Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Nevada

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“It almost always does pay to cheat in college sports. Wins matter more than integrity. This isn’t exactly a revelation. As Jerry Tarkanian used to say, “Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place.”

Connect the dots. Like I said, two seconds to google. There’s a reason that Vegas’ admin fired him. And when the cheating stopped so did the winning. 

Yup, you got nothing. 

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Yup, you got nothing. 

I got nothing? Does your internet not work? There are dozens of articles on the bizarre situation that was Vegas basketball during the Tark era.

”Eventually, the NCAA came to investigate (though Long Beach State boosters and Tarkanian himself would contend big programs such as UCLA got a pass on NCAA scrutiny). 

“In brief, I fired him,” Horn recalled in the oral history. “He had wanted to stay. Las Vegas had been wooing him. … I said, ‘Jerry, you’re not staying here. The violations that we have found show clearly that you violated the NCAA rules and I’m not going to have a member of the coaching staff that does that.’ 

“And he looked at me with those innocent eyes. I’ll never forget this, he said, ‘Dr. Horn, I haven’t violated any NCAA rules.’ He even blinked his eyes innocently. I said, ‘No way.’ ”

There are some downright interesting stories on Tark. 

“Lloyd Daniels attended five high schools in three states, never graduated, never earned an equivalency diploma, and entered Mount San Antonio Junior College in Walnut, Calif., this past semester with a reported third-grade reading level. Furthering his prep legacy was this statement: "I ain't allergic to no school. I just don't want to go."

This time next year the same Lloyd Daniels may be enrolled at the University of Nevada Las Vegas and eligible to play basketball for the Runnin' Rebels.”

20 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I got nothing? Does your internet not work? There are dozens of articles on the bizarre situation that was Vegas basketball during the Tark era.

”Eventually, the NCAA came to investigate (though Long Beach State boosters and Tarkanian himself would contend big programs such as UCLA got a pass on NCAA scrutiny). 

“In brief, I fired him,” Horn recalled in the oral history. “He had wanted to stay. Las Vegas had been wooing him. … I said, ‘Jerry, you’re not staying here. The violations that we have found show clearly that you violated the NCAA rules and I’m not going to have a member of the coaching staff that does that.’ 

“And he looked at me with those innocent eyes. I’ll never forget this, he said, ‘Dr. Horn, I haven’t violated any NCAA rules.’ He even blinked his eyes innocently. I said, ‘No way.’ ”

There are some downright interesting stories on Tark. 

And when Tark held the NCAA’s feet to the fire and gave them the opportunity to prove their case in court, they decided to pony up $2.5M instead. You don’t cough up that kind of money to a single plaintiff unless you messed up. And the NCAA knew they did.

And one of my favorites:

“So let's start with 1985 and a recruit named Clifford Allen, 6-foot-10 out of Carson, Calif. Everyone wanted him, at least until he was busted for robbery his senior year and sent to the El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility.

Then it was pretty much just UNLV recruiting Clifford Allen.

Tarkanian was undeterred by the imprisonment. He was the king of second chances; in part because growing up in Pasadena, without a father, as the son of an immigrant with a strange name, as a smart, but disinterested student, he himself needed a few. He saw the possibilities in anyone. Plus Allen could really play. He saw those possibilities, too.

So he went to the correctional facility and talked to Clifford on the phone through the glass. It was just like the movies. It worked. Allen earned a GED behind bars and was headed to play for the Rebels upon his release.

That you've likely never heard of Clifford Allen, that he never scored a point in college basketball, let alone the NBA, and the fact he was later sentenced to 45-to-life for murder in Florida, would normally be the climax of the story.”

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

And one of my favorites:

“So let's start with 1985 and a recruit named Clifford Allen, 6-foot-10 out of Carson, Calif. Everyone wanted him, at least until he was busted for robbery his senior year and sent to the El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility.

Then it was pretty much just UNLV recruiting Clifford Allen.

Tarkanian was undeterred by the imprisonment. He was the king of second chances; in part because growing up in Pasadena, without a father, as the son of an immigrant with a strange name, as a smart, but disinterested student, he himself needed a few. He saw the possibilities in anyone. Plus Allen could really play. He saw those possibilities, too.

So he went to the correctional facility and talked to Clifford on the phone through the glass. It was just like the movies. It worked. Allen earned a GED behind bars and was headed to play for the Rebels upon his release.

That you've likely never heard of Clifford Allen, that he never scored a point in college basketball, let alone the NBA, and the fact he was later sentenced to 45-to-life for murder in Florida, would normally be the climax of the story.”

I’m not seeing where he broke any rules here. Recruited a kid with a checkered past? Sure. But he didn’t break any rules. Even if the guy goes on to be a criminal. I’d wager just about every major school in the country has a student athlete with a felony arrest/conviction.

Just now, HoosierRebel said:

And when Tark held the NCAA’s feet to the fire and gave them the opportunity to prove their case in court, they decided to pony up $2.5M instead. You don’t cough up that kind of money to a single plaintiff unless you messed up. And the NCAA knew they did.

I think after reading these stories I agree some of what the NCAA did was wrong. I also learned a ton about Tark and Vegas.

I also think that Tark cheated, bent rules and cut corners to get kids into Vegas that would have ZERO chance of getting into school now. 

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

Looking forward to tomorrow: 

3mtnyg.jpg

You’re*

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I think after reading these stories I agree some of what the NCAA did was wrong. I also learned a ton about Tark and Vegas.

I also think that Tark cheated, bent rules and cut corners to get kids into Vegas that would have ZERO chance of getting into school now. 

I would wager close to 1/4 of the student athletes in the revenue producing sports (football and basketball) have no business being on a college campus. It would boggle your mind how much help these guys get and still barely scrape by.

Just now, HoosierRebel said:

I’m not seeing where he broke any rules here. Recruited a kid with a checkered past? Sure. But he didn’t break any rules. Even if the guy goes on to be a criminal. I’d wager just about every major school in the country has a student athlete with a felony arrest/conviction.

Great point. I’m just picking my favorite Tark stories. And while I think there is some validity to what you’re saying, the crux of all the articles is this: Tark was a good man. But he took kids that couldn’t get into other programs to win. Good reading. 

1 hour ago, brillio said:

I think he’s facepalming your use of the wrong “you’re”

CCSD education.. 

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You’re*

Shit, beat me to it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Great point. I’m just picking my favorite Tark stories. And while I think there is some validity to what you’re saying, the crux of all the articles is this: Tark was a good man. But he took kids that couldn’t get into other programs to win. Good reading. 

Tark was definitely willing to overlook warts if the kid could play. I’m sure part of that had to do with the fact that the kid could be an asset to the team, but another part was that he genuinely wanted to help these kids out and saw basketball as a lifeline. Even if his players didn’t play professionally, he knew they could at least get a gig as a college assistant or high school coach. For a lot of kids from the inner city this was much more than they had without basketball.

I talked with Tark a few times after he retired and the thing I was most impressed with was how obvious it was he cared for his players. He really wanted them to succeed in life. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Tark was definitely willing to overlook warts if the kid could play. I’m sure part of that had to do with the fact that the kid could be an asset to the team, but another part was that he genuinely wanted to help these kids out and saw basketball as a lifeline. Even if his players didn’t play professionally, he knew they could at least get a gig as a college assistant or high school coach. For a lot of kids from the inner city this was much more than they had without basketball.

I talked with Tark a few times after he retired and the thing I was most impressed with was how obvious it was he cared for his players. He really wanted them to succeed in life. 

I think if Tark wanted to help these kids he would have graduated a decent percentage. I’m not saying it’s all on Tark but his graduation rate was abominable.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Tark was loved in the black community. He gave a lot of kids a chance that no one else would. I know at one time he had a kid living with he and his wife that was homeless. 

So the only "dirt" @NevadaFan can really come up with Tark is that he gave a lot of disenfranchised, underprivileged black youths TOO MANY opportunities and second chances to turn away from drugs and crime and get their life together to be successful...lol. Tark was a f*cking civil rights hero. It's a shame anyone would believe an institution as corrupt as the NCAA side of the story. 

You know even after Lloyd Daniels got busted for crack and basically helped ruin Tark's career, Tark still acted like a father to him and they remained close until the day he died. Lloyd Daniels has 3 kids and is a AAU coach now. The reason why Tark's players were so close to him and would run through walls for him on the court, and weeped like babies at his funeral was because many of them like Chris Herren acknowledge they would be in jail or dead if it wasn't for him. 

For anyone that hasn't checked out the HBO Documentary that gives the whole story, it's superb:

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Why even bother with a troll. For all of the talk over the past 3 decades about how UNLV fans can't move beyond Tark it seems even more so that fans of other programs that were dominated by UNLV for almost 2 decades have an even bigger problem getting over it.  

12 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“It almost always does pay to cheat in college sports. Wins matter more than integrity. This isn’t exactly a revelation. As Jerry Tarkanian used to say, “Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place.”

Connect the dots. Like I said, two seconds to google. There’s a reason that Vegas’ admin fired him. And when the cheating stopped so did the winning. 

I don’t think tark said the bolded part of you’re quote. That’s was the author of the article you cut and paste from. 
And as for the 9 out of 10 quote, if you took that literally, you probably took this tark quote literally 

”elevation doesn’t matter, we play indoors”

8 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

And Tark cheated. Both things can be true.

7 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

So the only "dirt" @NevadaFan can really come up with Tark is that he gave a lot of disenfranchised, underprivileged black youths TOO MANY opportunities and second chances to turn away from drugs and crime and get their life together to be successful...lol. Tark was a f*cking civil rights hero. It's a shame anyone would believe an institution as corrupt as the NCAA side of the story. 

You know even after Lloyd Daniels got busted for crack and basically helped ruin Tark's career, Tark still acted like a father to him and they remained close until the day he died. Lloyd Daniels has 3 kids and is a AAU coach now. The reason why Tark's players were so close to him and would run through walls for him on the court, and weeped like babies at his funeral was because many of them like Chris Herren acknowledge they would be in jail or dead if it wasn't for him. 

For anyone that hasn't checked out the HBO Documentary that gives the whole story, it's superb:

This is true. It also true that these kids also just happened to be some of the best basketball players in the country. To help him win basketball games and in turn, generate a lot of money for a lot of people including himself.