Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsquaredCC

Boise State Has Filed Suit Against the MWC

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

This will never go to trial.  It’s pretty open a shut. As much as I think the uneven revenue sharing is stupid and unfair, it will continue until Boise decides they’re going to leave the conference. 

A renege, a threat, and a lawsuit.  This just sounds like a great relationship right here.  Boise is like a broke pimp who has just enough sway to keep his druggie chick around.

4 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I would be interested to see proof of this.  Perhaps they did, but it would seem strange that a binding contract is set, and a group of people would try to yay/nay it away in a whimsical manner.

I'm seen several BYU fans point out that this isn't that different than what they claimed a decade ago. Much of there issue is the conference, including all the schools, negotiated a deal for TV rights -- one that allowed schools to keep rights for games not picked up under the conference TV contract. When finalizing the deal, Hair changed that without informing anyone -- gave the TV partners exclusive rights, that even if a game would not be televised the school could not televise it, and did not include it to the summary of the deal he sent to schools. So it isn't that surprising that the Conference is trying to do this type of thing again, just that this time Boise has a valid written contract with the conference.

27 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Wow.  I didn’t realize the Conference voted to terminate the re-entry deal.  I’m pretty sure this is an open and shut case though for Boise and they will continue to receive the extra $1.8 million they get. 

All this is over a paltry $1.8 mill?

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I would be interested to see proof of this.  Perhaps they did, but it would seem strange that a binding contract is set, and a group of people would try to yay/nay it away in a whimsical manner.

Maybe 6 years from now, but as of today they are getting their $1.8 million.  
Why are they suing for something 6 years in the future?  
If BSU wants to sue the MW, then I guess the next vote is to remove BSU from the conference.  Only need 9 members to do so.

"Although the MWC is still paying the $1.8 million bonus explicitly required by this contract, it inexplicably and improperly elected to cease such payments in six years. "
Actually Boise, it's very explicable why the MW AD's would want to cease such payments.  :banhammer:  Also, as it relates to the lack of a termination date which this entire suit hinges upon I'm reminded of this: 
"There is no evidence of aliens, and therefore, aliens do not exist". Not sure that argument is as convincing to a court of law as it is to regular joes.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

4 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Maybe 6 years from now, but as of today they are getting their $1.8 million.  
Why are they suing for something 6 years in the future?  
If BSU wants to sue the MW, then I guess the next vote is to remove BSU from the conference.  Only need 9 members to do so.

Whats the word they use in the legal realm, ripeness? I don't think a court would find this lawsuit "ripe" which could mean it's dismissed with prejudice.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

So if Boise is ready to burn bridges and doesn't have an appealing landing spot, maybe it's time revisit conference realignment? My dream for the best of the rest....the conference could still be really strong bumping to 14 or 16 (UNM..UNR..ECU...).travel is viable for the olys and some traditional rivalries get to survive...

(West)

Boise

BYU

CSU

SDSU

UNLV

Air Force 

(East)

UCF

USF

Houston

Memphis

Cincinnati

SMU

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

All this is over a paltry $1.8 mill?

It’s enough to cause @sactowndog and @Lobo Amor to fall into convulsions. That $163,000 annually could save their athletic departments from bankruptcy.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

53 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I checked Pacer and didn’t see anything filed at the federal level 

Thanks for doing that. I was about to search for it, but PACER appears to be down right now.

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

The worst part about all of this is that now people are going to post their shitty realignment scenarios more than they already do.  

Paging @FresnoFanatic

Wouldnt you think the Idaho Statesman would be reporting this by now?  Seems....curious.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Lobo Amor said:

180K helps but I'm talking about the  1.8 mil annually or 18 mil extra these last 10 years. So get yout facts straight.

It’s actually 163k. But JFC, it’s small change and your school should be able to mitigate that amount annually from boosters and sponsorships. 

Oh so it appears that Boise wanted more than the $1.8 million they were already getting. 

Well, in that case no.  You shouldn’t get any more than what was agreed upon at $1.8 million. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

Oh so it appears that Boise wanted more than the $1.8 million they were already getting. 

Well, in that case no.  You shouldn’t get any more than what was agreed upon at $1.8 million. 

This is starting to look like some "he say, she say".  I'ma wait until there is some evidence here.