Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ltcpilot

Air Force vs CSU

Who will? Who won’t? Who shows up? Time for Air Force vs Colorado State 2020 Part 1

More at https://bit.ly/30Ms9xP

Big questions surround this game and big rewards to the team that can answer those questions.  Both teams enter this game tied for 5th in the MWC and only 1 game out of 3rd place.  The Falcons (9-9/3-3) coming off a hard fought win at Clune Arena over Boise State while the Rams (12-7/3-3) arrive to the Academy after a blasting of New Mexico at home in Ft Collins. In a game of a seasoned AF roster versus youth in CSU it will be an interesting matchup. 

(Note:  Coach's vs Cancer game for the Falcons today and Coach Dave Pilipovich and his wife Kelly are giving $1 for each ticket sold to the game. Read more here https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-basketball-coach-dave-pilipovich-aims-to-combat-colorado/article_15b155a0-3982-11ea-91aa-677ade092edf.html  )

CSU is led by by 4 in double figures with Stevens 6’0” Fr guard averaging 13.1ppg/4.6apg, Sr center Carvacho 12.5ppg/10.7rpg, Roddy 6’5”/250# Fr G 11.3ppg/5.7rpg and Thistlewood 6’7” So F 10ppg.  Whew, a tough lineup to contend with combining height with size with quickness.   Overall an average 3 pt shooting team their 35.3% long ball average was boosted by an exceptional 19-28/67.9% shooting effort in the win over New Mexico.   

af%2Bcsu%2Bjan.PNG

The Falcons will have to find a way to bring back their consistency from the arc while attacking inside to win this game on offense while defending the arc on defense.  While they are averaging 40% 3pt shooting on the season, they have dropped to 32%, 28% and 31% in their last three games.  Good news is they are close to 50% FG overall in the last three games (2-1) going aggressively inside.  We need to continue to do this and not be intimidated by the CSU bigs.  Defensively everyone knows historically that the 3pt arc has been friendly to visiting teams, and CSU showed in the win over NM they have the potential to explode from the arc.  Defense needs to continue to be the mainstay of this game for the Falcons.  

So 'Who Will' play defense and defend the arc vs 'Who Will' hit from the long ball? 'Who won't' give up points in the paint and won't give open looks to the offense?  'Who will' show up from the Cadet Wing to support Air Force vs CSU?  Time will tell. 

GO FALCONS BEAT CSU 

CONGRATS TO AIR FORCE HOCKEY in win over Niagara https://gazette.com/sports/late-goal-review-goes-air-force-hockey-s-way-in/article_dbb3528a-399b-11ea-b0c2-27cfb8ec9d05.html

..GO FALCONS..

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

I think Rams' Basketball is finally high enough off the ground to hit the radar. They might be the one to keep a sharp eye on through the rest of the season.

I know it sounds very cliche but their focus this year has been to get better every game and every practice.  The trajectory has been good since Roddy was moved to the starting lineup. We’ll see if it continues today.

28 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I know it sounds very cliche but their focus this year has been to get better every game and every practice.  The trajectory has been good since Roddy was moved to the starting lineup. We’ll see if it continues today.

Will be interesting to see CSU's three young guys (2xFr and 1xSo) react on defense to the backcourt cuts of AF still running with the Princeton Principles on offense. 

..GO FALCONS..

22 minutes ago, ltcpilot said:

Will be interesting to see CSU's three young guys (2xFr and 1xSo) react on defense to the backcourt cuts of AF still running with the Princeton Principles on offense. 

Thats always a challenge. Good news is that CSU under Medved looks to have a pretty good understanding of how to defend those Princeton principles.

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

That Roddy is going to be a problem the next 4years, I really like his game.

What a game for the Rams. Sloppy, but they still won it. Really like the direction of the program and this team in general. I feel like other than SDSU, the Rams can probably beat anybody on a given night if they play well.

Free throws are still an issue, but I like the defense that I've been seeing. Really liking Niko Medved if they continue to improve.

28 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Hope they have another carvacho next year. 

We won’t. We’ll add a redshirt freshman big to the mix named James Moors. We have a 7-foot prep coming but he tore his ACL a week or so ago and will probably have to redshirt.

2 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

We won’t. We’ll add a redshirt freshman big to the mix named James Moors. We have a 7-foot prep coming but he tore his ACL a week or so ago and will probably have to redshirt.

Hopefully Moors is that guy. Carvacho has improved tremendously over the last three years. 

2 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Hopefully Moors is that guy. Carvacho has improved tremendously over the last three years. 

Moors will be good in a few years but he wont be another Carvacho. By the time Nico graduates he’ll be somewhere in the 20-25 range on the Career NCAA Rebounding list. He passed Big Country Reeves today and moved into 54th.

6 hours ago, wyo 1 said:

That Roddy is going to be a problem the next 4years, I really like his game.

Roddy had a pretty solid game at Duke at the beginning of the season. After the game Iwas in the lobby with one of the assistants and his phone was filling up with texts from P5 coaches wondering how the heck they whiffed on Roddy.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Moors will be good in a few years but he wont be another Carvacho. By the time Nico graduates he’ll be somewhere in the 20-25 range on the Career NCAA Rebounding list. He passed Big Country Reeves today and moved into 54th.

He's got 1163, one shy of Jordan Caroline.  He'll get that on Wednesday.

14 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Roddy had a pretty solid game at Duke at the beginning of the season. After the game Iwas in the lobby with one of the assistants and his phone was filling up with texts from P5 coaches wondering how the heck they whiffed on Roddy.

What do you think Swoll?  21+ wins this season?

Really liked what I saw yesterday.  Roddy is a stud and our guard play is some of the best I've seen in a while.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

21 minutes ago, Scooter said:

What do you think Swoll?  21+ wins this season?

Really liked what I saw yesterday.  Roddy is a stud and our guard play is some of the best I've seen in a while.

21 would be an amazing year for this team. I always though 18 would be a good number with such an inexperienced team. I’m ecstatic with where the program is headed.  Stevens and Roddy have been amazing.

218F0D4B-54A0-4AD8-946C-25561A2906C3.jpeg

21 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

21 would be an amazing year for this team. I always though 18 would be a good number with such an inexperienced team. I’m ecstatic with where the program is headed.  Stevens and Roddy have been amazing.

That's a sweet pic.  Nice throwback uni's!

I could see 19-20 wins reg season and then a win or two in the tournament.  I need to get up there and go to a game.  I'm thrilled we are even talking about the chance at 20+ wins.  Very happy to see Medved turning this thing around.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg