Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Mensah Condition

I heard this on the Boise State-USU TV broadcast so don’t know if it is true. One of the announcers said he had a blood clot in the lungs. If so, that sounds pretty serious although treatable with anti coagulants and blood thinners. Any one else hear the same? 

The announcers also said what we all have been saying, they need him to go far in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I heard this on the Boise State-USU TV broadcast so don’t know if it is true. One of the announcers said he had a blood clot in the lungs. If so, that sounds pretty serious although treatable with anti coagulants and blood thinners. Any one else hear the same? 

The announcers also said what we all have been saying, they need him to go far in the tournament. 

That's what he has...at a minimum...he's back by mid-March...Sweet 16 territory...Narain or J. Mensah are going have to step all the way up for them to have a chance at the prize...Arop is back from his shoulder injury...and the last game played like he usually does...but he's not Nate...SDSU is definitely less of a team without him...but I don't see them losing in the MWC unless some crazy shooting on the opponents part...defense is too good...and at least six guys who can shoot from anywhere on the court......

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

As bnasty said, all correct.

Pulmonary embolism. Outside chance he returns this season - the process is break the clot, then get to work. He was our rim protector; without him, Yanni has had to 'learn' to play the 5. With him, we had - for the first time I remember - two legit, back-to-the-basket bigs. Without him, we give up size* in the 4-spot, which hurts our rebounding and bench production to some degree.

While we are good enough, talented enough, and deep enough to make a deep run, we're not as good as we would be if Nathan were starting.

Here's the article from four days ago that ran in the U-T about him with the latest information: Link

*Given Matt Mitchell still weighs in at 240 and AG has a 7'1wingspan we don't give up that much size. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

29 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

As bnasty said, all correct.

Pulmonary embolism. Outside chance he returns this season - the process is break the clot, then get to work. He was our rim protector; without him, Yanni has had to 'learn' to play the 5. With him, we had - for the first time I remember - two legit, back-to-the-basket bigs. Without him, we give up size* in the 4-spot, which hurts our rebounding and bench production to some degree.

While we are good enough, talented enough, and deep enough to make a deep run, we're not as good as we would be if Nathan were starting.

Here's the article from four days ago that ran in the U-T about him with the latest information: Link

*Given Matt Mitchell still weighs in at 240 and AG has a 7'1wingspan we don't give up that much size. 

Hope he gets well soon. Also, Joel has had some good minutes, can't they use him more?

17 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Hope he gets well soon. Also, Joel has had some good minutes, can't they use him more?

Joel played a bit against Nevada and picked up two quick fouls, one flagrant. It was a shame because it was completely unintentional.

Anyway, not having Nathan (I don’t think he’ll be back this year) is definitely going to hurt the team in March. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, thatsmymammy said:

Between Joel and Nolan Narain, it's my personal hope one of them - either Joel through development or Nathan through PT - earns a starting spot to play the 5, allowing Yanni to slide back to the 4 and Matt Mitchell to come back off the bench. Matt is good enough to start, but think of the f*cking luxury of having a quality starter coming off the bench... 

I mean, we're deep enough where we can still go 11-deep, but IMO we were a (marginally) better team with Yanni at the 4 and Matt as the 6th man.

Like Old Dude said, it's more of an issue in March, when we'll face quality teams with two quality back-to-the-basket bigs. 

Joel showed flashes against Fresno at home but he's showed little else this season. He has it in him but it seems as if he's lost Dutch's trust somewhere along the way.

Like everyone has said, we aren't as strong without Nathan. There's opportunity there for any one of three bench players to earn some minutes; Joel, Narain and Johnson.

I thought we looked pretty good going big against Fresno up there when at the end of the first half, Nolan and Yanni were on the floor together. I think that's what Dutch will go with if we're getting bullied.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Nolan has impressed me in stretches. He knows how to use his mass to get position, and is highly intelligent - it just seems at times as if the game comes at him too fast, which I would think (hope?) is more a function of PT than anything else. 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Nolan has impressed me in stretches. He knows how to use his mass to get position, and is highly intelligent - it just seems at times as if the game comes at him too fast, which I would think (hope?) is more a function of PT than anything else. 

Narain has been in the SDSU system for 5 years.  He should know more about plays, switching, whatever, than anyone on the team.  He's also a former 4-star recruit that's been relegated to the scout team for this, his senior year but has still remained positive and supportive of his teammates.

So, I'm thinking the perfect Hollywood scenario is for Narain to have a couple of superhero-esque moments off the bench in the NCAA tourney which push us over the top.

This info shouldn’t have gotten out to the public. It’s been clear Mensah hasn’t wanted it in public, really shitty move by Ziegler. I just hope he gets healthy and is able to live a normal life, his health comes first above all. There is next to no chance he plays again this year. 

Joel has his moments and is pretty skilled offensively, but defensively he has no idea what he’s doing at this point. Is out of position all the time, with Arop back I imagine he’ll see little time in competitive games going forward.

Hope he recovers fully and quickly. I think he’s one of the most underrated players in the MWC. I thought SDSU really started to play better last season once Mensah cracked the starting lineup. And I think they’re elite this year with he and Wetzell together.  The dual threat of two bigs opens things up for guys like Schakel. And Mitchell coming off the bench is killer because he can be used to attack from so many places on the court.

i had a nice conversation tonight with a former coach turned broadcaster and from what he’s seen, he thinks the Aztecs are better than the 2011 team. High praise!