Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Officially on the 30-1 or 31-1 SDSU train now

USU had some  hope at an at large prior to last night. But that was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Now they would need to win out the rest of the regular season + at least make the MWT semis to have a shot. Kinda doubt they wont have at least one more slip up especially since they play SDSU on the road. 

So hears hoping for a 30-1 or 31-1 SDSU (first loss in semis or finals of MWT). That should equal a two seed in the NCAAT (SOS is gonna be too weak for a 1 seed). Don't get me wrong a 32-0 SDSU would be a one seed but I would rather just get two teams into the NCAAT.

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

Did fine @ Wyo. isn’t that the highest?

Yes. Arena Arena still has missing Aztec remains under the basketball court. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

USU had some  hope at an at large prior to last night. But that was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Now they would need to win out the rest of the regular season + at least make the MWT semis to have a shot. Kinda doubt they wont have at least one more slip up especially since they play SDSU on the road. 

So hears hoping for a 30-1 or 31-1 SDSU (first loss in semis or finals of MWT). That should equal a two seed in the NCAAT (SOS is gonna be too weak for a 1 seed). Don't get me wrong a 32-0 SDSU would be a one seed but I would rather just get two teams into the NCAAT.

Our record will be what it will be, but for the record, SOS is but one factor in determining Strength of Resume, and by more than one metric - including ESPN's SOR - we are deserving of a 1-seed. ESPN has us as the #1 tournament resume, NET - the NCAA's primary seeding metric - has us as #2 in the nation, and other metrics (e.g., ELO, Rothman, et al) we are ranked as either the #1 or #2 team in the country. T-rank has vacillated between a 1-seed and a 2-seed for over a month now.

Now, all that being said, if the selection committee were meeting today, Gonzaga would in all likelihood receive the 1-seed in the West, and we'd either be placed as a 2-seed in the West (my preference) or a 1-seed in the Midwest or South (as per Palm's brackets).

Unfortunately, the rest of the conference is so weak (no other teams above 100 in tomorrow's NET rankings) that I'm not sure we could absorb a loss in the MWCT without it hurting our seeding, as the conference gets zero respect (and frankly doesn't deserve much, if any). So I'm still on the undefeated train at the moment.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

If someone gets hot (UNLV? Boise? CSU?) between now and the MWCT and could possibly win a game in the Dance, and iff we could still be guaranteed a high seed (no worse than #2 in the West), then yeah, I could totally live with a loss in the MWCT final. But that's wholly conditional of a second MWC team catching fire enough to possibly win a game.

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Our record will be what it will be, but for the record, SOS is but one factor in determining Strength of Resume, and by more than one metric - including ESPN's SOR - we are deserving of a 1-seed. ESPN has us as the #1 tournament resume, NET - the NCAA's primary seeding metric - has us as #2 in the nation, and other metrics (e.g., ELO, Rothman, et al) we are ranked as either the #1 or #2 team in the country. T-rank has vacillated between a 1-seed and a 2-seed for over a month now.

Now, all that being said, if the selection committee were meeting today, Gonzaga would in all likelihood receive the 1-seed in the West, and we'd either be placed as a 2-seed in the West (my preference) or a 1-seed in the Midwest or South (as per Palm's brackets).

Unfortunately, the rest of the conference is so weak (no other teams above 100 in tomorrow's NET rankings) that I'm not sure we could absorb a loss in the MWCT without it hurting our seeding, as the conference gets zero respect (and frankly doesn't deserve much, if any). So I'm still on the undefeated train at the moment.

Stay on the undefeated train as long as possible.  Last time one of ya's ran the table was 1991 and UNLV went to a Final Four.  It doesn't come around often so keep chugging on.

7 hours ago, thedude15 said:

SOS per ESPN: Gonzaga 157; SDSU 152

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

The Aztecs have gotten to the Sweet 16 twice but no further. Therefore, although this team has the ability to get to the Elite Eight. going undefeated only to lose in the second round of the dance would result in a disappointing season. For the benefit of the conference, if we're going to lose before the NCAAs, I would hope it's in the finals of the UNLV Invitational. That should still get us a 2 seed and keep us out West.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The Aztecs have gotten to the Sweet 16 twice but no further. Therefore, although this team has the ability to get to the Elite Eight. going undefeated only to lose in the second round of the dance would result in a disappointing season. For the benefit of the conference, if we're going to lose before the NCAAs, I would hope it's in the finals of the UNLV Invitational. That should still get us a 2 seed and keep us out West.

13 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

SUDS still has to deal with their nemesis. Altitude poisoning.

basketball-durmitor.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop

I like Wyoming's new gym.

Speaking of Wyoming, we've dickslapped all the sherpas to date. Laramie's elevation: 7,165 feet. Result? Our second-largest MoV in Laramie ever. FoCo elevation: 5,003 feet. Result? our 22-point win was the largest MoV in 40 trips to FoCo. Logan elevation: 4,534 feet. Result? Aztecs end Utah St's 15-game home winning streak and apparently broke the Aggies.

Your puny twenty-seven hundred feet ain't nothing.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Just don’t flame out like we did last year. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Just don’t flame out like we did last year. 

The MWC having their tournament ending a week and a half ahead of the Dance is an advantage IMO. It lets players get a good rest after a long season. There may be some rust, but rest is better than rust. Nevada could have used it last year. They were drained going into the Dance. 

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The MWC having their tournament ending a week and a half ahead of the Dance is an advantage IMO. It lets players get a good rest after a long season. There may be some rust, but rest is better than rust. Nevada could have used it last year. They were drained going into the Dance. 

Nevada wasn’t nearly as deep last year as this Aztec team is.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

11 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I like Wyoming's new gym.

Speaking of Wyoming, we've dickslapped all the sherpas to date. Laramie's elevation: 7,165 feet. Result? Our second-largest MoV in Laramie ever. FoCo elevation: 5,003 feet. Result? our 22-point win was the largest MoV in 40 trips to FoCo. Logan elevation: 4,534 feet. Result? Aztecs end Utah St's 15-game home winning streak and apparently broke the Aggies.

Your puny twenty-seven hundred feet ain't nothing.

giphy.gif

I have that same sweater!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Did fine @ Wyo. isn’t that the highest?

Only when SDSU loses. 

18 hours ago, albert mac meda said:

SOS per ESPN: Gonzaga 157; SDSU 152

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

Gonzaga's top ~20% of games is a lot more impressive than SDSU's just based on names. That's the problem with using a simple mean. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Fair point. It also removes the "benefit" of SDSU losing in the semis of the MWT. It seems like every year they is a team that just looks tired headed into the NCAAT and sometimes top seeds are actually better losing before the finals of the conference tourney. But with the week and a half break there would be more than enough time for recovery.