Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Admirer from the East

MWC Boise Blues

Just now, edluvar said:

Why do you think the networks are willing to pay more for BSU content?   

College sports is an entertainment business but at the end of the day entertainment value comes from winning. Boise has won more and if they keep winning they deserve more.

But why should Harsin be paid more for winning 8 games and being mediocre when say the Colorado State coach wins 10 games and is an excellent coach.   Same goes for the assistants.   

If you want to put in a payout driven off ratings I wouldn’t object.  But I would argue it’s a backward looking metric.   Winning is looking forward but perhaps a bonus for P5 wins would make sense. 

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hair has never not been pushed around by Boise.  Since the first day we accepted the invite, we called the shots.  Kustra was the big dick of this conference.  I think with him gone the MWC presidents, Hair and said board thought it would be a good time to probe the new Boise president for weakness.  Clearly, it did not work.

Didn’t work for BSU but for the rest of the conference it worked.

What this is telling is that the rest of the conference is tired of the special deal and ready to deal with ending it.

BSU doesn’t pull coin like Texas does for the Big 12.  Certainly, BSU has not pull in big ratings for TV.  Not to mention BSU has declined in performance for the past 6 years.

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

What this is telling is that the rest of the conference is tired of the special deal and ready to deal with ending it.

BSU doesn’t pull coin like Texas does for the Big 12.  Certainly, BSU has not pull in big ratings for TV.  Not to mention BSU has declined in performance for the past 6 years.

Compared Boise's ratings with the Pac teams who kick off at the same time.  Boise does more than fine.

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

College sports is an entertainment business but at the end of the day entertainment value comes from winning. Boise has won more and if they keep winning they deserve more.

But why should Harsin be paid more for winning 8 games and being mediocre when say the Colorado State coach wins 10 games and is an excellent coach.   Same goes for the assistants.   

If you want to put in a payout driven off ratings I wouldn’t object.  But I would argue it’s a backward looking metric.   Winning is looking forward but perhaps a bonus for P5 wins would make sense. 

Well I’m pretty sure bsu has won more games than other program in the mw since they joined. Not sure what your gripe is. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hair has never not been pushed around by Boise.  Since the first day we accepted the invite, we called the shots.  Kustra was the big dick of this conference.  I think with him gone the MWC presidents, Hair and said board thought it would be a good time to probe the new Boise president for weakness.  Clearly, it did not work.

I think the MWC Presidents have rightly concluded the Boise deal as currently constructed is negative for the conference as a whole.   The MWC would be better off without Boise than with Boise and the current deal.   

Hopefully they can arrive at a compromise that rewards performance for all teams.

6 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I would be interested in what the MWCs media deal would be like without BSU.    

Posted Image

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

I think the MWC Presidents have rightly concluded the Boise deal as currently constructed is negative for the conference as a whole.   The MWC would be better off without Boise than with Boise and the current deal.   

Hopefully they can arrive at a compromise that rewards performance for all teams.

I doubt a single MWC president shares that thought.

Just now, sactowndog said:

If nothing else I would be fine if it ended simply to end ill will with our peer institutions and their boosters.  It is tiring.

39 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Renegotiate to what?  It’s a wash if Fox takes away the BSU bonus .  No harm done to the rest of the conference.

I am sure CBS would have valid legal reason to void the contract after losing Boise away games.  The majority of the fox Boise bonus already goes to the MWC pot.  Boise keeps a slice.  The TV contract be renegotiated and money would go down measurably for all schools.

5 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Well I’m pretty sure bsu has won more games than other program in the mw since they joined. Not sure what your gripe is. 

I think I have been pretty clear....

If Wyoming or Utah State make the Championship game over Boise then their coaches should receive a performance bonus without Utah State or Wyoming going millions in debt to fund it.   

If San Diego State or Fresno State win the MWC Championship game, they should be able to pay their coaches performance bonuses without going millions in debt to fund it.   

if Boise wins their division or the championship game they should likewise be able to pay their coaches.   But we shouldn’t pay Boise coaches for mediocre results while other coaches go starving.  

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If nothing else I would be fine if it ended simply to end ill will with our peer institutions and their boosters.  It is tiring.

I hope for the good of the conference they find a middle ground that truly rewards performance for all schools.  

I’m leaning towards leaving.  The lack of support from the conference and commissioner over the NY6 race.  Breaking contracts.   Would be nice to play a few ranked teams in conference 

Posted Image

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am sure CBS would have valid legal reason to void the contract after losing Boise away games.  The majority of the fox Boise bonus already goes to the MWC pot.  Boise keeps a slice.  The TV contract be renegotiated and money would go down measurably for all schools.

Doubt it would go down measurably. Probably on 200k/year for each school. 3 million year loss - 1.6 million BSU gets off the top is 1.4 million net loss for the rest of the conference.

2 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I’m leaning towards leaving.  The lack of support from the conference and commissioner over the NY6 race.  Breaking contracts.   Would be nice to play a few ranked teams in conference 

feel free to join BYU in independence.

2 minutes ago, edluvar said:

Really? What influence would he have on the CFP committee?   If he huff and puff about BSU it wouldn’t change the committee’s decision. 

3 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Doubt it would go down measurably. Probably on 200k/year for each school. 3 million year loss - 1.6 million BSU gets off the top is 1.4 million net loss for the rest of the conference.

Where are you getting those numbers?  Link?