Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VandalPride97

If the donks went to the AAC...

Donkey Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If BSU went to the AAC and the AAC was open to letting in another school, would you want your school to go?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No shits given either way.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Of those that did vote "no".  7 are from schools that everybody knows would not be asked.  Super scientific poll.

What are the vegas odds for that 1 "yes" vote having a blue/orange fingerprint on it?

41 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

You are getting off on this way too much.

We aren’t going anywhere. The MWC is chock full of out peer schools. We will stay here, play our regional rivals, hopefully continue to excel in Football, and make the best we can of this Conference.

Come on Rogue, look at it from my point of view.  I was bored. 

49 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Boise could then park the rest of their sports in the WCC (if they will take them) or the Big West as a back up plan. But to me that still does not make sense for Boise.

I don't see the WCC as an option. The cultures are too different and it has been a tight knit club for many years.

The Big West I don't see either. It is adding UCSD and Bakersfield State currently to reach 11 members (a UC and a CSU to maintain that balance with 1 school from neither system). But even in 2012, the only reason the Big West took Boise was SDSU got in then pushed for the Broncos. The Big West then wanted a $2.5 million entrance fee ($2 million paid by the Big East) and a $750,000 travel subsidy. The BW was then left holding the bag. I wonder if they would take a chance a second time that Boise would stay for a few years. Plus who would champion Boise to the other members this time, Hawaii?

4 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I'm a basketball first guy. They wanted to put us in a gym league.

That move would have at least been rational in that we were going to a BCS conference. 

Going to AAC to play shitbags like Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, USF?

Hell no.

You say you’re a basketball guy then say no to a four bid league? SMH at your willfulness 

17 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You say you’re a basketball guy then say no to a four bid league? SMH at your willfulness 

"bids" are fleeting. Weekday trips to the Eastern Time zone, possibly followed by a Saturday trip, aren't.

SDSU basketball doesn't  need CUSA-2.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

Plus who would champion Boise to the other members this time, Hawaii?

Money... It would all come down to the buy in and yearly travel fees. It if makes monetary sense for the Big West members they would do it. If not they would say no. 

I will admit Hawaii was way more attractive for the Big West than Boise would be. Hawaii has a very solid women's volleyball team, has men's volleyball (gave the BW 5 schools and allowed them to officially sponsor men's volleyball as a sport once they added UC San Diego. Men's volleyball is basically the only D-1 team sport other than baseball that a Big West team can actually win a national championship in), and ok baseball/softball.  

4 hours ago, Bob said:

I see zero, I repeat ZERO, appeal to playing +++++ing Memphis, directional Floridas, UAB, East Carolina (which like Boise is not a state), Temple (wtf), etc.. 

I would suggest learning who is actually in the conference...UAB?

West: Air Force, Navy, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane (those would be the teams you see the most)

East: Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF, ECU

the appeal is in the bigger money, ESPN exposure, better start times, things like that.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Originally, SDSUs bball team was going to the Big West and football was going to the Big East

The question is would SDSU become the Gonzaga of the Big West or just take a major hit as a basketball program. So far the first 7 years in the Big West Hawaii has just become an average Big West team  (won the regular season one year, 5 middle of the pack years, and one bad year). I know SDSU basketball is in a better place than Hawaii was BUT there is still a risk the program takes a huge step back. 

7 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

The question is would SDSU become the Gonzaga of the Big West or just take a major hit as a basketball program. So far the first 7 years in the Big West Hawaii has just become an average Big West team  (won the regular season one year, 5 middle of the pack years, and one bad year). I know SDSU basketball is in a better place than Hawaii was BUT there is still a risk the program takes a huge step back. 

SDSU will never play in the same conference as UCSD.  SD Metro is now represented in the three western leagues not called P-12.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

The issue is the payout for the remaining MWC program's media rights if Boise State were to leave.  As a historical example, when Boise State left the WAC to join this illustrious conference, the WAC's media rights were basically cut in half.  There's an article, I believe from a Hawaii paper, that detailed the new Boise-less ESPN payout but I can't find it.  

I realize that Boise State may not have exactly the same leverage/comparative value that it did during that time frame, but it would still be a significant negative impact on other MWC programs if Boise State were to leave...the more critical question is "To where?"

And if Boise State is doing more than posturing with the most recent temper tantrum, there probably is a feasible "where".

Let’s be clear. It’s only Boise State fans that have been posturing. The Boise State administration made a very short, but succinct statement that said they have a contract with the MWC and expect it to be honored. If not, they will weigh their options.

Essentially they are looking after their own self interest and putting Thompson on notice that they are not in agreement with his statement that this will be the last media contract that will be separately negotiated with Boise State, whatever that means. 

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

I just wish the MWC had managed to get Gonzaga...that would have been a game changer for y'all IMHO

Honestly we probably would have had to just let them keep their tv rights and a large chunk (if not all) of their NCAAT credits. It would have been a Boise 2.0 offer but even more extreme. 

It still would have increased the tv contract for the other MW school (ie gives the conference 9 Gonzaga road games) but we would have had to bend over backwards to get them. They were likely just making a power play to get more from the WCC. Since 50% of basketball games are during the OOC Gonzaga can maintain their national brand regardless of their conference (they just flip the script by playing most of their tough games in the OOC instead of conference play). And if Gonzaga ever does fall off a cliff they might prefer just to be a run of the mill team in the WCC instead of an outlier in the MW.

The more realistic move would have either

1.) just let BYU keep they Olympic sports in the MW from the start

2.)  go after Wichita State before the AAC did. They are no Gonzaga but still a very solid add.  

8 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

SDSU will never play in the same conference as UCSD.  SD Metro is now represented in the three western leagues not called P-12.

So what would you do if the WCC said no? Big Sky? WAC? 

Face it if the WCC says no you would just have to swallow your pride and join the Big West. I do agree though that the WCC would be a far more attractive conference as they have an elite program (Gonzaga) and a couple of solid ones (BYU/Saint Marys). 

3 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Honestly we probably would have had to just let them keep their tv rights and a large chunk (if not all) of their NCAAT credits. It would have been a Boise 2.0 offer but even more extreme. 

It still would have increased the tv contract for the other MW school (ie gives the conference 9 Gonzaga road games) but we would have had to bend over backwards to get them. They were likely just making a power play to get more from the WCC. Since 50% of basketball games are during the OOC Gonzaga can maintain their national brand regardless of their conference (they just flip the script by playing most of their tough games in the OOC instead of conference play). And if Gonzaga ever does fall off a cliff they might prefer just to be a run of the mill team in the WCC instead of an outlier in the MW.

The more realistic move would have either

1.) just let BYU keep they Olympic sports in the MW from the start

2.)  go after Wichita State before the AAC did. They are no Gonzaga but still a very solid add.  

having WSU has helped cushion the blow from UConn leaving 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Let’s be clear. It’s only Boise State fans that have been posturing. The Boise State administration made a very short, but succinct statement that said they have a contract with the MWC and expect it to be honored. If not, they will weigh their options.

Essentially they are looking after their own self interest and putting Thompson on notice that they are not in agreement with his statement that this will be the last media contract that will be separately negotiated with Boise State, whatever that means. 

And hence the reason neither statement is meaningful at this time. Boise is not going anywhere unless the Big-12 comes calling. And if the Big-12 (assuming they don't lose anyone) comes calling Boise is leaving regardless. We are 4-5 years away from negotiating the next tv contract. I agree that a contract is a contract BUT leverage does make a difference. If Boise goes 6-6 the next fours years they would be more willing to considering adjusting the contract than say if they win two access bowls in the next four years. 

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

So what would you do if the WCC said no? Big Sky? WAC? 

Face it if the WCC says no you would just have to swallow your pride and join the Big West. I do agree though that the WCC would be a far more attractive conference as they have an elite program (Gonzaga) and a couple of solid ones (BYU/Saint Marys). 

It 's why it would never happen.  Neither league is an option. The WCC is where our little sister plays.. A move to a shitty east coast league provides zero benefit to SDSU football and would radically harm SDSU basketball.  Like I said, the only move for SDSU would involve either a P5 invite or the formation or a geographically balanced BOR. Other than these 2 far-fetched options, we hang with the MWC and work towards a more competitive league

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Serious question, is there a shortage of grown men dressed as pimps and Elvi in the AAC? If not, I see no real benefit for them to add donk uni...then again, maybe their truck stops need more business? Wait, this could be pretty big...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

40 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

And hence the reason neither statement is meaningful at this time. Boise is not going anywhere unless the Big-12 comes calling. And if the Big-12 (assuming they don't lose anyone) comes calling Boise is leaving regardless. We are 4-5 years away from negotiating the next tv contract. I agree that a contract is a contract BUT leverage does make a difference. If Boise goes 6-6 the next fours years they would be more willing to considering adjusting the contract than say if they win two access bowls in the next four years. 

Why?