Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Officially on the 30-1 or 31-1 SDSU train now

16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I like Wyoming's new gym.

Speaking of Wyoming, we've dickslapped all the sherpas to date. Laramie's elevation: 7,165 feet. Result? Our second-largest MoV in Laramie ever. FoCo elevation: 5,003 feet. Result? our 22-point win was the largest MoV in 40 trips to FoCo. Logan elevation: 4,534 feet. Result? Aztecs end Utah St's 15-game home winning streak and apparently broke the Aggies.

Your puny twenty-seven hundred feet ain't nothing.

giphy.gif

The mighty Titans of Cal State Fullerton won in Laramie.  The Argentine Cowboys of UC Santa Barbara won last year.  Elevation!

UC Irvine won at Boise this year too.  Elevation!  It's kinda overblown for sea level folk.  Logan is a treehouse of horrors for us, but y'all just showed us the way

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

The mighty Titans of Cal State Fullerton won in Laramie.  The Argentine Cowboys of UC Santa Barbara won last year.  Elevation!

UC Irvine won at Boise this year too.  Elevation!  It's kinda overblown for sea level folk.  Logan is a treehouse of horrors for us, but y'all just showed us the way

El-a-va-tion! [clap] [clap] [clap-clap-clap]

Apparently the trick is to GTFO within 24 hours, as recent studies show most physiological effects don't set in until the 2nd or 3rd day.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

El-a-va-tion! [clap] [clap] [clap-clap-clap]

Apparently the trick is to GTFO within 24 hours, as recent studies show most physiological effects don't set in until the 2nd or 3rd day.

I was expecting you to go all U2 here.  Well done.

19 hours ago, happycamper said:

Only when SDSU loses. 

Gonzaga's top ~20% of games is a lot more impressive than SDSU's just based on names. That's the problem with using a simple mean. 

Understand the context of my response, which was to an assertion that SDSU’s “SOS was too weak for a #1 Seed”.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

50 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

Understand the context of my response, which was to an assertion that SDSU’s “SOS was too weak for a #1 Seed”.

I did. Understand a simple mean, wherein the average of 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, and 155 is the same as the average of 1, 2, 3, 302, 303, 304. Which SOS would you say is weaker or stronger here? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

SUDS still has to deal with their nemesis. Altitude poisoning.

basketball-durmitor.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop

You knuckleheads claim the same, or Weather...What you fail to realize is they get lots of time outs (in comparison to the old days) and both FB and BB they rotate players often.

How many games in the snow have the "Beach Boys" won- most. 

Try again, this time load first.

5 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

You knuckleheads claim the same, or Weather...What you fail to realize is they get lots of time outs (in comparison to the old days) and both FB and BB they rotate players often.

How many games in the snow have the "Beach Boys" won- most. 

Try again, this time load first.

Umm .. you must be talking to your SUDS brethren. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

22 hours ago, happycamper said:

Only when SDSU loses. 

Gonzaga's top ~20% of games is a lot more impressive than SDSU's just based on names. That's the problem with using a simple mean. 

And yet ESPN also ranks our tournament resume as the second-best in the nation (and better than Gonzaga's). Go figure.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-21-at-8-53-08-AM.png

10 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

And yet ESPN also ranks our tournament resume as the second-best in the nation (and better than Gonzaga's). Go figure.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-21-at-8-53-08-AM.png

God damn I hate talking with people who think they understand math but don't get what an average is. Congrats on figuring out how to sort by strength of record. Not sure how you think this disproves anything that I explicitly pointed out about the peril of just using a simple mean or why playing several excellent teams and many trash teams would be a stronger resume than playing just many trash teams.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, happycamper said:

God damn I hate talking with people who think they understand math but don't get what an average is. Congrats on figuring out how to sort by strength of record. Not sure how you think this disproves anything that I explicitly pointed out about the peril of just using a simple mean or why playing several excellent teams and many trash teams would be a stronger resume than playing just many trash teams.

Ffs I'm both a mathematician and a data scientist.

3mrp92.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Ffs I'm both a mathematician and a data scientist.

3mrp92.jpg

So why don't you apply your knowledge to something this basic? It's patently obvious that  for a given strength of schedule simple mean, a top heavy schedule provides a better resume even if you only look at the numbers, let alone all of the qualitative criteria that the committee uses. 

23 hours ago, happycamper said:

Only when SDSU loses. 

Playing a great team and losing is no virtue.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

Just now, AztecBill said:

Playing a great team and losing is no virtue.

Review Gonzaga's schedule homeskillet. 

Someone is fattening up on shitty teams.

Quad 1

SDSU 3-0

Gonzaga 3-1

Quad 2

SDSU 3-0

Gonzaga 1-0

Quad 3

SDSU 5-0

Gonzaga 8-0

Quad 4

SDSU 7-0

Gonzaga 8-0

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

So why don't you apply your knowledge to something this basic? It's patently obvious that  for a given strength of schedule simple mean, a top heavy schedule provides a better resume even if you only look at the numbers, let alone all of the qualitative criteria that the committee uses. 

Do you mean "basic" as in "I have to start with the basics" by explaining the difference to you between metrics-based reactive data modeling and "mean averages?"

Let me check my sked and see if I can circle a day  week on my calendar, 'cuz I got a feeling this is going to take some time...

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Do you mean "basic" as in "I have to start with the basics" by explaining the difference to you between metrics-based reactive data modeling and "mean averages?"

Let me check my sked and see if I can circle a day  week on my calendar, 'cuz I got a feeling this is going to take some time...

You think that SOS is a "metrics based reactive data modeling" analysis? Really?

Furthermore, you don't think that SOS uses the mean of the teams played?.

You don't know that a schedule playing some of the toughest teams and lots of trash provides a lot more useful data for ranking (resume) then just playing a bunch of teams in the middle (for the purposes of something like NCAA basketball anyway?

Finally, you don't know that the committee uses qualitative analysis? 

1 hour ago, nielsbohr said:

Someone is fattening up on shitty teams.

Quad 1

SDSU 3-0

Gonzaga 3-1

Quad 2

SDSU 3-0

Gonzaga 1-0

Quad 3

SDSU 5-0

Gonzaga 8-0

Quad 4

SDSU 7-0

Gonzaga 8-0

Good to know. I knew that Gonzaga played a lot better name teams than SDSU and given MW OOC I just assumed that SDSU had a typical OOC, Thanks!

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You think that SOS is a "metrics based reactive data modeling" analysis? Really?

You don't know that a schedule playing some of the toughest teams and lots of trash provides a lot more useful data for ranking (resume) then just playing a bunch of teams in the middle (for the purposes of something like NCAA basketball anyway?

Finally, you don't know that the committee uses qualitative analysis? 

No, but I am positing that SOR is. 

Regarding the underlined paragraph... english, please? :blink: Honestly Hap, Idk wtf you're trying to say here, let alone what obscure red herring-shaped point you're trying to make. 

As to your third question: yes, I am aware of that. Though as with the preceding paragraph Im not sure what your point is? :shrug:  As has been demonstrated above, a qualitative analysis also shows how much better the Aztec's resume is than Gonzaga's.

Just now, happycamper said:

I did. Understand a simple mean, wherein the average of 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, and 155 is the same as the average of 1, 2, 3, 302, 303, 304. Which SOS would you say is weaker or stronger here? 

Clearly you did not as you basically made my point with your rebuttal. 

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

No, but I am positing that SOR is. 

Regarding the underlined paragraph... english, please? :blink: Honestly Hap, Idk wtf you're trying to say here, let alone what obscure red herring-shaped point you're trying to make. 

As to your third question: yes, I am aware of that. Though as with the preceding paragraph Im not sure what your point is? :shrug:  As has been demonstrated above, a qualitative analysis also shows how much better the Aztec's resume is than Gonzaga's.

I'm with Happy. Look at just Quadrant 1 and 2 games. Gonzaga's quad 2 win is arguably SDSU's best Quad 1 game.  BYU home vs. away. Gonzaga has knocked off two top 16 teams (one on the road) while SDSU hasn't played a top 25 team.

Gonzaga:

Quad 1

W @ #11 Arizona

W vs. #16 Oregon (neutral)

W @ #47 Washington

L vs. #29 Michigan (neutral)

Quad 2

W vs. #37 BYU

SDSU:

Quad 1

W vs. #27 Iowa (neutral)

W vs. #33 Creighton