Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

Tuesday Night MWC MBB Games

Hmmm, #4 SDSU did play last night, right?  They beat Wyoming... but no thread on the game? I can understand no thread for the SJSU/UNM game (which the lobos won convincingly), or USU/AFA. but nothing for #4?

Are fans of MW teams, just not all that interested in the games, or don’t follow games... has me thinking my MW forum page, isn’t refreshing with the latest posts?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I watched portions of all three games.  None were very interesting.

UNM started fast, let Sparty creep back in, then finished the half well before absolutely crushing them in the second half. Aggies pulled away late in the first half and absolutely suffocated the Falcons in the second half.  If you watched either game you would have a hard time believing that the outcomes were reversed just a few weeks ago.  Home court obviously means something and it sure highlights how hard it is to win on the road.

Aztecs went up double digits early and were in cruise control. They’re good. WYO isn’t. But I will say that WYO looked a lot better than Sparty, whole were absolutely dreadful last night.

SDSU and USU did what they needed to do. 

Even though it was against SJSU, New Mexico looked much better last night: active on defense, team-oriented on offense, good energy, and good crowd.  

4 minutes ago, nielsbohr said:

SDSU and USU did what they needed to do. 

Even though it was against SJSU, New Mexico looked much better last night: active on defense, team-oriented on offense, good energy, and good crowd.  

Got to agree with you on those points. I was at the game, and I heard several people quipping about who that team was out on the floor! "They're playing defense, so strange"! Was actually a fun game to watch. Gone was the ball hogging, the endless dribbling, the jawing/whining at the refs. It really was a great team effort last night. And Weir made the coaching moves some people feel he's lacking. He knew he had to slow the game down, and he did. Guards walking the ball upcourt, and looking to pass the ball, instead of going all playground on the floor... refreshing!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

55 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’ll be surprised if SDSU gets through its next two road games at UNLV and UNM without a loss. Both teams have the players and are very capable of pinning a loss on the Aztecs. 

UNLV could win but given the state of New Mexico’s team, even if Lyle gets fully healthy they don’t worry me. Honestly Nevada road game worries me the most of remaining games, Utah State at home too cause if they are on A game still have high ceiling. 

11 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

San Diego state did not play well at all last night, but I’d say the interest in a game against probably the worst team in the MWC having no interest makes sense. SDSU @ UNLV is much more interesting 

I thought they played fine.  Wyo D packed it in, so there was not as much in and outs or drives, but the offense was effective.  Henricks (sp?) got some good shots up, but that was about it for Wyo.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I’ll be surprised if SDSU gets through its next two road games at UNLV and UNM without a loss. Both teams have the players and are very capable of pinning a loss on the Aztecs. 

I’ll be surprised if UNLV and UNM get through its next games with SDSU without a loss. Both teams have the players but are very capable of losing to the Aztecs. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Really looking forward to these games. Have a great deal of respect for what Rebel and Lobos programs are capable of.  @UNLV will be for first place in conference, and the house should be rockin' there in Vegas. These are the kinds of games the conference needs more of. The undefeated streak will certainly be challenged and may be put to an end, but I'd still rather good games in tough venues like these two should be.  There are more tough conference games to come after these two. Looking forward to all of them. 

55 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Hmmm, #4 SDSU did play last night, right?  They beat Wyoming... but no thread on the game? I can understand no thread for the SJSU/UNM game (which the lobos won convincingly), or USU/AFA. but nothing for #4?

Are fans of MW teams, just not all that interested in the games, or don’t follow games... has me thinking my MW forum page, isn’t refreshing with the latest posts?

I was at the game and didn't get home until late.  We played well but IMO, our guys are wearing down a little.  The extra day or 2 between last night and a Sunday game in Vegas will be helpful.

Edward's sideline histrionics were embarrassing.  He looked like a coach whose team has stopped listening.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I was at the game and didn't get home until late.  We played well but IMO, our guys are wearing down a little.  The extra day or 2 between last night and a Sunday game in Vegas will be helpful.

Edward's sideline histrionics were embarrassing.  He looked like a coach whose team has stopped listening.

I was at the UNM/UNLV game. Their fans are reinvigorated. They had their largest crowd of the season against us, and once they saw we were in trouble, they poured on the heat!

As much as i hated seeing that ass whoopin, i was nice to see a large vegas crowd come alive, almost like crowds in the past, when the rebels and lobos did battle for the top of the conference.

UNLV will be expecting a much bigger crowd for the soon to be visiting aztecs, looking forward to seeing some of that game, should be a great crowd, and the Mack will be alive for it!

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I thought they played fine.  Wyo D packed it in, so there was not as much in and outs or drives, but the offense was effective.  Henricks (sp?) got some good shots up, but that was about it for Wyo.

That’s fair, the low pace (58 possessions is crazy) made the game seem not as lopsided as it actually was

17 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

That’s fair, the low pace (58 possessions is crazy) made the game seem not as lopsided as it actually was

Aztecs were up 20 late. That spread in 58 possessions is huge. Allowing Wyoming 55 points in 58 possessions makes that game the worst defensive game (adjusted) for the Aztecs this season, by far.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, SDSUfan said:

Quoting myself because I'm awesome..

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2020-01-24/aztecs-malachi-flynn-food-poisoning-aguek-arop-injury

But the junior guard’s most impressive game of the season, maybe of his career, might have come Tuesday night, when he had 18 points, five rebounds, five assists and four steals against Wyoming.

Try doing that after getting food poisoning, throwing up all night and needing two bags of intravenous fluids just to stay upright.

“Ate some bad Mexican food,” Flynn said, shaking his head. “Got a bad burrito.”

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke