Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VandalPride97

If the donks went to the AAC...

Donkey Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If BSU went to the AAC and the AAC was open to letting in another school, would you want your school to go?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No shits given either way.

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Of those that did vote "no".  7 are from schools that everybody knows would not be asked.  Super scientific poll.

The question was structured in a way that left it open for all MWC school’s fans could vote. If it were asking which schools the aac would want, you'd get votes from only those school’s fans.

In that case, voting would have come from The fans of BSU, FSU, SDSU, The AFA, and CSU.

You wouldn't have got any votes from UNM fans, hell, the MWC doesn't want us, let alone the aac!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

Money... It would all come down to the buy in and yearly travel fees. It if makes monetary sense for the Big West members they would do it. If not they would say no. 

I will admit Hawaii was way more attractive for the Big West than Boise would be. Hawaii has a very solid women's volleyball team, has men's volleyball (gave the BW 5 schools and allowed them to officially sponsor men's volleyball as a sport once they added UC San Diego. Men's volleyball is basically the only D-1 team sport other than baseball that a Big West team can actually win a national championship in), and ok baseball/softball.  

Bigger money than last time, especially since Boise didn't stay before and the conference has a different makeup now.

Bigger money becomes the problem. It was a $750,000 travel subsidy in 2012. Now? Maybe $1 million to $1.5 million per year? A football only add to the AAC would only receive a 75% share. Add in the additional subsidy for the Big West and it may not make sense financially.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I would suggest learning who is actually in the conference...UAB?

West: Air Force, Navy, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane (those would be the teams you see the most)

East: Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF, ECU

the appeal is in the bigger money, ESPN exposure, better start times, things like that.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Bigger money, maybe. ESPN yup.

Better start times probably not.  The call for better start times is usually fan related for host schools. BSU at home will still play in the 7pm/8pm time slot.

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

Bigger money than last time, especially since Boise didn't stay before and the conference has a different makeup now.

Bigger money becomes the problem. It was a $750,000 travel subsidy in 2012. Now? Maybe $1 million to $1.5 million per year? A football only add to the AAC would only receive a 75% share. Add in the additional subsidy for the Big West and it may not make sense financially.

I suspect one reason why their subsidy was that high, Boise originally committed to rejoining the WAC first before backing out.  They lost some leverage.

If Boise tried the Big West route again the subsidy won't be so punitive this time around.  Think half the amount or less.  They already got the San Diego market covered, and there will be a new commissioner (no, not Hair)

7 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Well then, you can't complain. 

George Carlin disagrees with you.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

The question was structured in a way that left it open for all MWC school’s fans could vote. If it were asking which schools the aac would want, you'd get votes from only those school’s fans.

In that case, voting would have come from The fans of BSU, FSU, SDSU, The AFA, and CSU.

You wouldn't have got any votes from UNM fans, hell, the MWC doesn't want us, let alone the aac!

I have no ill will towards UNM and I am certain UNM fans want to be in a bigger name conference, but wouldn't it make financial sense to join forces with NMSU and join UTEP in C-USA ?

Less travel, regional rivalries, plus your fb would be more competitive and b-ball would dominate that conference.

Americans Mayor

12 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

I suspect one reason why their subsidy was that high, Boise originally committed to rejoining the WAC first before backing out.  They lost some leverage.

If Boise tried the Big West route again the subsidy won't be so punitive this time around.  Think half the amount or less.  They already got the San Diego market covered, and there will be a new commissioner (no, not Hair)

Boise backing out in 2012 would seem to continue that leverage problem with the Big West, BSU makes it clear anywhere is just a pit stop for a short time.

Unless Big West schools think they can collect another $1.8 million exit fee from Boise when they back out again. :hmmm:

And again, I suspect BSU would need a Big West school to persuade other members to agree to an invitation. Last time, SDSU was that champion since the Big East deal required both SDSU and Boise to find homes for the non-football sports. If one could not find another conference the whole deal was invalid.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-sdsu-helping-boise-state-find-league-solution-2012may14-htmlstory.html

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-big-west-consider-boise-after-push-sdsu-2012may15-htmlstory.html

15 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Boise backing out in 2012 would seem to continue that leverage problem with the Big West, BSU makes it clear anywhere is just a pit stop for a short time.

Unless Big West schools think they can collect another $1.8 million exit fee from Boise when they back out again. :hmmm:

And again, I suspect BSU would need a Big West school to persuade other members to agree to an invitation. Last time, SDSU was that champion since the Big East deal required both SDSU and Boise to find homes for the non-football sports. If one could not find another conference the whole deal was invalid.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-sdsu-helping-boise-state-find-league-solution-2012may14-htmlstory.html

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-big-west-consider-boise-after-push-sdsu-2012may15-htmlstory.html

Thanks for posting these articles. Not that Bronk-Ho nation would read it. In their post fact -neo truth world, they claim SDSU is their bitch when in reality it was SDSU trying hard to find Boise an Oly landing spot.

The interesting part of Boise crawling back to the MW is that the Big West strong armed Boise for 1.8 mil !

:sh*tfan:

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Thanks for posting these articles. Not that Bronk-Ho nation would read it. In their post fact -neo truth world, they claim SDSU is their bitch when in reality it was SDSU trying hard to find Boise an Oly landing spot.

The interesting part of Boise crawling back to the MW is that the Big West strong armed Boise for 1.8 mil !

I believe that the MWC paid the $1.8M to the Big West---Boise didn't have to pay anything.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I believe that the MWC paid the $1.8M to the Big West---Boise didn't have to pay anything.

I stand corrected.

Just goes to show the ineptitude of the MW when the BW can hold them over the barrel for 1.8 large.

btw, why was was the BW concerned about travel to Boise when they had let Hawaii in the door ?

A bus trip to Boise is much cheaper than a boat ride to the islands. As well as lower hotel, transport and meal costs.

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I stand corrected.

Just goes to show the ineptitude of the MW when the BW can hold them over the barrel for 1.8 large.

btw, why was was the BW concerned about travel to Boise when they had let Hawaii in the door ?

A bus trip to Boise is much cheaper than a boat ride to the islands. As well as lower hotel, transport and meal costs.

Hawaii has to pay the Big West annual travel subsidies for the privilege of Big West membership.  A "mahalo" tax.

@Warbow

21 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I stand corrected.

Your hard on for bsu is getting embarrassing. Take a step back and realize this is a message board. Might help your blood pressure. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I stand corrected.

1.  The concerns weren't about flying to Boise - that had been done in the past with no issues; Boise was a full member in the late 90s.  It was about making sure the BW got something more than a thank you card in case Boise reneged - the "high" exit fees was that insurance.

2.  No concerns about Hawaii because they were expected to be long term members.   

4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

You can't get hyped up to play Eastern Washington or Southern Utah?

Northern Colorado takes the cake.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I remember it as 2/3 MWC paid and 1/3 Boise paid but I would need to spend time finding sources to be sure.

Either way, the Big West had a nice paycheck. If they were smart they would include a larger exit fee if they invite Boise again.

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Lol, the MW paid Boise's exit fees.  You know whos exit fees they did not pay?  SDSU's.

19 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I remember it as 2/3 MWC paid and 1/3 Boise paid but I would need to spend time finding sources to be sure.

Either way, the Big West had a nice paycheck. If they were smart they would include a larger exit fee if they invite Boise again.

"Most of money for both exit fees will be covered by $3 million committed from the Mountain West Conference, which Boise State re-committed to in December 2012. The remaining $1.1 million will come out of the national exposure bonuses the Mountain West agreed to pay Boise State for bringing the conference broad attention through several nationally televised games. That bonus earned Boise State $1.6 million last season, and with most of this fall’s Bronco games already scheduled to air nationally on the ESPN networks or CBS Sports Network, Boise State officials expect to earn at least that much in the Mountain West deal this year as well."

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/boise-state-agrees-to-pay-million-settlement-to-aac/article_3b4b1e22-0409-11e4-8527-0019bb2963f4.html

Let them leave...MWC really stands to lose nothing, because Donk U has no real, reasonable alternative. There is nothing to negotiate...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg