Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

MWC Baseball

Boise State is playing their first baseball game in decades in another month. We open with a three game series at Texas. We are going to be playing in the local minor league stadium for a couple of years until an on campus stadium is built. 

I’m sure we will get our butts kicked for awhile in the MWC. So MWC baseball fans, tell me who has dominated the league in baseball. How does the league stack up nationally? I do know Fresno State won the NC not that long ago. Do all MWC schools have baseball teams? Who are the usual front runners? Who has the best and worst fans? 

@soupslam1 I was going to start a thread about Boise State baseball last week, and then I thought I'd wait until early February. Oh well, since you have one going now I look forward to the Broncos playing MW baseball. Having an 8th team will cut back on the glut of OOC games which is a good thing. The more MW games, the better. The MW schools that don't have baseball programs are Utah State, Colorado State and Wyoming. Here's last season's (and prior years) standings which will answer your dominated the conference and front runner questions. https://themw.com/standings.aspx?path=baseball

16 minutes ago, crixus said:

@soupslam1 I was going to start a thread about Boise State baseball last week, and then I thought I'd wait until early February. Oh well, since you have one going now I look forward to the Broncos playing MW baseball. Having an 8th team will cut back on the glut of OOC games which is a good thing. The more MW games, the better. The MW schools that don't have baseball programs are Utah State, Colorado State and Wyoming. Here's last season's (and prior years) standings which will answer your dominated the conference and front runner questions. https://themw.com/standings.aspx?path=baseball

Hey thanks. It looks like there is a lot of parity in the league at least over the past five years. Idaho has a lot more good high school baseball players relative to football and basketball. Lewis and Clark State and C of I have gotten most of them and been nationally ranked in their divisions. Some have gone to Oregon State who have been a national power. Hopefully we’ll get some of the better ones at Boise State in the future. The new head baseball coach has a lot of experience. 

I’m looking forward to getting out and attend some games although the weather is iffy in the spring. There may be some snow outs. Lol

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Hey thanks. It looks like there is a lot of parity in the league at least over the past five years. Idaho has a lot more good high school baseball players relative to football and basketball. Lewis and Clark State and C of I have gotten most of them and been nationally ranked in their divisions. Some have gone to Oregon State who have been a national power. Hopefully we’ll get some of the better ones at Boise State in the future. The new head baseball coach has a lot of experience. 

I’m looking forward to getting out and attend some games although the weather is iffy in the spring. There may be some snow outs. Lol

You're welcome. I noticed that your first home game is February 28th against Northern Colorado (you gotta' make the home opener). Also, the MW conference championship is May 21-24 at San Diego State.

Mountain West Conference Baseball Logo.png

Fresno State baseball is about as Jekyll and Hyde as you can get. We never know which Bulldog team is going to show up. We won the conference and made it to regionals last year, but the year prior we didn't even qualify for the MWC tournament. We open the season with 12 home games and our first series is against UC Irvine who finished 2nd in the Big West last year. Fans have been calling for Coach Batesol's head for quite some time, but he does just enough every year to get an extension.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

45 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Being the only D1 program in the state will pay off in the future. 

College Baseball Pre-Season Top 25 Rankings. Sorry folks, no Mountain West teams made the list. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/college-baseball-top-25/

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Dallas Baptist at #23 beats out all MWC teams? 

Pretty stout program.   Fairly regular tourney participant these days, with a nice and fairly new ballpark.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Great program. It’s been good for a long time. 

I take your word for it. I haven’t followed college baseball. I suppose if you get several good pitchers with an average hitting team you can beat just about anyone. 

Im interested to go watch some games. I’ve been to a number of the minor league games in Boise and it’s pretty easy to see which players have major league potential. I suspect the really good players in college are also easy to spot just like football and basketball. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I take your word for it. I haven’t followed college baseball. I suppose if you get several good pitchers you can beat just about anyone. 

It boils down to pitching but getting pitching with limited scholarship $$ is the key. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

It boils down to pitching but getting pitching with limited scholarship $$ is the key. 

College baseball is interesting because the really good high school players go directly to pro baseball unlike football and basketball. So, basically the colleges are looking for the best players left that want to get a college degree. And I suspect that’s not easy. 

5 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I know a lot of players are on partial scholarships. Do the rich P5 schools field teams that are all on scholarship or are there rules about how many scholarships can be given out? 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I know a lot of players are on partial scholarships. Do the rich P5 schools field teams that are all on scholarship or are there rules about how many scholarships can be given out? 

11.7 scholarships, split a lot of ways.  The state schools in general have the advantage because the money goes farther.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Boise State has 15 pitchers and 15 fielders listed on the roster (with one utility dude).

No clue on what the pitching rotation is going to be, but these dudes look like they'll be in the mix.

R-Sr Jordan Britton - Originally from Caldwell, the Grad Transfer from Oregon State has a natty ring.  Didn't see a lot of action there, but still was good enough to be on the team. 3 starts each of the previous 3 seasons.

R-Jr Daniel Ferrario - JUCO Transfer from Linn-Benton CC.  2.66 ERA in 11 appearances as a sophomore. First-team All-League

R-Jr Dawson Day - JUCO Transfer from Mt Hood CC. 3.15 ERA in 13 starts. (Also played OF with .358 batting average).

Jr. Mitch Lines - JUCO Transfer from Lower Basin CC.  2.12 ERA in 12 games. First-team All-Region.

R-So Gavin Gorell -  Transfer from Northern Colorado.

R-So. Travis Weston - JUCO Transfer from Ventura College went 8-3 (redshirted at SDSU year prior).

Am glad BSU is  in the game now! Nevada hosted the MWC tournament last spring and it was fun. Lots of good baseball talk with rival fans. I see BSU does not play at Reno this year, but the Pack will go up there for 3. Nevada just got a cool new scoreboard for Peccole Park. Donated by the local Dodge car/ truck dealer who recently retired.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

Boise Schedule:

FEBRUARY

at Texas (x3)

vs. Northern Colorado (x4)

MARCH

vs. Seattle U (x4)

vs. Niagara (x3)

at Utah Valley (x4)

vs. Portland (x2)

at UC Davis (x3)

at Santa Clara (1)

at Creighton (x3)

vs. BYU

vs. Utah

APRIL

at AFA (x3)

at SDSU (x3)

at BYU (x1)

at Utah (x1)

at Fresno (x3)

at WSU (x2)

vs. Nevada (x3)

MAY

at New Mexico (x3)

at San Jose (x3)

vs. Gonzaga (x2)

vs. UNLV (x3)

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

College baseball is interesting because the really good high school players go directly to pro baseball unlike football and basketball. So, basically the colleges are looking for the best players left that want to get a college degree. And I suspect that’s not easy. 

There are a lot of kids that get drafted and go to college trying to improve draft position. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise State has 15 pitchers and 15 fielders listed on the roster (with one utility dude).

No clue on what the pitching rotation is going to be, but these dudes look like they'll be in the mix.

R-Sr Jordan Britton - Originally from Caldwell, the Grad Transfer from Oregon State has a natty ring.  Didn't see a lot of action there, but still was good enough to be on the team. 3 starts each of the previous 3 seasons.

R-Jr Daniel Ferrario - JUCO Transfer from Linn-Benton CC.  2.66 ERA in 11 appearances as a sophomore. First-team All-League

R-Jr Dawson Day - JUCO Transfer from Mt Hood CC. 3.15 ERA in 13 starts. (Also played OF with .358 batting average).

Jr. Mitch Lines - JUCO Transfer from Lower Basin CC.  2.12 ERA in 12 games. First-team All-Region.

R-So Gavin Gorell -  Transfer from Northern Colorado.

R-So. Travis Weston - JUCO Transfer from Ventura College went 8-3 (redshirted at SDSU year prior).

Boise has a couple of Reno-area kids on its team. One of them I know pretty well. I was in Boise during the summer the last few years watching American Legion tourneys as my kids are in the middle/end of their HS careers. Great sport.