Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Admirer from the East

MWC Boise Blues

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think the MWC needs to be careful in how they handle it.  The last time a conference thought they were going to outmaneuver Boise, Boise took Fresno, Nevada, Hawaii and sent Idaho to the FCS.  Boise could sue and would win, probably picking their compensation (20 mil?), and could try and entice other schools to leave with them as they have done twice before.  That is a big risk that must be considered and only a fool would assume there is no way it could happen.

That situation is no longer relevant.  Then, MWC membership was coveted and tough to get in.  Now that the WAC is gone and everyone is in the MWC, there are no better conference options.  The only remotely entertaining one is AAC, but why the hell would Fresno, Nevada, SDSU and Hawaii want to spend their time watching BSU and UCF fans suck each other off?   

4 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

That situation is no longer relevant.  Then, MWC membership was coveted and tough to get in.  Now that the WAC is gone and everyone is in the MWC, there are no better conference options.  The only remotely entertaining one is AAC, but why the hell would Fresno, Nevada, SDSU and Hawaii want to spend their time watching BSU and UCF fans suck each other off?   

Better than watching Boise fans autofilate?  

Boise could make a pitch to Aresco to bring a combination of SDSU, AFA, CSU and UNLV and I think all those schools would heavily consider it.

Nothing needs to be resolved immediately and there will be discussions moving forward, there will be points and counter points between now and 2026 from both the Conference and Boise State.  I highly doubt any of those discussions will take place in public view.

President Tromp and Boise State, like every university will study their options and choose what is best for the university. Their will be no "airport meeting" with Boise State and others slinking off into the night. 

Craig Thompson works for the MWC Board of Directors and the Board has has voted they would like to see the carve out for Boise ended. Every member of the MWC Board is a new member since the original agreement was signed. Thompson put out what the Board instructed him to do.  If you look at his actual words he chose them very carefully.  

Boise State in turn put out their position so it would be known to all they have not agreed with the MWC Board of Directors.  

What will be the end result? No one knows at this juncture.

Boise State's home games will be on Fox Sports and their away games on CBS Sports for the next six years unless they received an invite to a P5 conference, just as any other team in the MWC would jump if invited They will continue to receive the bonus payout through the terms of this agreement. 

Boise turned down the Big East in part because of the travel and they were told their brand had value. Will that value be there if they remain in the G5 in 2026? Only time will tell.

51 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

UConn being in the aac is what dropped their brand. A few years in the big east and they will be right back to where they were. 

The AAC is a good basketball league. Losing Jim Calhoun created UConns plight. If Gonzaga can hone a brand in the WCC, UConn has no excuse for their crash except picking the wrong guy to follow that man. It’s not like it’s the first time we’ve seen that movie.

If UConn replicates what Calhoun did, the AAC only benefits because they’ve beaten them so bad for so long. That being said, how many schools find 2 Jim Calhouns? It just doesn’t happen like that. The schools that follow a great with a great usually poach a guy that’s already great (ie UNC poaching Williams, and Kansas poaching an already accomplished Bill Self). They don’t get the Rhody coach.

57 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

UConn being in the aac is what dropped their brand. A few years in the big east and they will be right back to where they were. 

Not likely.  The BE is much stronger than the AAC and UConn is far from dominating.  Calhoun to UConn was like Tark to UNLV.  Their replacements put them in a continual downward spiral.  

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

Gone.  New Sheriff in town.

New sheriff same as the old sheriff.

6-10 conference record in football first two seasons in the Big Sky.

3-23 conference record in basketball since joining the Big Sky.

Better downsize the new ICCU Arena before completion next season.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Better than watching Boise fans autofilate?  

Boise could make a pitch to Aresco to bring a combination of SDSU, AFA, CSU and UNLV and I think all those schools would heavily consider it.

This isn't a 1 way street, the AAC schools have to want new members as well.  Assuming the AAC wanted BSU, do you think Cincy, Houston, South Florida, Temple, Tulane and UCF a/k/a New BSU, would be interested in having you bring uninvited guests?

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think the MWC needs to be careful in how they handle it.  The last time a conference thought they were going to outmaneuver Boise, Boise took Fresno, Nevada, Hawaii and sent Idaho to the FCS.  Boise could sue and would win, probably picking their compensation (20 mil?), and could try and entice other schools to leave with them as they have done twice before.  That is a big risk that must be considered and only a fool would assume there is no way it could happen.

If both sides dig in there is a risk this could happen. The conference has pressure from all the other members for a more equal split and Boise needs to make sure it’s getting the most it can. As a Wyoming fan I have a low risk tolerance for this type of brinksmanship. If the conference implodes we are going to at best end up in C-USA. 

46 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

This isn't a 1 way street, the AAC schools have to want new members as well.  Assuming the AAC wanted BSU, do you think Cincy, Houston, South Florida, Temple, Tulane and UCF a/k/a New BSU, would be interested in having you bring uninvited guests?

I am saying it is possible.  Even if there is a small chance that the MWC losses Boise as well as one or two other schools the MWC needs to be very careful in playing hardball.  Hell if such a change would mean the AAC could renegotiate their TV contract sooner than 11 years it might even be probable that those schools would want that.  Again, if there is even a small chance this could blow up in such a way all sides should be very thoughtful in how things are handled.   

30 minutes ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

If both sides dig in there is a risk this could happen. The conference has pressure from all the other members for a more equal split and Boise needs to make sure it’s getting the most it can. As a Wyoming fan I have a low risk tolerance for this type of brinksmanship. If the conference implodes we are going to at best end up in C-USA. 

Exactly this.  

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Even if there is a small chance that the MWC losses Boise as well as one or two other schools the MWC needs to be very careful in playing hardball.  

Great point. We all know that SUDS will do whatever Boise State tells it to do. So if we go to the AAC and snap our finger at SUDS to come along, the MWC is suddenly without their two strongest athletic programs.

Tread lightly Hair.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Exactly this.  

Exactly false.  BSU would leave, no one else from the MWC would be invited and/or want to go, BSU would get cold feet and scamper back.  Meanwhile, BYU would be dry-humping everyone's leg to see how it can best profit from the confusion. 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Great point. We all know that SUDS will do whatever Boise State tells it to do. So if we go to the AAC and snap our finger at SUDS to come along, the MWC is suddenly without their two strongest athletic programs.

Tread lightly Hair.

Hair doesn't need to tread lightly, what hair needs....

image.png.250196f0d37b9f6eb5e4916b651d1b24.png

2 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

False.  BSU would leave, no one else from the MWC would be invited and/or want to go, BSU would get cold feet and scamper back.  Meanwhile, BYU would be dry-humping everyone's leg to see how it can best profit from the confusion. 

Oh I think some would go, especially if say 5 offers were sent out for 2 open spots (Boise plus two).  I think you would see schools fight to not want to be the ones left in a greatly reduced MWC without the others.  Whether they would be invited is a different question.  If the MWC gets a few NY6 games in the next 6 years, or if the AAC would be able to get out of their 12 year contract early, you would see the votes needed.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Oh I think some would go, especially if say 5 offers were sent out for 2 open spots (Boise plus two).  I think you would see schools fight to not want to be the ones left in a greatly reduced MWC without the others.  Whether they would be invited is a different question.  If the MWC gets a few NY6 games in the next 6 years, or if the AAC would be able to get out of their 12 year contract early, you would see the votes needed.

You, I, @Spaztecs@fanhood, and the American people all know that SUDS will do whatever it is Boise State tells them to do.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You think the AAC, with BSU as their 12th school, is would want to go to 14?

1 minute ago, VandalPride97 said:

You think the AAC, with BSU as their 12th school, is would want to go to 14?

If they could renegotiate in 5 years as opposed to 11 on their T.V. deal?  Abso-fucing-lutely.  OR if Boise and say one other school out of SDSU, UNLV, CSU, and AFA snag a few NY6 bowls from the AAC in the next 6 years I think the votes would be there to ill the competition.

Adding two more time zones and the MWC's best T.V. properties (Boise, SDSU, AFA) would likely be enough to trigger new T.V. negotiations with ESPN. 

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If they could renegotiate in 5 years as opposed to 11 on their T.V. deal?  Abso-fucing-lutely.  OR if Boise and say one other school out of SDSU, UNLV, CSU, and AFA snag a few NY6 bowls from the AAC in the next 6 years I think the votes would be there to ill the competition.

Adding two more time zones and the MWC's best T.V. properties (Boise, SDSU, AFA) would likely be enough to trigger new T.V. negotiations with ESPN. 

Sounds like a monumental stretch of the imagination to me.  The MWC as a whole is best served by resolutely standing its ground.  You guys aren't going anywhere, other MWC teams aren't going anywhere, the AAC is in no position to conduct a nationwide conference raid and hardly anyone in the MWC has any interest in playing AAC teams.  Hair holds all the cards but he's too fukking stupid to play the hand.

I would crush it as MWC commish.