Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wouldnt you think the Idaho Statesman would be reporting this by now?  Seems....curious.

20 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

On cue

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article239533543.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_475731

23 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Oh so it appears that Boise wanted more than the $1.8 million they were already getting. 

Well, in that case no.  You shouldn’t get any more than what was agreed upon at $1.8 million. 

Come on Mug it was right in the link to the Lawsuit you posted. The want their 1.8 plus half of any increase in the contract.

+++++ THEM in their blue turf asses.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Come on Mug it was right in the link to the Lawsuit you posted. The want their 1.8 plus half of any increase in the contract.

+++++ THEM in their blue turf asses.

I missed that part completely. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

42 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Maybe 6 years from now, but as of today they are getting their $1.8 million.  
Why are they suing for something 6 years in the future?  
If BSU wants to sue the MW, then I guess the next vote is to remove BSU from the conference.  Only need 9 members to do so.

"Only" needs 9 members to do so.  That's all but one other full member, as Hawaii doesn't have a vote.  There won't be a vote to kick Boise out and even if there was, I can't imagine Nevada and USU both supporting it.

4 minutes ago, 8BitPirate said:

So......how's that new mega awesome media deal going?

It's coming on your side soon enough, directional state school pirate.

"26. Under the proposed CBS/Fox agreement and the increased television rights revenue

resulting therefrom, and assuming the bonus structure remained the same, Boise State would

receive in excess of 55 million annually under the contract. Overall, the value of the proposed

CBS/Fox agreement to the MWC and all of its members was more than double that of the prior

CBS/ESPN agreement."

"29. Consistent with the Re-Entry Agreement as amended by the Re-Entry Agreement

Amendment, the spirit of that agreement, Boise State's importance to Fox and the increase in

revenue its football games generated for the MWC, Dr. Tromp notified Mr. Thompson during their

December 2019 meeting that not only did Boise State expect to retain the $1.8 million guaranteed

bonus set forth in the Re-Entry Agreement Amendment, but to also gain an additional,

proportionate share of the increased revenue from the new television deal with Fox"

What's the law on perpetual contracts out there?  Here, I've won arguments based on the notion that absent a termination provision, open-end contracts can be terminated upon reasonable notice by either party.  Anyone have a copy of the re-entry agreement?

and as others have said, I doubt the president had a binding vote on stopping paying the bonus after 6 years. The way it was phrased in the lawsuit ways they voted to continue paying it for 6 years then stop paying it. I imagine they voted to pay it for 6 years and spend the six years figuring out if they will ocntinue paying or find a solution.

So I don't know what the damages are. They are getting their 6 years of bonus but they want more. The league hasn't stopped paying yet.

44 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It’s enough to cause @sactowndog and @Lobo Amor to fall into convulsions. That $163,000 annually could save their athletic departments from bankruptcy.

Chump change, lol. 

36 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Oh so it appears that Boise wanted more than the $1.8 million they were already getting. 

Well, in that case no.  You shouldn’t get any more than what was agreed upon at $1.8 million. 

Yeah, that contract works both ways.. 

3 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

The Mountain West needs Boise State more than Boise State needs the Mountain West.  If BSU leaves, who's going to take west coast time slots on any network?  My bet is that the PAC12 will be the beneficiaries.  

In all honesty, SDSU doesn't get much from Boise.  We are perpetually on CBSSN, we aren't an annual game in football, and they don't move the needle in the other sports.  The difference without them would be maybe 300k/year per team.  Not that much for SDSU.  

The Mountain schools would probably not like it though.

8 minutes ago, aztech said:

If this goes to court and BSU wins, it's going to cost the MWC money.  The spineless presidents better make sure that'll be the end of Thompson and his tiresome shenanigans.

It'll cost more than money.  Lots of bad blood to go around amongst the presidents and chancellors.  

@SleepingGiantFan , your thoughts?  

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They can go +++++ themselves if they were looking for more than that.