind of high stakes stuff makes me nervous.

nervous 30 rock GIF by HULU

I think the term sheet marked the eventual exit. I am guessing there was hope for a different outcome, but really this was the odds on favorite. I think there was hope it would morph into a pay for performance type scenario, but it does not seem that is the path.

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Boise won’t get anything over the $1.8 million.  And if the conference somehow rolls over and gives them more then every president and AD should be immediately fired. 

So I actually think Boise might have a case *if* the conversations with Thompson are true.  Granted, he doesn't really have all that power, but if he was being two faced and such he could (and should) be out as commish.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I think that is where we are at. Boise has interpreted their agreement to be a proportional cut rather than lump sum. The MWC disagrees and also feels it is time to put an expiration date on the deal. I am guessing that Boise has other offers which is why they are pushing hard. If they are voted out, maybe no exit fee?

The MWC chickens are coming home to roost from the horrible deal. The conference members are done with differential treatment. Likely they realize preferential treatment, financially, will result in the eventual undoing of the conference.

One way or another, this is the end of BSU as a member of the MWC. The larger question will be whether it is the undoing of the MWC itself. I think that is a possibility.

It wouldn’t undo the MW.  The MW is the only other FBS conference in the west.  Yeah the TV deal will take a hit but it will still be more than what everyone was getting in the current contract.

It be a back door way is drop the exit fee rather than going to court for a reduction as was the case with all of the 25 schools in the previous realignment.

The #1 issue is BSU has veto rights. We must approve any contracts. Dr. Tromp clearly voted no. We did not approve the contract.
Done deal.
That's the lawsuit.
Would we approve the contract? Only if we think we are being fairly compensated for our product.
That's all there is to this.

I don't believe anybody demanded a 3.5x increase.
I'm a homer. I think we are worth it. But I also recognize that it would PISS OFF everybody in the conference and that isn't good.

But Hair screwed the pooch.
He used BSU as the key negotiating point and now doesn't want to compensate us.

What do I really want to see come from this?
No, not more money.

FIRE THOMPSON!
Hey, win-win for everybody! :)

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

So I actually think Boise might have a case *if* the conversations with Thompson are true.  Granted, he doesn't really have all that power, but if he was being two faced and such he could (and should) be out as commish.

None of that would have anything to do with the court case. Thompson does not have any say over the approval of the rights deal.

9 minutes ago, Boise4Life said:

I do think that this marks the start of Boise State's eventual exit from the conference. We'll see where we end up. This kind of high stakes stuff makes me nervous.

nervous 30 rock GIF by HULU

Yup, once the lawsuit came into view I don't think the conference and its presidents vs Boise St are going to be at least seeing each other without a slight bit of bitterness. If Boise is jousting for that 3.5x increase in revenue I think the school presidents/ADs would say "bye". The conference will take a hit in revenue/stature, but the conference is still better than the rest of the G5 (CUSA, MAC and SB). Someone new will rise up

Boise likely will do some sort of Indy/AAC and Big West/WCC deal in the future.

Hopefully this means bye to Hair as his one statement in the tv deal announcement caused all this turmoil. Could have been a peaceful 5 years before negotiations arose again.

4 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

This thread will exceed any Fire Dave Rice threads since we have 6 years to get this resolved.

Not really.  Boise is saying that they didn't approve the new TV deal and didn't have enough specifics on it to vote.  The MW held back info.  This will need to be resolved before 6 years.  

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

It wouldn’t undo the MW.  The MW is the only other FBS conference in the west.  Yeah the TV deal will take a hit but it will still be more than what everyone was getting in the current contract.

It be a back door way is drop the exit fee rather than going to court for a reduction as was the case with all of the 25 schools in the previous realignment.

I am thinking either one or two conferences would rise up to take its place. I see it as BSU getting booted, contract gets nullified, bad blood and finger pointing on the Board, everyone is pissed at the new deal because it sucks sans-Boise, some schools think it would be better to partner on a smaller scale (maybe an east/west split) to minimize travel and maximize the contract individually.

I don't really think it is likely, but I think it is more likely without Boise in the MWC.

Guest #1Stunner
29 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Stunner, we both know the power of the Dark side, considering our respective BSU/BYU fandom...

Bet you some delicious ice cream that if BSU doesn’t get what it wants, we’ll likely approach you guys seeking to enter the AAC or hop on the Indy train with you guys for a while...

I don’t think anyone can argue that a BSU/BYU unified front is much better for those schools than their individual efforts...

A BYU - BOISE alliance seems almost inevitable.

I agree.

3 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Yup, once the lawsuit came into view I don't think the conference and its presidents vs Boise St are going to be at least seeing each other without a slight bit of bitterness. If Boise is jousting for that 3.5x increase in revenue I think the school presidents/ADs would say "bye"

Boise likely will do some sort of Indy/AAC and Big West/WCC deal in the future.

Hopefully this means bye to Hair as his one statement in the tv deal announcement caused all this turmoil. Could have been a peaceful 5 years before negotiations arose again.

I think it was inevitable on matter what Hair said.