Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VandalPride97

If the donks went to the AAC...

Donkey Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If BSU went to the AAC and the AAC was open to letting in another school, would you want your school to go?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No shits given either way.

It would be a tough choice. I would assume it would be a football only invite. In the case of Fresno they would probably op to go to the Big West (all cali expect Hawaii) and be the 12th member there. For every Olympic sport other than men's basketball I prefer the Big West over the MW. BUT not sure the big hit in men's basketball plus opening yourself to be left out in the end (ie if the AAC falls apart not so sure the MW would just welcome Fresno back with open arms) is worth a couple extra million in TV money and being in clearly the best  little 5 football conference (which the AAC obviously will be if they get Boise). 

Really I am not sure it is smart for ANY western team to join the AAC unless they get the AAC to really make a commitment to the west. Like adding 4 full members from the west and then going to quadrants for Olympic sports. That way even if the AAC falls apart you still have a core 4 of western schools that could just cherry pick the MW schools to make a new conference. 

Been there. done that.

Short answer is no.

If there were to be an attempt to form a true BOR with geographic balance, then yes.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Been there. done that.

Short answer is no.

If there were to be an attempt to form a true BOR with geographic balance, then yes.

I take it that you did not enjoy the 2011 sojourn? 

Just now, VandalPride97 said:

I take it that you did not enjoy the 2011 sojourn? 

I'm a basketball first guy. They wanted to put us in a gym league.

That move would have at least been rational in that we were going to a BCS conference. 

Going to AAC to play shitbags like Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, USF?

Hell no.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

21 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well, we know how fans on the MWCboard are going to vote.  Probably the opposite of how their presidents would vote.

It's OK, your "yes" vote got logged.

What makes you think the presidents will vote differently?  Seems that every fan here knows how their president will vote.  Is there a subculture of dissent in the MWC leadership?  Little bit of insurrection?

1 minute ago, VandalPride97 said:

What makes you think the presidents will vote differently?  Seems that every fan here knows how their president will vote.  Is there a subculture of dissent in the MWC leadership?  Little bit of insurrection?

Didn't vote.

2 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Of those that did vote "no".  7 are from schools that everybody knows would not be asked.  Super scientific poll.

Guest #1Stunner

If Boise were to join the AAC, the University of Idaho should absolutely petition to the AAC to join along with Boise.

It would be huge for the State of Idaho (bringing both Idaho Schools into the AAC).   Boise and Idaho could be in the same conference again.

Guest #1Stunner

Also, if Boise and 1 other MWC school were to join the AAC, what would that mean for the University of Idaho (assuming they don't join the AAC along with Boise).

Could be their ticket into the MWC.   I mean, that's how USU and SJSU got MWC entry.  Thanks to Boise and SDSU flirting with the remnant Big East / AAC.

A University of Idaho - Wyoming rivalry would be second only to the Montana vs Wyoming rivalry.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Also, if Boise and 1 other MWC school were to join the AAC, what would that mean for the University of Idaho (assuming they don't join the AAC along with Boise).

Could be their ticket into the MWC.   I mean, that's how USU and SJSU got MWC entry.  Thanks to Boise and SDSU flirting with the remnant Big East / AAC.

Absolutely not!  There is not one damn thing wrong with a 10-team conference!

The issue is the payout for the remaining MWC program's media rights if Boise State were to leave.  As a historical example, when Boise State left the WAC to join this illustrious conference, the WAC's media rights were basically cut in half.  There's an article, I believe from a Hawaii paper, that detailed the new Boise-less ESPN payout but I can't find it.  

I realize that Boise State may not have exactly the same leverage/comparative value that it did during that time frame, but it would still be a significant negative impact on other MWC programs if Boise State were to leave...the more critical question is "To where?"

And if Boise State is doing more than posturing with the most recent temper tantrum, there probably is a feasible "where".

54 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

And if Boise State is doing more than posturing with the most recent temper tantrum, there probably is a feasible "where".

Isn't the AAC the ONLY answer? I don't think the Big-12 makes a move until someone takes a school from them. Boise could easily go indy and get a couple more mil a year out of the TV deal BUT they would essentially be giving up any shot at the access bowl. I mean once the playoffs expand to at least 8 teams you could then make a case for indy but until that point I don't think it makes sense for Boise to even consider it. 

Maybe ESPN is telling the AAC if you add Boise they will up the contract payout a bit? Boise could then park the rest of their sports in the WCC (if they will take them) or the Big West as a back up plan. But to me that still does not make sense for Boise. I mean the only way I think it would be worth it is if a.) the AAC gives Boise a special deal (but they declined to do this last time so I doubt they will do it this time) b.) the AAC champ is given an auto birth into the Access bowl. I doubt the AAC gets an auto bid b/c the MW/Sun Belt/CUSA/MAC representation would not be support of that unless they also keep an auto bid for their top rated champ.  

You are getting off on this way too much.

We aren’t going anywhere. The MWC is chock full of out peer schools. We will stay here, play our regional rivals, hopefully continue to excel in Football, and make the best we can of this Conference.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok