Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Admirer from the East

MWC Boise Blues

18 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

Stationed at the old Naval Air Station Memphis, now NSA Mid-South. Beale Street was a run down dump at the time but you sure could hear some damn good blues if you were adventurous enough to enter one of those old little dives. I was privileged enough to hear the likes of Muddy Waters, B.B. King and Rufus King among others in a couple of those run down juke joints.

It was nothing like the polish.and pomp or modern Beale Street. But it's a hell of a lot cleaner, safer, and more expensive today.

everyone talks about the Fortune 500 companies like FedEx, AutoZone, International Paper, and ServiceMaster that are headquartered here along with the amazing work done at St Jude that ceate jobs...but few realize that Beale St was a run down dump...Graceland was falling apart...and Sun was about to be condemned until it was turned into a massive local tourism industry that create even more jobs. One of the really smart things Memphis has done is capitalize on it's heritage.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Memphis has amazing BBQ along with Beale St, Graceland, the Grizz, St Jude, the Civil Rights Museum, Sun Studios, Stax Records, the list goes on...folks love to talk crap about Detroit but when I visited in 2005 for the Motor City Bowl I had a lot of fun. Don't judge a city based on hearsay...go see for yourself and you might be surprised.

Detroit is a much better city than it gets credit for. It's really been revitalized. I was super impressed... although my expectations were low going into it

12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

everyone talks about the Fortune 500 companies like FedEx, AutoZone, International Paper, and ServiceMaster that are headquartered here along with the amazing work done at St Jude that ceate jobs...but few realize that Beale St was a run down dump...Graceland was falling apart...and Sun was about to be condemned until it was turned into a massive local tourism industry that create even more jobs. One of the really smart things Memphis has done is capitalize on it's heritage.

I have never heard a single, solitary person talk about any of those things.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I never said the AAC teams would lose money with UConn leaving. I said that UConn's share would not be split between the other members. Big difference. I do think UConn's basketball team was the most valuable property the AAC had. I stand by that.

Being able to remove UConn from their metrics is big for the AAC. UConn has been the wart that pundits point to by saying “you beat UConn!” (tantamount to SJSU)

Football will always be more valuable than basketball. Unfortunately Jim Calhoun retired and it was never the same for them. It was great for the AAC. They got the rub of UConn basketball when Calhoun’s players won the title and then the AAC beat on them for the next 5 years. Wichita State then came in and took their spot.

Article from Sports Business Journal. Since the article is behind a paywall: In short, the AAC’s new ESPN deal is worth more than twice as much as the new Mountain West deal and Boise State doesn’t want to fall that far behind while also giving up ESPN exposure. 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2020/01/20/Media/Boise-State.aspx

2 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Article from Sports Business Journal. Since the article is behind a paywall: In short, the AAC’s new ESPN deal is worth more than twice as much as the new Mountain West deal and Boise State doesn’t want to fall that far behind while also giving up ESPN exposure. 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2020/01/20/Media/Boise-State.aspx

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

38 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Not really.  Some of us have accounts, too.  I was kinda waiting to see who would try to use this first.

#FakeNews  #Cheers

Boise State has "hinted at everything from a lawsuit" to the school "possibly considering leaving" the Mountain West Conference should their extra money from a separate TV rights negotiation for their home football games go away, according to B.J. Rains of the IDAHO PRESS-TRIBUNE. Earlier this month, the MWC finalized new media agreements with CBS Sports and Fox that will pay the conference $270M over six years. When Boise State agreed to rejoin the MWC in '12, the league agreed to let the school have their home football games sold as a separate package to TV networks. But MWC Commissioner Craig Thompson said, "As we move forward, that is the anticipation, that everybody’s membership agreements would get more germane and equal, if you will." However, Rains noted the term sheet Boise State signed with the MWC when they returned to the league "begs to differ" with Thompson's anticipation, as the agreement "shows no expiration date." The conference in a statement indicated that Boise State was not "crazy about ending a longstanding relation with ESPN for Fox, but admitted the new deal was ‘better.'" Rains noted the school now "appears to have two options." It "could sue the Mountain West over the issue and try to keep the extra money beyond this TV deal," or it "could look to leave the Mountain West and join another conference" such as the AAC (IDAHO PRESS-TRIBUNE, 1/18).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

29 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I’m sure @VandalPride97 will be thrilled to hear that Boise State is putting together a team of Concordia’s finest to take on the MWC.   

Concordia?  So you mean I would be thrilled that BSU would be digging its own grave?  You guys would be better off watching My Cousin Vinnie a dozen times and representing yourselves.

17 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Really? I haven't seen the news for a bit but when didn Notre Dame and BYU join a conference?

ND isn’t a free agent; independent and free agent aren’t synonymous.  If they wanted to be in a conference they would be in whatever one they wanted.  I’ll give you BYU but let’s be honest they’re easy to forget, especially this century. So yes, Boise is more interesting than UConn BYU and liberty...woo!

7 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Delmonico, Shak, RSF.. Or however you prefer to be referred...

If you saw it hot off the presses today, you should have posted. SBJ always has their finger on the pulse. 

No, you just completely lied in your synopsis of the article.

22 minutes ago, RSF said:

Not really.  Some of us have accounts, too.  I was kinda waiting to see who would try to use this first.

#FakeNews  #Cheers

Boise State has "hinted at everything from a lawsuit" to the school "possibly considering leaving" the Mountain West Conference should their extra money from a separate TV rights negotiation for their home football games go away, according to B.J. Rains of the IDAHO PRESS-TRIBUNE. Earlier this month, the MWC finalized new media agreements with CBS Sports and Fox that will pay the conference $270M over six years. When Boise State agreed to rejoin the MWC in '12, the league agreed to let the school have their home football games sold as a separate package to TV networks. But MWC Commissioner Craig Thompson said, "As we move forward, that is the anticipation, that everybody’s membership agreements would get more germane and equal, if you will." However, Rains noted the term sheet Boise State signed with the MWC when they returned to the league "begs to differ" with Thompson's anticipation, as the agreement "shows no expiration date." The conference in a statement indicated that Boise State was not "crazy about ending a longstanding relation with ESPN for Fox, but admitted the new deal was ‘better.'" Rains noted the school now "appears to have two options." It "could sue the Mountain West over the issue and try to keep the extra money beyond this TV deal," or it "could look to leave the Mountain West and join another conference" such as the AAC (IDAHO PRESS-TRIBUNE, 1/18).

So, as I was wisely advised in my Negotiation 101 class, all the MWC needs to do now is tell BSU to go eat a dick if they don't like it.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No, you just completely lied in your synopsis of the article.

Well, lets be fair.  He didnt completely lie.

It WAS a SBJ article....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Being able to remove UConn from their metrics is big for the AAC. UConn has been the wart that pundits point to by saying “you beat UConn!” (tantamount to SJSU)

Football will always be more valuable than basketball. Unfortunately Jim Calhoun retired and it was never the same for them. It was great for the AAC. They got the rub of UConn basketball when Calhoun’s players won the title and then the AAC beat on them for the next 5 years. Wichita State then came in and took their spot.

UConn being in the aac is what dropped their brand. A few years in the big east and they will be right back to where they were. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

3 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

So, as I was wisely advised in my Negotiation 101 class, all the MWC needs to do now is tell BSU to go eat a dick if they don't like it.

I think the MWC needs to be careful in how they handle it.  The last time a conference thought they were going to outmaneuver Boise, Boise took Fresno, Nevada, Hawaii and sent Idaho to the FCS.  Boise could sue and would win, probably picking their compensation (20 mil?), and could try and entice other schools to leave with them as they have done twice before.  That is a big risk that must be considered and only a fool would assume there is no way it could happen.