Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think the talk of leaving conferences is premature. This looks more like posturing. We'll see where we're at after five years.

It may or may not be.  If Boise wants to leave now is their chance with the AAC opening.   Assuming of course the AAC wants them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Any "options" Boise State might have will come down to how much they actually move the needle with ESPN. An independent Boise State is definitely less attractive to a network. The AAC's deal with ESPN is done and favors ESPN, so a reopening of that deal is unlikely which means the AAC adding a member would dilute the split. Boise State could negotiate a side deal with ESPN and agree to forego all or a part of an AAC revenue split, as long as the AAC is okay with that, which I don't think is likely either.

Kind of looks like Boise State brought their checkers to a chess match...

True though ESPN might want the 7:30 time slot.   The question is who in the west wants to watch Boise play Tulane.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think the talk of leaving conferences is premature. This looks more like posturing. We'll see where we're at after five years.

Yep. Some donors got their panties in a wad and had access to Apsey. He's just trying to publically appease their ire while basically doing nothing for the moment about something seven years down the road.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Right but the Big East added UConn, a long time historical rival.   A better analogy would be the Big East’s refusal to add Wichita State who is a close analogy both academically and performance wise to Boise State.  

Point being, I think the WCC would now at least consider expanding to 11 schools.  But it would depend on the right school.  Big East has made a good case for 11 schools.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

True though ESPN might want the 7:30 time slot.   The question is who in the west wants to watch Boise play Tulane.   

Good point.

ESPN now has BYU and a half of the PAC12 games to fill their programming.   Not sure if they want more content and would facilitate a Boise deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Right but the Big East added UConn, a long time historical rival.   A better analogy would be the Big East’s refusal to add Wichita State who is a close analogy both academically and performance wise to Boise State.  

Wichita State wasn’t refused by the BE. The BE is a Catholic school league. Wichita State isn’t Catholic. UConn was an exception born out of history and a push toward regionalism and a 20 game schedule. Likewise, Wichita State found their regional ride.

If there is expansion beyond 12 (which Fox made a pro rata provision for) it will likely be a jesuit school (Dayton most likely)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Wichita State wasn’t refused by the BE. The BE is a Catholic school league. Wichita State isn’t Catholic. UConn was an exception born out of history and a push toward regionalism and a 20 game schedule. Likewise, Wichita State found their regional ride.

If there is expansion beyond 12 (which Fox made a pro rata provision for) it will likely be a jesuit school (Dayton most likely)

UConn leaving has been devastating for the prestige and income of the AAC.

Looks like ESPN is now lowering the AAC TV contract due to UConn bolting.  AAC is under extreme pressure to get back to 12 schools after a 2 year waiver expires.  Their plan was supposedly adding Air Force or Colorado State.  That looks like it isn't going anywhere and so the AAC is now looking at CUSA (traditional base).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, #1Stunner said:

UConn leaving has been devastating for the prestige and income of the AAC.

Looks like ESPN is now lowering the AAC TV contract due to UConn bolting.  AAC is under extreme pressure to get back to 12 schools after a 2 year waiver expires.  Their plan was supposedly adding Air Force or Colorado State.  That looks like it isn't going anywhere and so the AAC is now looking at CUSA (traditional base).

Gonzaga wasn’t rejected by the BE either. While they are Jesuit they simply fell way too outside the box to be that 11th team for that 20 game sched.

The AAC actually got bailed out with UConn, being that they have been a perennial bottom tier team like SJSU. Losing their all time great coach has devastated UConns performance and brand, imo.

ESPN is the puppet master. Just like they did with the Big 12, they are being judicious with what to do with that 12th spot (if their is one). 

 

  • Idiot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Right but the Big East added UConn, a long time historical rival.   A better analogy would be the Big East’s refusal to add Wichita State who is a close analogy both academically and performance wise to Boise State.  

Boise State to the WCC is a non starter anyone who says differently has no idea what they are talking about.

More likely would be the WAC which would be basically writing off every program except Football.

+++++ that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Boise State to the WCC is a non starter anyone who says differently has no idea what they are talking about.

More likely would be the WAC which would be basically writing off every program except Football.

+++++ that.

Is the WCC looking at going to 11 teams with the push toward 20 game schedules?

I know that Hair wants to lock the MWC teams into 20 games, which is scaring the bejesus out of SDSU,

The WCC would be the dream scenario with their ESPN relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Wichita State wasn’t refused by the BE. The BE is a Catholic school league. Wichita State isn’t Catholic. UConn was an exception born out of history and a push toward regionalism and a 20 game schedule. Likewise, Wichita State found their regional ride.

If there is expansion beyond 12 (which Fox made a pro rata provision for) it will likely be a jesuit school (Dayton most likely)

Reading?   I said the Big East’s refusal to add Wichita State. 
 

Both the Big East and the WCC are private, mostly religious based institutions with good to very good academic reputation.   Both Boise State and Wichita State are public institutions with poor academic reputations.  It’s a pretty accurate analogy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when asked the MWC commish should have just said 'we'll reevaluate our deal with Boise in 4-5 years when renegotiation conversations begin' there was zero need to shoot a bb into BSU's ass right now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The situation is interesting.  I can’t recall where I saw it, but about a year ago Apsey was interviewed and asked about giving up the special provisions.  His answer was something to the effect of “if we don’t warrant it or the league does not want to provide it then we would be willing to broach the subject”. It wasn’t stated exactly that way but that was the inference I took away.

Hair likely didn’t come up with the idea of nixing the special provisions by himself. He works for the schools.  It’s likely this is emanating from the schools.  It strikes me as odd that the other schools would push this on Boise if the membership agreement was as iron clad as has been argued by Boise. Does anyone have the membership agreement?

Also, would the conference bylaws possibly take precedence over the membership agreement?  In other words could the schools change the bylaws to add a provision stating revenue is to be shared equally, etc thereby invalidating the specific clauses in the membership agreement?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

when asked the MWC commish should have just said 'we'll reevaluate our deal with Boise in 4-5 years when renegotiation conversations begin' there was zero need to shoot a bb into BSU's ass right now.

Perhaps or perhaps they wanted to put it on the public record in case BSU tried to sue for damages in 6 years that BSU was given ample warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“This is stated in our conference agreement and cannot be changed by any vote of the membership or conflicting agreement. We will not support any change to this provision and are in the process of weighing our options to move forward.”

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article239413553.html

 

This is not a conference partner.  BSU is acting a lot like U of Texas.

Going forward as long as BSU is in the MWC we negotiate media deals as a conference.  If BSU want's to move forward with a seperate deal with ESPN that is their choice and I wish them luck.  But I will not support this as a member of the MWC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fowl said:

The situation is interesting.  I can’t recall where I saw it, but about a year ago Apsey was interviewed and asked about giving up the special provisions.  His answer was something to the effect of “if we don’t warrant it or the league does not want to provide it then we would be willing to broach the subject”. It wasn’t stated exactly that way but that was the inference I took away.

Hair likely didn’t come up with the idea of nixing the special provisions by himself. He works for the schools.  It’s likely this is emanating from the schools.  It strikes me as odd that the other schools would push this on Boise if the membership agreement was as iron clad as has been argued by Boise. Does anyone have the membership agreement?

Also, would the conference bylaws possibly take precedence over the membership agreement?  In other words could the schools change the bylaws to add a provision stating revenue is to be shared equally, etc thereby invalidating the specific clauses in the membership agreement?

See the link about page 4,5, or 6 on the thread.   
 

No the conference by laws are specifically subservient to the agreement.   Not to rehash 5 pages of the thread but the main loop hole and potential leverage is around the applicability of Boise’s ownership of Television Broadcast Rights versus Web Video Streaming rights.   No where in the term sheet does it mention media rights as used by Apsey.   @Joe from WY or other board lawyers can opine on the strength of Boise’s legal case if the MWC choose to not agree to any Boise home game broadcast television deal and sold all Boise home games to Stadium as a web stream.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

   Not to rehash 5 pages of the thread but the main loop hole and potential leverage is around the applicability of Boise’s ownership of Television Broadcast Rights versus Web Streaming rights.  

Only in your mind is this the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Wichita State wasn’t refused by the BE. The BE is a Catholic school league. Wichita State isn’t Catholic. UConn was an exception born out of history and a push toward regionalism and a 20 game schedule. Likewise, Wichita State found their regional ride.

If there is expansion beyond 12 (which Fox made a pro rata provision for) it will likely be a jesuit school (Dayton most likely)

Dayton isnt Jesuit. And Butler isnt Catholic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

See the link about page 4,5, or 6 on the thread.   
 

No the conference by laws are specifically subservient to the agreement.   Not to rehash 5 pages of the thread but the main loop hole and potential leverage is around the applicability of Boise’s ownership of Television Broadcast Rights versus Web Video Streaming rights.   No where in the term sheet does it mention media rights as used by Apsey.   @Joe from WY or other board lawyers can opine on the strength of Boise’s legal case if the MWC choose to not agree to any Boise home game broadcast television deal and sold all Boise home games to Stadium as a web stream.  

That’s a term sheet. Once the actual membership agreement is signed the term sheet has no standing.  I’d like to see the actual membership agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fowl said:

That’s a term sheet. Once the actual membership agreement is signed the term sheet has no standing.  I’d like to see the actual membership agreement.

Of course but that isn’t publicly available.
 

All we have for discussion is the term sheet unless people want to sue BSU under the freedom of information act to get the agreement.   So at best we can view the term sheet and assume the actual agreement is consistent with it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×