Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Remember When Trump Called Puerto Rico’s Government Corrupt?

34 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Unless there's a guy sitting in there bouncing up and down on all his cots while celebrating with bottled water, this doesn't sound like corruption. Sounds more like awful organization and incompetence. 

Yeah, this seems more of a case of Hanlon's razor than anything...

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

1 hour ago, I am Ram said:

Unless there's a guy sitting in there bouncing up and down on all his cots while celebrating with bottled water, this doesn't sound like corruption. Sounds more like awful organization and incompetence. 

So someone just forgot there was a warehouse full of stuff that could help ease the suffering? I call bullshit. Someone knew it was there, they just didn't give a shit.

29 minutes ago, sean327 said:

So someone just forgot there was a warehouse full of stuff that could help ease the suffering? I call bullshit. Someone knew it was there, they just didn't give a shit.

Right, could well be. But corruption requires someone to benefit personally. They didn't sell the stuff to the highest bidder, which is what a corrupt official would probably do. Just letting stuff sit around in a warehouse doesn't make sense from a corruption angle. Unless they decided that it might be safer to sell the equipment in a future disaster (which tend to happen in PR fairly regularly after all). But that doesn't sound terrible plausible.

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

This was well known by anyone who did relief work down there.  It is amazing the callousness of humans towards one another.

Un-+++++ing-believable.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Right, could well be. But corruption requires someone to benefit personally. They didn't sell the stuff to the highest bidder, which is what a corrupt official would probably do. Just letting stuff sit around in a warehouse doesn't make sense from a corruption angle. Unless they decided that it might be safer to sell the equipment in a future disaster (which tend to happen in PR fairly regularly after all). But that doesn't sound terrible plausible.

This  is just malfeasance. 

This is corruption

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/us/puerto-rico-corruption.html

I will bet my next years salary that these incidences are just the tip of the iceberg.  PR is rotten and corrupt.  Always has been.

But Orange man bad

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Yeah pr has some +++++ed up leadership. Not news really. Totally justifies withholding aid from Americans cuz some people at the top suck. Or you know you could have better oversight like you would anywhere else. 

Lol @ making this some sort of trump thing. 

TDS, indeed.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 hours ago, tspoke said:

Yeah pr has some +++++ed up leadership. Not news really. Totally justifies withholding aid from Americans cuz some people at the top suck. Or you know you could have better oversight like you would anywhere else. 

FEMA's reach only goes so far.  The state still holds sovereignty. 

Govt incompetance breeds corruption....the folks who need help dont care much which. The result is the same and there should be little difference in the consequences.

As usual no one will be held accountable.  Not the bureaucrat...not the warehouse landlord getting a $100k per month rent and paying the kickback.

Its just Washington DC style corruption on steroids.

6 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Govt incompetance breeds corruption....the folks who need help dont care much which. The result is the same and there should be little difference in the consequences.

As usual no one will be held accountable.  Not the bureaucrat...not the warehouse landlord getting a $100k per month rent and paying the kickback.

Its just Washington DC style corruption on steroids.

Disagree. Some people are too incompetent to even be corrupt.