Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

One of the two new Boise State commits today

3 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

Grad transfer from North Carolina State

https://gopack.com/sports/football/roster/brock-miller/8648

With the stacked NC State linebacker group currently slated to compete for snaps in 2020, the move is probably the best to maximize Miller’s playing time in his final year of collegiate play. Despite starting 11 games, Miller’s playing time decreased over the last half of the season as redshirt-freshman Payton Wilson and true-freshman Jaylon Scott started receiving more snaps. With USC transfer Vi Jones entering the mix this fall, playing time was only going to get tougher to come by.

-backingthepack.com

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yep.  He is going to need a few years in the program to add some weight to that massive frame but when he does he is going to be a stud, huge upside and he seems like a great kid.  Remarkably mature.  I bet he becomes a fan favorite ala Tad Miller.

10 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That grad transfer pickup is critical.  If not a starter he will certainly provide immediate depth.  

It definitely helps but I don't see it as critical - as you apparently do.  Fact is after Mills left the team Boise State still had seven linebackers on scholarships as well as a handful of walk-on linebackers - some of which had seen playing time.   And there are only 2 linebacker spots on the BSU defense (Will and Mike).   7 scholarship LB's for 2 LB spots seems just fine (depth wise) to me. 

I do think it's great that they got an experienced linebacker to replace Mills tho.  Mills, like several other Boise State players, had had zero results in their time at Boise State.  He played in only two games last fall and had no stats at all.   Better to have someone on the team who has proven they can do the job.  The bad part is he has only one year at Boise State UNLESS he is able to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility.  I took a look at his bio from NC State and that MAY be possible.  Have to wait and see how it plays out.

42 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

The bad part is he has only one year at Boise State UNLESS he is able to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility.  I took a look at his bio from NC State and that MAY be possible.  Have to wait and see how it plays out.

It looks like to me he played in 6 games in 2017 - so his season ending injury wouldn't qualify. I'm pretty sure he's only got one year.  Linebacker is probably the toughest position to stay healthy at all season - so need lots of depth there.

2 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

It definitely helps but I don't see it as critical - as you apparently do.  Fact is after Mills left the team Boise State still had seven linebackers on scholarships as well as a handful of walk-on linebackers - some of which had seen playing time.   And there are only 2 linebacker spots on the BSU defense (Will and Mike).   7 scholarship LB's for 2 LB spots seems just fine (depth wise) to me. 

I do think it's great that they got an experienced linebacker to replace Mills tho.  Mills, like several other Boise State players, had had zero results in their time at Boise State.  He played in only two games last fall and had no stats at all.   Better to have someone on the team who has proven they can do the job.  The bad part is he has only one year at Boise State UNLESS he is able to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility.  I took a look at his bio from NC State and that MAY be possible.  Have to wait and see how it plays out.

With the injuries we have had at the position, the scholarship numbers were giving me little comfort.  I never want to be in a position next year where two walk on LB'er are forced to play and become an instant targeted weakness on an otherwise outstanding defense.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

With the injuries we have had at the position, the scholarship numbers were giving me little comfort.  I never want to be in a position next year where two walk on LB'er are forced to play and become an instant targeted weakness on an otherwise outstanding defense.

I understand your sentiments but I think Boise State - now - has all kinds of depth at LB for 2020 - so take comfort with the following:

MLB - Benton Wickersham - 2020 SR - 11 Starts last three years - 10 starts last fall - RETURNING STARTER

MLB - Ezekiel Noa - 2020 RS JR - Started first 4 games last fall - before being injured for the rest of the season - He WAS the starter until he was injured

MLB - Bruno DeRose - 2020 RS SR - Played in all 14 games last fall

MLB - Josh Booker-Brown - RS JR - Redshirted last fall

MLB - D. J. Schramm - RS SO - Played in 8 games last fall

WLB - Riley Whimpey - 2020 SR - Started all 14 games last fall - Returning Starter

WLB - Brock Miller - 2020 RS SR - Transfer from N.C. State

WLB - Brandon Hawkins - 2020 RS SO - Played in all 14 games last fall

WLB - Nick Provenzano - 2020 RS SR - (Walk-on) Played in all 14 games last fall

WLB - Tyler Crowe - 2020 RS FR - (Walk-on) Played in 1 game last fall

What should be of concern is how many of the above are Seniors next fall - I count half of those players as Seniors next fall. 

49 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

I understand your sentiments but I think Boise State - now - has all kinds of depth at LB for 2020 - so take comfort with the following:

MLB - Benton Wickersham - 2020 SR - 11 Starts last three years - 10 starts last fall - RETURNING STARTER

MLB - Ezekiel Noa - 2020 RS JR - Started first 4 games last fall - before being injured for the rest of the season - He WAS the starter until he was injured

WLB - Riley Whimpey - 2020 SR - Started all 14 games last fall - Returning Starter

What should be of concern is how many of the above are Seniors next fall - I count half of those players as Seniors next fall. 

Here's the deal though.  Wickersham is probably the weakest link on the entire defense (See UW bowl game) at probably the most important position.  Noa may not be back to full speed next year coming off of the ACL (plus he was already a big dude at nearly 245).  I wouldn't be surprised if Miller or Whimpey slides to MLB with those two starting. JBB was scout POY so maybe he is the real deal as well.  Either way - we need more speed at the LB position to be successful vs. high level competition.

The fact that we only have 2 underclassman scholarship LB's is a concern like you mentioned too.  LB already has to be the biggest recruiting need for 2021.  And maybe even dude or two this signing class if they can bring in guys that will be ready as R-Fr.  But most of those dudes are already signed.  Probably JuCos and transfers for the next couple years, too.

9 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

Just having players does not cut it.  The group was the weak link last year and was looking weak again this year with the only two above average D1 players having question marks due to a history of injuries.

Noa and Whimpey are the only two players who have proven they can compete at a high level.

Not trying to offend here but you seem determined to be pessimistic about the Boise State linebackers.   If that is your choice then good luck with that.  I prefer to look at it optimistically.  I see four solid linebackers in Noa, Whimpey, Wickersham and Brandon Hawkins.  Plus the transfer from NC State (Miller) and Bruno DeRose and Josh Booker-Brown and D. J. Schramm as backups. 

However I do see a very big need to recruit at least 3 linebackers for 2021 (with all of those 2020 Senior linebackers). I checked out Miller's player participation at NC State from 2017 thru 2019 and there is no option for him to apply for a 6th year as he played in 6 games in 2017 and at least five games in 2018 ( I quit counting at 5) and he started most of the games last fall for NC State.  So he will have just one year at Boise State.

15 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Not trying to offend here but you seem determined to be pessimistic about the Boise State linebackers.   If that is your choice then good luck with that.  I prefer to look at it optimistically.  I see four solid linebackers in Noa, Whimpey, Wickersham and Brandon Hawkins.  Plus the transfer from NC State (Miller) and Bruno DeRose and Josh Booker-Brown and D. J. Schramm as backups. 

However I do see a very big need to recruit at least 3 linebackers for 2021 (with all of those 2020 Senior linebackers). I checked out Miller's player participation at NC State from 2017 thru 2019 and there is no option for him to apply for a 6th year as he played in 6 games in 2017 and at least five games in 2018 ( I quit counting at 5) and he started most of the games last fall for NC State.  So he will have just one year at Boise State.

K.  Wick and Hawkins have not shown "solid" in their career and neither look or play like D1 players, let alone like players on a top 25 team.  Hawkins may develop and show more but Wick won't.  LB was a critical need.  You disagree.  Cool.

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

K.  Wick and Hawkins have not shown "solid" in their career and neither look or play like D1 players, let alone like players on a top 25 team.  Hawkins may develop and show more but Wick won't.  LB was a critical need.  You disagree.  Cool.

I was in a course with both of them last semester. They both showed up early each class and were seemingly good students. Both of them seem like hard workers.

LB is definitely a position of need. Next season, multiple LBs are seniors. 2021 LB recruits won't be on the team until all of those LBs are gone. That means the new recruits won't have time to learn the system before they're possibly needed in the rotation. I'd prefer giving the next set of LBs more experience. Unfortunately, options are drying up. At this point, I wouldn't offer any LB scholarships unless it's a player with legitimate impact potential.

As the season progressed, the defensive scheme utilized only two LBs at times. That suggests that the coaching staff didn't view LBs as the strength of the defense. If the coaching staff did, why would they swap out LBs for extra DBs?

I agree with halfman on the need for more LBs