Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

One of the two new Boise State commits today

24 minutes ago, Danimaji said:

I was in a course with both of them last semester. They both showed up early each class and were seemingly good students. Both of them seem like hard workers.

LB is definitely a position of need. Next season, multiple LBs are seniors. 2021 LB recruits won't be on the team until all of those LBs are gone. That means the new recruits won't have time to learn the system before they're possibly needed in the rotation. I'd prefer giving the next set of LBs more experience. Unfortunately, options are drying up. At this point, I wouldn't offer any LB scholarships unless it's a player with legitimate impact potential.

As the season progressed, the defensive scheme utilized only two LBs at times. That suggests that the coaching staff didn't view LBs as the strength of the defense. If the coaching staff did, why would they swap out LBs for extra DBs?

I agree with halfman on the need for more LBs

That's the thing too, not to just fill spots.  I think part of the problem at LB has been recruiting.  Probably the only position where that is the case.  We are loaded at STUD and the first two LB's are pretty good in Whimpey and Noa.  Being able to bring in somebody like Miller who is a better athlete then the rest of the LB's on the roster is huge.  He has the quickness of Hawkins but at 240 lbs.  A step faster than Noa.  He and JBB will provide depth at the position we sorely needed last year.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

K.  Wick and Hawkins have not shown "solid" in their career and neither look or play like D1 players, let alone like players on a top 25 team.  Hawkins may develop and show more but Wick won't.  LB was a critical need.  You disagree.  Cool.

We will have to agree to disagree on your first sentence here.

Personally I look at it this way............there are a LOT worse ways to begin a new football season (2020) than having BOTH of your starting linebackers back (one who started all 14 games in 2019 and the other who started 10 games in 2019) as well as having what I consider to be a third returning LB starter in Ezekiel Noa - as Noa was the starter for the first 4 games last fall before being injured & missing the rest of the season.   I know that Noa is not technically a returning starter as he only started those first 4 games - but if he hadn't been injured he almost certainly would have started all 14 games and Wickersham would not have started a single game in 2019.

You want something to worry about?  Try looking at what's left of the defensive line for 2020.   Now THAT is an area to be concerned about.   All four starters are gone and what's left has basically done next to nothing to date.

worry.jpg

42 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Personally I look at it this way............there are a LOT worse ways to begin a new football season (2020) than having BOTH of your starting linebackers back (one who started all 14 games in 2019 and the other who started 10 games in 2019) as well as having what I consider to be a third returning LB starter in Ezekiel Noa - as Noa was the starter for the first 4 games last fall before being injured & missing the rest of the season.   I know that Noa is not technically a returning starter as he only started those first 4 games - but if he hadn't been injured he almost certainly would have started all 14 games and Wickersham would not have started a single game in 2019.

You want something to worry about?  Try looking at what's left of the defensive line for 2020.   Now THAT is an area to be concerned about.   All four starters are gone and what's left has basically done next to nothing to date.

worry.jpg

JFC, the entire reason why LB is worrisome is because players ended up starting who had no business playing D1 football.  As far as DL goes.  Meh.  We have high end D1 talent replacing the guys we lost.  I am less worried about LB now because it looks like we shored it up with a real D1 LB in our grad transfer.

2 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

From Dave Southorn's way-too-early depth chart on theAthletic:

DE

Starter: Shane Irwin (Jr.)
Backup: Michael Callahan (R-Fr.)

DT

Starter: Scott Matlock (Soph.)
Backup: Jackson Cravens (Soph.)

NT

Starter: Scale Igiehon (Jr.)
Backup: Keeghan Freeborn (Soph.)

ST

Starter: Demitri Washington (Soph.)
Backup: Sam Whitney (Sr.)

Also have Juco interior guy Divine Obecheri (.8600), true freshman Herbert Gums (0.8636), Aisa Kelemete (ranked best player in Idaho 2017) at DE along with Jabari Watson who's a senior that's played both DE and DT.  If the two-deep stays healthy - this defensive line should be pretty good.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

JFC, the entire reason why LB is worrisome is because players ended up starting who had no business playing D1 football.  As far as DL goes.  Meh.  We have high end D1 talent replacing the guys we lost.  I am less worried about LB now because it looks like we shored it up with a real D1 LB in our grad transfer.

JFC   Only THREE linebackers started last season for Boise State.  Namely Riley Whimpey, Ezekiel Noa and Benton Wickersham.    So which of those three are you referring to here as "players ended up STARTING who had no business playing D1 football"?

Here is the player participation list for linebackers for Boise State for 2019 - listed here by their projected class year for 2020 - just in case FACTS matter at all.

WLB    Whimpey, Riley - 4th year Senior -  14 games - 14 Starts (Florida State, Marshall, Portland State, Air Force, U.N.L.V., Hawaii, B.Y.U., San Jose State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Washington)
WLB    Hawkins, Brandon - RS Sophomore -  14 games - 0 Starts
WLB     Provenzano, Nick - RS Senior (Walk-on) -14 games - 0 Starts
WLB     Crowe, Tyler  - RS Freshman (Walk-on) -  1 game - 0 Starts
-------------------------------------------------
MLB    Noa, Ezekiel  - RS Junior -  4 games - 4 Starts (Florida State, Marshall, Portland State, Air Force)
MLB     Wickersham, Benton - 4th year Senior -   14 games - 10 Starts (U.N.L.V., Hawaii, B.Y.U., San Jose State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Washington)
MLB    DeRose, Bruno - RS Senior -  14 games - 0 Starts
MLB    Schramm, DJ - RS Sophomore -  9 games - 0 Starts
MLB     Mills, Phillip  - RS Sophomore -   2 games - 0 Starts
MLB    Booker-Brown, Josh - RS Junior - 0 games - 0 Starts

15 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

So which of those three are you referring to here as "players ended up STARTING who had no business playing D1 football"?

He's referring to #25.  I disagree with the language used (no business playing D1).  But he was exposed at times and other times appeared to be not giving 100%.

See 0:35 and 0:55 seconds in on this highlight reel for some examples.

5 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

worry.jpg

I'm not worried about the defensive line. There's a decent chance they'll be the best defensive line in the MWC

On 1/21/2020 at 6:42 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That's the thing too, not to just fill spots.  I think part of the problem at LB has been recruiting.  Probably the only position where that is the case.  We are loaded at STUD and the first two LB's are pretty good in Whimpey and Noa.  Being able to bring in somebody like Miller who is a better athlete then the rest of the LB's on the roster is huge.  He has the quickness of Hawkins but at 240 lbs.  A step faster than Noa.  He and JBB will provide depth at the position we sorely needed last year.

Well, shit...