Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bnastyaztecs

Aztecs #4 in Nation

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

After the losses by Duke, Auburn, and Butler, this is where I expected us to be. 

It's going to be fun listening to the PA announce/introduce our #4-ranked Aztecs tomorrow night. :rock:

Overdue and well deserved.

14 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Always more respect for MWC team accomplishments from reporters who know the conference.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

36 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

The higher they are, the harder they fall

I'll admit, the game at Viejas North next Sunday concerns me a little. I mean, even a Dave Rice-coached team was able to take down the #1-ranked Heels at the time, and I think TJO probably has a higher upside than CDR.

Also, the TMack seems to have come back to life - it's nice to see the fair weather fans that make up 90% of your fan base return. Should make for a fun atmosphere next weekend.

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Hard to figure Gonzaga dropping from first to second after two decisive wins over above average teams. 

Not to mention the WCC provides more opportunities for quality wins this year than the MWC does. I don't think there's another Q1 win to be had on our sked at this point after the Aggies' epic collapse.

45 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'll admit, the game at Viejas North next Sunday concerns me a little. I mean, even a Dave Rice-coached team was able to take down the #1-ranked Heels at the time, and I think TJO probably has a higher upside than CDR.

Also, the TMack seems to have come back to life - it's nice to see the fair weather fans that make up 90% of your fan base return. Should make for a fun atmosphere next weekend.

It's certainly a marquee game with upset potential. Depends on who shows up that night.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Hard to figure Gonzaga dropping from first to second after two decisive wins over above average teams. 

Probably because the WCC is very much like the MWC.  Only one other team is a threat to its leader.  In our case it was supposed to be USU, until they imploded.  

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Below is pretty much how's it gonna to go down...UNLV crowd is going to be in it...UNLV (in white) jumps SDSU (in black) in the beginning...then the second half...SMACK!!!....and UNLV goes away with their feelings hurt...#21...and solidify 1st place...the only way any MWC team is going to beat us...is if they shoot 50 percent for the game...hit all their three point shots...and SDSU craps the bed...shooting under 30 percent...even then...it's gonna be close...even if Yanni goes down with fouls...we got enough guards to hold em off...March Madness...probably not.....

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego State men's basketball team, the only remaining undefeated team in the nation, moved up to No. 4 in this week's Associated Press Top-25 and USA Today Coaches Poll, both of which were published on Jan. 20.  The No. 4 ranking in each poll match the highest spot reached in program history.

Prior to Monday, SDSU had reached No. 4 in the polls three times.  The only previous time the team was No. 4 in the AP Top-25 came on Jan. 24, 2011.  The program was also No. 4 in that week's Coaches Poll and appeared again at No. 4 on Feb. 21, 2011.

SDSU is ranked for the seventh consecutive week this season.  After initially appearing in the No. 25 spot in the AP Poll on Dec. 9, the Aztecs climbed to No. 20, No. 15, No. 13, into the top-10 with back-to-back weekly rankings at No. 7 and now to No. 4.  The Aztecs 1,422 points are the most garnered in program history, eclipsing the 1,373 received in the Feb. 10, 2014 poll when San Diego State was ranked No. 5. 

Today's poll ranking, released on Jan. 20, marks the fifth time that SDSU has appeared in the AP Top-25 on this date and it is the highest ranking for the program on this date.

Jan. 20, 2011   No. 6 (NCAA Tournament Sweet-16 appearance w/ Kawhi Leonard)
Jan. 20, 2012   No. 16
Jan. 20, 2013   No. 15
Jan. 20, 2014   No. 7 (NCAA Tournament Sweet-16 appearance)

Overall, this marks the 73rd week the program has been ranked in the AP Top-25 and all have come since the start of the 2010-11 season.  Those 73 weeks are the 23rd most for any school in the nation in that time frame; ahead of Maryland and Oregon (66 weeks), Indiana (62 weeks) and UCLA (44 weeks).  The program's No. 4 ranking marks the 24th time it has appeared in the AP Top-10.

The Aztecs 19-0 start is currently the longest winning streak in the nation and one victory shy the program record for wins to open a season without a loss, which the 2010-11 team achieved at 20-0.  That team won the Mountain West regular-season and tournament championships and reached the Sweet-16 of the NCAA Tournament.  In addition to opening the 2010-11 season winning 20 straight, San Diego State also had a 20-game win streak during the 2013-14 season, both are the longest in program history.

In addition, the latest NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool), which replaced RPI this year as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men's basketball season, ranks the Aztecs No. 2 in the nation.  San Diego State has spent the most days at No. 1, 18 in total and 17 in a row from Dec. 22, 2019 to Jan. 7, 2020. NET relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses to create its rankings. 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:
SAN DIEGO – The San Diego State men's basketball team, the only remaining undefeated team in the nation, moved up to No. 4 in this week's Associated Press Top-25 and USA Today Coaches Poll, both of which were published on Jan. 20.  The No. 4 ranking in each poll match the highest spot reached in program history.

Prior to Monday, SDSU had reached No. 4 in the polls three times.  The only previous time the team was No. 4 in the AP Top-25 came on Jan. 24, 2011.  The program was also No. 4 in that week's Coaches Poll and appeared again at No. 4 on Feb. 21, 2011.

SDSU is ranked for the seventh consecutive week this season.  After initially appearing in the No. 25 spot in the AP Poll on Dec. 9, the Aztecs climbed to No. 20, No. 15, No. 13, into the top-10 with back-to-back weekly rankings at No. 7 and now to No. 4.  The Aztecs 1,422 points are the most garnered in program history, eclipsing the 1,373 received in the Feb. 10, 2014 poll when San Diego State was ranked No. 5. 

Today's poll ranking, released on Jan. 20, marks the fifth time that SDSU has appeared in the AP Top-25 on this date and it is the highest ranking for the program on this date.

Jan. 20, 2011   No. 6 (NCAA Tournament Sweet-16 appearance w/ Kawhi Leonard)
Jan. 20, 2012   No. 16
Jan. 20, 2013   No. 15
Jan. 20, 2014   No. 7 (NCAA Tournament Sweet-16 appearance)

Overall, this marks the 73rd week the program has been ranked in the AP Top-25 and all have come since the start of the 2010-11 season.  Those 73 weeks are the 23rd most for any school in the nation in that time frame; ahead of Maryland and Oregon (66 weeks), Indiana (62 weeks) and UCLA (44 weeks).  The program's No. 4 ranking marks the 24th time it has appeared in the AP Top-10.

The Aztecs 19-0 start is currently the longest winning streak in the nation and one victory shy the program record for wins to open a season without a loss, which the 2010-11 team achieved at 20-0.  That team won the Mountain West regular-season and tournament championships and reached the Sweet-16 of the NCAA Tournament.  In addition to opening the 2010-11 season winning 20 straight, San Diego State also had a 20-game win streak during the 2013-14 season, both are the longest in program history.

In addition, the latest NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool), which replaced RPI this year as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men's basketball season, ranks the Aztecs No. 2 in the nation.  San Diego State has spent the most days at No. 1, 18 in total and 17 in a row from Dec. 22, 2019 to Jan. 7, 2020. NET relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses to create its rankings. 

Great stuff.  Do you have the link to this source?