Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bnastyaztecs

Aztecs #4 in Nation

5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'll admit, the game at Viejas North next Sunday concerns me a little. I mean, even a Dave Rice-coached team was able to take down the #1-ranked Heels at the time, and I think TJO probably has a higher upside than CDR.

Also, the TMack seems to have come back to life - it's nice to see the fair weather fans that make up 90% of your fan base return. Should make for a fun atmosphere next weekend.

Dave Rice was given probably the best skilled and overall team UNLV has seen since the early 90's. Them beating UNC and their 4 lottery picks is hardly a comparison to the situations now.

I think you guys will be alright. Your program stability and continuity is leaps and bounds above us and the talent level shows it. We're starting a local walk on. Two of them some games. The transfers you added this season were baller. We're barely running 7 deep since Mitrou-Long been out for us.

Next year is gonna be fun though. Rebs basically return everything useful and add alot.

Also, your fan base is practically a mirror of ours, maybe without the 20 year+ diehards. Your attendance was in decline for like 4 years. 3 years ago when Fisher was on his way out this board was an Aztec ghost town compared the years earlier. Even with that little MWC run and NCAA bid it didn't do much to revive the fan base. This is a great year for you guys, it will be interesting to see how everyone reacts if this team falls before everyone expects.

4 hours ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Below is pretty much how's it gonna to go down...UNLV crowd is going to be in it...UNLV (in white) jumps SDSU (in black) in the beginning...then the second half...SMACK!!!....and UNLV goes away with their feelings hurt...#21...and solidify 1st place...the only way any MWC team is going to beat us...is if they shoot 50 percent for the game...hit all their three point shots...and SDSU craps the bed...shooting under 30 percent...even then...it's gonna be close...even if Yanni goes down with fouls...we got enough guards to hold em off...March Madness...probably not.....

UNLV hasn't jumped anyone from what I really remember. UNM was up like 12-3 on us after first 6 minutes. Wyoming was up like 11-1 first 6 minutes as well.

Name this team:

45% FG, 31% 3pFG (18 misses), 9 less FT's, less rebounds, more fouls and more turnovers.

San Jose State. The team that lost by a Flynn buzzer beating 3.

I give UNLV about a 10% chance of UNLV stealing this one. That's only because Coleman has been an absolute stud lately and Hamilton is putting up POY numbers.

Flynn, Wetzell and Feagin were some great pickups with what you already had. Just too much talent for everyone else to really compete, but all it takes is one game I suppose.

We'll be right there next year though.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Dave Rice was given probably the best skilled and overall team UNLV has seen since the early 90's. Them beating UNC and their 4 lottery picks is hardly a comparison to the situations now.

I think you guys will be alright. Your program stability and continuity is leaps and bounds above us and the talent level shows it. We're starting a local walk on. Two of them some games. The transfers you added this season were baller. We're barely running 7 deep since Mitrou-Long been out for us.

Next year is gonna be fun though. Rebs basically return everything useful and add alot.

Also, your fan base is practically a mirror of ours, maybe without the 20 year+ diehards. Your attendance was in decline for like 4 years. 3 years ago when Fisher was on his way out this board was an Aztec ghost town compared the years earlier. Even with that little MWC run and NCAA bid it didn't do much to revive the fan base. This is a great year for you guys, it will be interesting to see how everyone reacts if this team falls before everyone expects.

UNLV hasn't jumped anyone from what I really remember. UNM was up like 12-3 on us after first 6 minutes. Wyoming was up like 11-1 first 6 minutes as well.

Name this team:

45% FG, 31% 3pFG (18 misses), 9 less FT's, less rebounds, more fouls and more turnovers.

San Jose State. The team that lost by a Flynn buzzer beating 3.

I give UNLV about a 10% chance of UNLV stealing this one. That's only because Coleman has been an absolute stud lately and Hamilton is putting up POY numbers.

Flynn, Wetzell and Feagin were some great pickups with what you already had. Just too much talent for everyone else to really compete, but all it takes is one game I suppose.

We'll be right there next year though.

Let me tell you about the San Jose game...the players and the coach didn't take them serious...plain and simple...Dutch was experimenting with crazy personal combinations...we played Johnson and J. Mensah early...went out for a quick lead...went into halftime with a lead...and came out relaxed like they were hitting blunts...SJSU did what they were supposed to do...and darn near won a game shooting 38 percent...Aztecs won it shooting 31 percent...Flynn had 9 points, Feagan 3, and Wetzel 8...not likely to occur again...so that game was a mirage...every winning team has it's almost...damn nears....they've learned from it all the way around.....another thing...the last three years...MWC championship game...MWC championship game...NCAA tourney...miss it...back to the tourney this year...we sucked...but it's like a bankrupt millionaire kind of way....

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

You are right about all of this, of course, but tbh I was casting bait for another fish. :ph34r:

I will say this tho - while I've been there to watch the attendance decline since the last years of the Fisher era, when we bottomed out last year we were still at over half capacity BIS (link) and led both the conference and the state of California in attendance (link). By contrast, I've seen a couple games this year at the TMack where there were more people in this thread than there were BIS in the lower bowl. But that seems to be a moot point now if the last game is any indication.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

11 hours ago, bnastyaztecs said:

That's awesome. This is an overall better team than ours the last couple years. The only thing I could say we did better was quick scoring.......suddenly light up the scoreboard and being way out of a game midway through the 2nd half and then going nuts and winning. 

The Aztecs are just a very stable consistent balanced non-streaky team, and that's what you want, obviously.   

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, Anon5251042 said:

Why can't we play twice like we do for other opponents this season?:hmmm:

Because the b-ball coaches and ad's only want to play 18 conference games.

8 teams x2 and 2 teams x1 = 18.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You are right about all of this, of course, but tbh I was casting bait for another fish. :ph34r:

I will say this tho - while I've been there to watch the attendance decline since the last years of the Fisher era, when we bottomed out last year we were still at over half capacity BIS (link) and led both the conference and the state of California in attendance (link). By contrast, I've seen a couple games this year at the TMack where there were more people in this thread than there were BIS in the lower bowl. But that seems to be a moot point now if the last game is any indication.

Nobody is denying the current state of affairs.

However were on our 4th coach in like 8 years. Aztecs are on their 2nd in last 25 years. With the 2nd being their the entire time.

Arena half full with a slight decline in results, I could only imagine Dutch getting canned in an ugly firing, 3 players on roster, hire a guy only to leave 2 weeks later, hire your back up choice and then fire him 3 years later because he wasn't Steve Fisher fast enough.

I think its safe to say Aztecs would struggle to get half those seats filled.

That being said, winning solves all. Aztecs are showing that this year and if UNLV hosts SDSU with a 7-1 record next sunday...its gonna be safe to say that UNLV fairweather will show up even after the failures in the OOC.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

5 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Nobody is denying the current state of affairs.

However were on our 4th coach in like 8 years. Aztecs are on their 2nd in last 25 years. With the 2nd being their the entire time.

Arena half full with a slight decline in results, I could only imagine Dutch getting canned in an ugly firing, 3 players on roster, hire a guy only to leave 2 weeks later, hire your back up choice and then fire him 3 years later because he wasn't Steve Fisher fast enough.

I think its safe to say Aztecs would struggle to get half those seats filled.

That being said, winning solves all. Aztecs are showing that this year and if UNLV hosts SDSU with a 7-1 record next sunday...its gonna be safe to say that UNLV fairweather will show up even after the failures in the OOC.

Good point - if we had the same shitstorm of a dumpster fire of a program as you guys have had for the last decade, we would have probably seen a greater dip in attendance. 

I just think it's funnyAF that, as you mention, the current state of UNLV is a direct result of the high rate of attrition, which is itself due to TUNLVF's impatience, which in turn has kept TUNLVF from entering the building. Talk about the tail wagging the Reb... 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

That's awesome. This is an overall better team than ours the last couple years. The only thing I could say we did better was quick scoring.......suddenly light up the scoreboard and being way out of a game midway through the 2nd half and then going nuts and winning. 

The Aztecs are just a very stable consistent balanced non-streaky team, and that's what you want, obviously.   

Aztecs fell behind Iowa by 16 with 5 minutes left in the first half. The Aztecs outscored Iowa 62-36 the rest of the way. That was a nice Nevada19 style comeback.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:04 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

I'll admit, the game at Viejas North next Sunday concerns me a little. I mean, even a Dave Rice-coached team was able to take down the #1-ranked Heels at the time, and I think TJO probably has a higher upside than CDR.

Also, the TMack seems to have come back to life - it's nice to see the fair weather fans that make up 90% of your fan base return. Should make for a fun atmosphere next weekend.

To be fair, it's more like 75%.

Amazingly impressive year Aztecs! Count me as going from skeptical about Dutch to a believer.

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Good point - if we had the same shitstorm of a dumpster fire of a program as you guys have had for the last decade, we would have probably seen a greater dip in attendance

I just think it's funnyAF that, as you mention, the current state of UNLV is a direct result of the high rate of attrition, which is itself due to TUNLVF's impatience, which in turn has kept TUNLVF from entering the building. Talk about the tail wagging the Reb... 

As we have all seen. Most here remember those days.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Not to mention the WCC provides more opportunities for quality wins this year than the MWC does. I don't think there's another Q1 win to be had on our sked at this point after the Aggies' epic collapse.

SDSU remaining games: Q1- 0, Q2- 4, Q3- 5, Q4- 1

https://bracketologists.com/team/san-diego-state-aztecs

Gonzaga remaining games: Q1- 2, Q2- 3, Q3- 3, Q4- 2

https://bracketologists.com/team/gonzaga-bulldogs

Ken Katz' Power 36 has the Aztecs at #3 !

Americans Mayor

On 1/21/2020 at 1:37 AM, kalua pig said:

if sdsu wants their first loss.come down and play hawai'i.

:hahaha:

Americans Mayor