Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Admirer from the East

MWC Boise Blues

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

College sports is an entertainment business but at the end of the day entertainment value comes from winning. Boise has won more and if they keep winning they deserve more.

But why should Harsin be paid more for winning 8 games and being mediocre when say the Colorado State coach wins 10 games and is an excellent coach.   Same goes for the assistants.   

If you want to put in a payout driven off ratings I wouldn’t object.  But I would argue it’s a backward looking metric.   Winning is looking forward but perhaps a bonus for P5 wins would make sense. 

I'm not sure CSU was your best choice to try to make a point about winning programs. I don't think administrators are looking at coaches for a one year pop. I believe most want sustained success and they are willing to pay for that success. 

Screenshot_2020-01-18 Winsipedia - Colorado State Rams football all-time record, wins, and statistics.png

4 hours ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Hair Thompson would not just throw that out there.

Hair is likely looking at the NY6 representation over the last 6 years, and feels strongly that uneven revenue distribution has hamstrung the non-blue teams.

Hairs latest revelation is an attempt to reshape the competitive balance of the league.

Hair likely heard Bryan Harsin speak about the conference needing to be more Boise centric, and Hair is flexing his muscles with these media negotiations to ensure he nips it in the bud.

Hair hamstrung the Mountain West prior to Boise State.  Just ask BYU, TCU, Utah, CSU, Wyoming and Air Force how enamoured they were with their original media rights under Thompson. When Boise came on board so did ESPN.

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Any chance Boise gets an Ivy League invite?

About as much as Colorado State having long term football success.

7 hours ago, edluvar said:

Dallas 

Houston 

New Orleans 

tulsa

Annapolis 

these are the west teams    Not bad cities imo   

Three out of five pretty much suck. Houston is a gang infested, unplanned mess. N.O. is probably the only 3rd world city in the U.S. Tulsa, well we only took Oklahoma back because it had oil.

Dallas and Annapolis are the only cities I'd care to revisit, but even Annapolis is basically a smallish, nice, historic downtown waterfront spot stuck in the middle of sh-tty Anne Arundel County.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

6 hours ago, edluvar said:

Navy can eat chit.  They have their own special TV deal outside of the AAC.    Over a barrel?   Outside of BSU what has any MWC team done that is noteworthy in the playoff BCS era?   Hawaii got blown out in the Sugar Bowl.   There has been a serious lack of competitiveness in the MWC on the national stage outside of BSU.    

And?

2 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Don't be a dick. You could be our travel partner in the PAC14.  With an Idaho and Nevada school the PAC would lock up the west. UNLV is a much more attractive school to the PAC than Nevada.

:lol:

Maybe I missed this....

Everyone is concentrating on the media agreement, but there also has to be a conference membership agreement as well.  What are the MWC requirements to remove a school from the conference?  I assume the media deal is irrelevant if a school is asked to leave the conference?

14 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

The BYU way???? Lawsuit???? Doesnt the AAC need a FB team?

1. You mean join the Big West for all sports except FB?  Really?

2. Lawsuit looks like a longshot IMO.

3.  AAC would be a huge difference in travel, expecially if MWC schools stop scheduling Boise.  And think of all the great rivalries they would have?:wacko:

If they want to leave, give them some nuts for the road and say hasta la vista baby.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

I’d rather give up the extra $$ than split our programs up and have to play a bunch of former CUSA teams that I couldn’t care less about.

No +++++ing way do I want to give up our games with USU/Wyo etc. Things are just starting to get good in the MWC.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

I’d rather give up the extra $$ than split our programs up and have to play a bunch of former CUSA teams that I couldn’t care less about.

No +++++ing way do I want to give up our games with USU/Wyo etc. Things are just starting to get good in the MWC.

I agree with this. Boise belongs in a western conference.

Guest #1Stunner
9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

We shall see.  Apsey’s comments specifically refer to “media rights” which hints at web streaming being core to the leverage going forward..

"The Mountain West stated that this was the last time our deal would be negotiated separately," Boise State said in Friday's statement. "However, Boise State’s decision to join the conference was predicated on a number of negotiated provisions, including the right to separately negotiate material terms of media rights relating to our home (football) games.

Wow.

Boise Officials are enraged and "weighing their options".

Guest #1Stunner

Not sure what leverage Boise has.

I guess they could try and go Indy and join the WCC (BYU would be in favor, but not sure about the rest of the Conference).  WAC is always an option...

But I'm not sure if they could be successful as an Indy since they dropped their ESPN affiliation.

Other option would be Football only to the AAC (but then they'd lose their right to have their own TV deal).

Boise fans have not been happy being placed in the cold weather, Mountain division.

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The WCC would give their left nut to get Air Force.

I think you are probably right about this.  

WCC would jump at adding Air Force if the opportunity arose.

WCC tries to be a poor man's Big East.  The fact that the Big East just added a public University and expanded to 11 schools might make the WCC more open to adding 1 more school.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think you are probably right about this.  

WCC would jump at adding Air Force if the opportunity arose.

WCC tries to be a poor man's Big East.  The fact that the Big East just added a public University and expanded to 11 schools might make the WCC more open to adding 1 more school.

Right but the Big East added UConn, a long time historical rival.   A better analogy would be the Big East’s refusal to add Wichita State who is a close analogy both academically and performance wise to Boise State.  

Any "options" Boise State might have will come down to how much they actually move the needle with ESPN. An independent Boise State is definitely less attractive to a network. The AAC's deal with ESPN is done and favors ESPN, so a reopening of that deal is unlikely which means the AAC adding a member would dilute the split. Boise State could negotiate a side deal with ESPN and agree to forego all or a part of an AAC revenue split, as long as the AAC is okay with that, which I don't think is likely either.

Kind of looks like Boise State brought their checkers to a chess match...

3 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think the talk of leaving conferences is premature. This looks more like posturing. We'll see where we're at after five years.

It may or may not be.  If Boise wants to leave now is their chance with the AAC opening.   Assuming of course the AAC wants them.