Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

SDSU and Football

Why hasn’t SDSU rivaled USC and UCLA in football? They have a lot going for them. Great weather, SoCal recruiting, attractive place to coach, coeds in shorts year around. My guess is the G5 label holds them down. Put them in the PAC and I think they would excel.

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Why hasn’t SDSU rivaled USC and UCLA in football? They have a lot going for them. Great weather, SoCal recruiting, attractive place to coach, coeds in shorts year around. My guess is the G5 label holds them down. Put them in the PAC and I think they would excel.

I think SDS is the most valuable member of the MWC. There are strong if both revenue sports their being in the conference help's recruiting in So.Cal for everyone. I believe that when they build their new stadium they will only get better in football.

11 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

We were shitty for a long time, and they weren't.  Plus they are in the PAC

This.  Missing on a few hires can really set a program back and hiring the right guy can really elevate or change the directory of the program.  I'm not always sure there was a big commitment to football either.  I think the university as a whole is really making strides to improve now.  They have the most upside of any school in the conference.  They aren't too far off from realizing it if they can elevate their football a little more and get some NY6 bowls.  

I think both the perceived value of success and the shelf life of accomplishments are less for non-P5 teams. Bigger hill to climb. Plus, as ECA mentioned, we succckkkkked for a long time. It's just over the last decade or so that we've seen a high level of sustained success in both FB and MBB.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Guest #1Stunner

SDSU has a ton of upside, as others have said.

Amazing location.  Great weather.  Solid Academics.

Hodad's / Hammonds each a stone's throw away

Beaches.

Committment by the school to funding their programs---a great basketball venue, and soon be a quality (but small) football vanue

Intense inter-city rivalry with their sister school, USD.

They are really primed for success. 

Only challenge, though, is that college sports fan interest is sort of dying rapidly on the west coast.  USC is even struggling.  The timing might be bad for SDSU.   Exposure is a big deal for SDSU if they are to continue to build fan support.  Otherwise, they will soon have venues full of 50 to 70 year old fans and no younger fan following growth (you see a few fanbases that look like this in the WCC).  They have been screwed badly by the MWC TV deal, so hopefully the new deal is better for them.

If the next 10 years are anything like the last 10, when the next conference realignment rolls around SDSU has a pretty damn good argument for being in the conversation for P5. They rack up NCAA Tourney credits, Bowl$, and have the attendance. One more level-up into a higher tier bowl game or Elite Eight would be great on their resume. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Rebels18 said:

If the next 10 years are anything like the last 10, when the next conference realignment rolls around SDSU has a pretty damn good argument for being in the conversation for P5. They rack up NCAA Tourney credits, Bowl$, and have the attendance. One more level-up into a higher tier bowl game or Elite Eight would be great on their resume. 

It seems like the destinies of SDSU and UNLV are tied to each other.

UNLV needs to get it going, but if they can, the two make an attractive pairing.  

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It seems like the destinies of SDSU and UNLV are tied to each other.

UNLV needs to get it going, but if they can, the two make an attractive pairing.  

UNLV has been stuck in the cycle of hiring lame-duck coaches, rebuilding, firing, hiring, rebuilding, firing, etc with no success for 30 and 40 years for basketball and football respectively. If UNLV doesn't get their shit together right now with the new facilities, stadium, and finally ponying up with competitive D1 coaching staff salaries--they never will. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

This.  Missing on a few hires can really set a program back and hiring the right guy can really elevate or change the directory of the program.  I'm not always sure there was a big commitment to football either.  I think the university as a whole is really making strides to improve now.  They have the most upside of any school in the conference.  They aren't too far off from realizing it if they can elevate their football a little more and get some NY6 bowls.  

Well said.

The SDSU inferiority complex can still be seen by some of the oldtimers on AztecMesa. I don't mean to offend anyone but I think among the reasons is how many of them became school teachers. One longtime poster on the old Aztectalk who sadly passed away of a heart attack in his early fifties once told me he loved teaching but might have majored in a different field had he known how much money would mean to him later in life. Well, SDSU may have begun as a "normal" school for teachers but although the percentage of students who are in that field continues to diminish at SDSU, I suspect a lot of the oldtimers who keep saying the mantra "SDSU will never, ever get into the Pac-12" are retired teachers with a defeatist attitude borne of frustration over how much less they earned in their career than fellow students who course of study was in other fields.

That defeatist attitude once permeated SDSU sports fans but no longer and that has helped. Also, I sure didn't think so at the time but it also helps that SDSU allowed Ted Tollner to retire on the job for a few years, then conducted the worst coaching recruitment in the history of man to replace Ted (rumor has it Ted was put on a committee to interview people to replace himself while he was basically paid to sit at a desk for the final year on his contract) which resulted in SDSU being the first FBS school in two decades to hire a JC guy to be its HC and then SDSU hired Chuck "Fourth and" Long. The firestorm created by that 8-year run of incompetence let the school president and his successors know that alumni weren't going to stand for their school being bad in football and the turnaround over the last 11 seasons has been dramatic.

Boom goes the dynamite.

20 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV has been stuck in the cycle of hiring lame-duck coaches, rebuilding, firing, hiring, rebuilding, firing, etc with no success for 30 and 40 years for basketball and football respectively. If UNLV doesn't get their shit together right now with the new facilities, stadium, and finally ponying up with competitive D1 coaching staff salaries--they never will. 

Bingo. With continuing growth in your city plus that new glitzy state of the art stadium to play football in and finally hiring a basketball coach who appears not to have his head up his arse, this is UNLV's chance to situate itself for candidacy for the B12 in the event that conference loses a few of its members in 5-10 years.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Well, you answered your own question didn't you.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

1 hour ago, aztech said:

Just think what either of us could do with $20M+ a year.  A bigger pond would make the big fish, bigger.   

When the new stadium opens we will be getting an incremental $20mm/year less any debt service (budgeted at $10mm/year).  The new stadium and campus is going to be a huge sea-change for the school and the athletics department - in specific the football program.  Add to that the increase in the conference tv deal beginning next year and there's going to be a lot more money in the department over the next few years.