Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

MWC Baseball

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

College baseball is interesting because the really good high school players go directly to pro baseball unlike football and basketball. So, basically the colleges are looking for the best players left that want to get a college degree. And I suspect that’s not easy. 

That and Jucos are a viable option for getting noticed. You don't have to go to a traditional university.

Man I wish we had baseball back in Fort Collins. 

4 hours ago, colosjr said:

That and Jucos are a viable option for getting noticed. You don't have to go to a traditional university.

The main reason really good players go the juco route instead of d1 is because they can be drafted any year. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

4 hours ago, colosjr said:

Did your baseball program get the axe because of Title IX?

4 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

It seems like vandy generally get the top HS guys that don’t want to go pro

Vandy got a big ole endowment that covers the scholarship shortfalls.  And because its need based and is accessible by regular students, its perfectly legal NCAA-wise.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, crixus said:

Did your baseball program get the axe because of Title IX?

That's what I've heard. I'm sure some other Ram fan might be able to give details if there are any, but Title IX is the reason I've always heard. Killed wrestling too which is a bummer. 

8 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

There are a lot of kids that get drafted and go to college trying to improve draft position. 

Yup.  They're either picked in the later rounds out of hs, or not at all - so playing in college helps them more financially down the road.

Stephen Strasburg wasn't drafted in high school.  Three years at SDSU later, he was the #1 overall pick in 2009. The 2019 World Series MVP. 

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Vandy got a big ole endowment that covers the scholarship shortfalls.  And because its need based and is accessible by regular students, its perfectly legal NCAA-wise.

See Stanford too. I will say this, if you get offered there you can’t have a C on your transcripts and you have to complete a number of AP classes including advanced sciences and math. 

5 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

The main reason really good players go the juco route instead of d1 is because they can be drafted any year. 

That and if you’re a righty throwing high 80s you’re a dime a dozen. Baseball is pay for play. It’s a business at the JUCO level.

Boise had two recruits get drafted.

Reed Harrington, a graduate of Eagle High School that spent two years at Spokane Community College, was selected in the 20th round by the Boston Red Sox. He plans to skip Boise State and sign with the Red Sox after they offered him a signing bonus of $125,000.

Torin Montgomery, a first baseman from Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, Washington, was selected in the 35th round by the Miami Marlins, but plans to honor his commitment to Boise State. Per MLB rules he’ll have a chance to re-enter the draft three years from now in 2022.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:38 AM, soupslam1 said:

Hey thanks. It looks like there is a lot of parity in the league at least over the past five years. Idaho has a lot more good high school baseball players relative to football and basketball. Lewis and Clark State and C of I have gotten most of them and been nationally ranked in their divisions. Some have gone to Oregon State who have been a national power. Hopefully we’ll get some of the better ones at Boise State in the future. The new head baseball coach has a lot of experience. 

I’m looking forward to getting out and attend some games although the weather is iffy in the spring. There may be some snow outs. Lol

I'm only gunna do this once, as it is a very common mistake, but it feels that now that we have baseball we should know the in-state teams. "Lewis and Clark" is in Portland and not good at baseball. "Lewis-Clark" State is the one in Lewiston that is one of the better dynasties in any sport at any level (NAIA). 

Btw, they recruit nationally and don't take many in-state kids. 

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I'm only do this once, as it is a very common mistake, but it feels that now that we have baseball we should know the in-state teams. "Lewis and Clark" is in Portland and not good at baseball. "Lewis-Clark" State is the one in Lewiston that is one of the better dynasties in any sport at any level (NAIA). 

Had a friend from high school play at LCSU and thought he was hot shit. He's a bar tender at the knitting factory now. At 45+. Baseball guys...

3 minutes ago, baileyake said:

Had a friend from high school play at LCSU and thought he was hot shit. He's a bar tender at the knitting factory now. At 45+. Baseball guys...

It's LCSC, but yeah, baseball players at every school are a different breed. 

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

"Lewis and Clark" is in Portland and not good at baseball. "Lewis-Clark" State is the one in Lewiston that is one of the better dynasties in any sport at any level (NAIA). 

So right across the Snake River from Lewiston is Clarkston, WA. I just now realized those are both elongated forms of Lewis and Clark. Wow.

12 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

baseball > wrestling

Boise Police Department is getting inundated with citizen calls... reports of strange noises, emanating from the BSU campus... BPD says callers can’t quite identify what the sounds are, but are at least certain they don’t sound like gun fire... thank goodness!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'm only gunna do this once, as it is a very common mistake, but it feels that now that we have baseball we should know the in-state teams. "Lewis and Clark" is in Portland and not good at baseball. "Lewis-Clark" State is the one in Lewiston that is one of the better dynasties in any sport at any level (NAIA). 

They can take kids who flunk out of school. They can take kids who get kicked out of school. NAIA is the wild-wild west. There’s an NAIA program that just opened in Sacramento-Roseville called William Jessup. There’s another in Phoenix-area that’s new.  It’s a branch campus of Emery-Riddle. Like I said, baseball is pay for play. These programs wildly over recruit and then cut or redshirt. Especially at the low-JUCO level. Travel ball has spawned a huge market for colleges to exploit. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

They can take kids who flunk out of school. They can take kids who get kicked out of school. NAIA is the wild-wild west. There’s an NAIA program that just opened in Sacramento-Roseville called William Jessup. There’s another in Phoenix-area that’s new.  It’s a branch campus of Emery-Riddle. Like I said, baseball is pay for play. These programs wildly over recruit and then cut or redshirt. Especially at the low-JUCO level. Travel ball has spawned a huge market for colleges to exploit. 

I believe they can have ex-pros too. I know other sports at the NAIA level can